Barty1970 28-Mar-14
GregE 28-Mar-14
GregE 28-Mar-14
Elkman52 28-Mar-14
GregE 28-Mar-14
flip 02-Apr-14
elkmtngear 02-Apr-14
25-Mar-14
Heading out to Bull Basin in September with 2 other family members for a CO archery elk hunt.

Already practicing and thinking about supplies etc.

Anyone have any great advice or pictures of elk from CO.

25-Mar-14

John Scifres's embedded Photo
John Scifres's embedded Photo

John Scifres's Link
Here's my album from 2011: http://jdspics.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=12198267

25-Mar-14
Enjoy yourself and don't expect to have a 350 bull come running out of the timber every time you honk on a Hoochie Mama or bugle like they do on the Primos videos.

All the great advice you'll ever need can be found on the threads on this forum. Should be enough to keep you busy and keep your head spinning until September rolls around.

Good luck!

25-Mar-14
Get in shape, start now! Your body will thank you later.

25-Mar-14
I did my first elk hunt last fall. I have two tidbits of advice.

1. Before you practice shooting each day, sprint 100 yards uphill while holding your breath. When you start seeing the bright lights right before you lose consciousness, blow on your bugle as hard as you can while your friend punches you in the gut. At that point you can take your practice shot.

2. Start saving up for a tag for Sept. 2015!

Don't forget to take lots of pictures. You will have a blast and it will be a trip you will want to remember.

Good luck!

25-Mar-14
Man, look at all that beetle killed timber...sad, aint it!

26-Mar-14
If you go once then you have to do it every year...

26-Mar-14
"Before you practice shooting each day, sprint 100 yards uphill while holding your breath. When you start seeing the bright lights right before you lose consciousness, blow on your bugle as hard as you can while your friend punches you in the gut. At that point you can take your practice shot."

LOL:-D

My darling fiancee will take a really keen interest in my practice sessions if I adopt this 'ultra' approach...

Joking aside, I will have to start building in some 'pressured' shooting sequences into my regimen...angles, positions, ability/inability to breath/focus...

26-Mar-14
Barty, Are you going this year?

27-Mar-14
Shoot the first legal elk you have a good shot at.

Practice shooting from awkward positions, like on both knees.

Get in a good set up BEFORE you start calling, it can and sometimes does happen fast.

Elknut is you friend, get his DVDs and Play Book. Read, listen and practice.

Get a "pocket sized" camera. Keep it handy and take lots of photos.

Practice judging distances, sometimes there is no time to use a rangefinder.

27-Mar-14
Hi Midwest Looking at 2015; I'll be forty-five 'n' fighting fit (well, that's the plan)...perfect practice makes perfect

I'm giving serious thought to taking the first week as a guided hunt and then second week DIY; still trying to figure where though

27-Mar-14

Ace of Spades's embedded Photo
Ace of Spades's embedded Photo
Spike hunt or hunting from the road? Big differences in gear needs! Some great insight on here either way, kind of vague for us to give you too many tips. No matter what, make sure you smile and take it all in!

Josh

27-Mar-14
We will be hunting from a ranch house. Pinto Valley is one of the ranches that Bull Basin operates.

First time elk hunting for me so I wasn't yet interested in the SPIKE camp. Did that caribou hunting and it was quite an experience. This 50 year old guy like a solid roof over his head.

Picked CO because it was easy for the 3 of us to get tags. We go on a trip every year out west and mid west. Been deer hunting in MT,SD and IL the past 10 years and just wanted to try something different.

27-Mar-14
Will, Get in better shape than you think you need to be in. Have a great hunt, shoot the first legal elk, take tons of photos, learn as much as you can, and start saving for next year. Elk hunting is an addiction you will never want to kick. Sleeping under a roof in elk camp is great but sleeping under the stars while spiking out is even better. May the wind be in your face..........

27-Mar-14

nothin better than sharin it with family.Took the son along last year, his first trip.We hunt colorado public land and a PY bull is truly a gift on this dirt.He got his gift!270" first bull he ever called in.Packin a critter out on ur back is alot of work for an old man like me, but when its your boys it sure is sweet!Enjoy the mountains and the time u have with family.Good Huntin!

27-Mar-14
"sleeping under the stars while spiking out is even better"

Well, unless you get one of those weather patterns where it socks in for 4-5 straight days and snows 14" of wet cement! Then the old hard-side trailer or wall tent feels awfully good.

;-)

27-Mar-14

PaWapiti's embedded Photo
PaWapiti's embedded Photo
I went on my first Elk hunt in o4 it is addictive. Now I spend all year dreaming about the 10 days I get to spend here.

28-Mar-14
AVOID THE FRONTAL SHOT at all costs. it is tempting but highly ineffective.

28-Mar-14
Like any shot, it should be avoided IF you can't make it. Exceptionally lethal IF you can.

28-Mar-14
406, Bou is just trying to do a little pot stirring for some reason.

Hope you have a great CO elk hunt, Will!

28-Mar-14
Practicing all of the time. Pretty good at long range. Shot 3 nice MD stalking in South Dakota over the past 3 years.

45, 52 and 65 yards. All three(suprisingly) were shot through the heart. Heart was just a lot of luck but hitting in around middle of the chest was from the 1000's of arrows in the back yard.

Thinking of switching from the Slick Tricks to Razor tricks and keeping everything else the same.

The Bear Anarchy set at 65 should be just the ticket.

Guess I better start running up a hill and then shoot some.

28-Mar-14
Listen to whatever BigDan says. Period. He knows, y'know.

28-Mar-14

GregE's embedded Photo
GregE's embedded Photo

GregE's Link
Hoping to get back to NW CO again this September. Pictures and story linked. Start conditioning now, there is no O2 above 9000', pace yourself.

Greg

28-Mar-14

GregE's embedded Photo
GregE's embedded Photo

GregE's Link
ELK are big ( leg/ scapula from small 3x4) and it's easy to point not aim. Read BB's 'Where to Aim" threads. With his ok I borrowed the idea and some of his pictures.

28-Mar-14
flip how old is that!!!

28-Mar-14

GregE's Link
OK, one more, check out how the bones and muscles move on this 6x6 linked video as he walks past me at 10 yards. Filmed with my handheld Panasonic Lumix camera near the Yellowstone N Gate. ( I started 200 yards away, they fed past me...)

ELKman the picture is Dec '07, the apron much earlier.... :)

02-Apr-14
Elk man I know ishould just keep my mouth shut because last year i met a guy in the mountains that was 70s and he could have run circles around me. Im 56 and in fair shape with no health issues so ill keep going as long as i can.Want to get that next generation started out there so when i cant do it anymore they can carry on!

02-Apr-14
I'm with you flip. I met two guys about 1 1/2 miles down in the Wilderness area last Season...two brothers in their 80s!

Gave me hope for future (I'm 53)!

• Sitka Gear