Moultrie Mobile
Wyoming Elk
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
LckyTylr 24-Mar-14
LckyTylr 24-Mar-14
BowMad23 25-Mar-14
24-Mar-14
Another "Where to Hunt in xxxxx State" . . . My Apologies.

I drew a General Elk Tag in Wyoming this year. I'm from Idaho, so I can't hunt in the Wilderness Areas. After doing some internet research and calling a few biologists, I'm leaning towards 84. Also looking at 89, 90 and 92.

I'm not after a Giant (although that would be fantastic). I'm after a good representation of the species. Small 6 or big 5.

I have not yet killed an elk. It's been a 5 year quest to do so, I have limited myself to killing my first with a Bow . . . or tag soup. So far, I've developed a lot of really good soup recipes. I've learned a LOT in those 5 years and have had a lot of close encounters so my confidence in killing a bull this year is really high (Not by choice, but I'm a solo hunter, lot's of close calls that don't yield shots).

I'm in good physical shape and will be in excellent physical shape by opener. I can dedicate 2 bonsai weekend scouting trips prior to the Archery Opener and plan to cover some ground and have a good game plan for my two planned 5-day Archery and single planned 5-day rifle trips (yes, I'm allowing myself to break my commitment on this, it's an expensive ordeal to hunt out of state, I'm unwilling to eat my tag this year).

So, with all of that said, does anyone have experience with any of the units listed above, or do you have experience with any of the other units on the Western side of Wyoming. I'd appreciate any advice, whether it be as vague as "pick this unit" or "try this 10 square mile area".

Thanks in advance. I'm pretty excited, been running a lot and slobbering . . . but I think I'm thinking elk a little too much.

24-Mar-14
Another "Where to Hunt in xxxxx State" . . . My Apologies.

I drew a General Elk Tag in Wyoming this year. I'm from Idaho, so I can't hunt in the Wilderness Areas. After doing some internet research and calling a few biologists, I'm leaning towards 84. Also looking at 89, 90 and 92.

I'm not after a Giant (although that would be fantastic). I'm after a good representation of the species. Small 6 or big 5.

I have not yet killed an elk. It's been a 5 year quest to do so, I have limited myself to killing my first with a Bow . . . or tag soup. So far, I've developed a lot of really good soup recipes. I've learned a LOT in those 5 years and have had a lot of close encounters so my confidence in killing a bull this year is really high (Not by choice, but I'm a solo hunter, lot's of close calls that don't yield shots).

I'm in good physical shape and will be in excellent physical shape by opener. I can dedicate 2 bonsai weekend scouting trips prior to the Archery Opener and plan to cover some ground and have a good game plan for my two planned 5-day Archery and single planned 5-day rifle trips (yes, I'm allowing myself to break my commitment on this, it's an expensive ordeal to hunt out of state, I'm unwilling to eat my tag this year).

So, with all of that said, does anyone have experience with any of the units listed above, or do you have experience with any of the other units on the Western side of Wyoming. I'd appreciate any advice, whether it be as vague as "pick this unit" or "try this 10 square mile area".

Thanks in advance. I'm pretty excited, been running a lot and slobbering . . . but I think I'm thinking elk a little too much.

25-Mar-14
I have hunted pretty much all those areas at least a little. You are welcome to PM me if you like.

• Sitka Gear