Huntcell 28-Mar-14
Turk 28-Mar-14
Turk 28-Mar-14
midwest 28-Mar-14
Turk 28-Mar-14
txhunter58 28-Mar-14
samman 04-Apr-14
28-Mar-14
Has anyone ever used your points before getting back your unsuccessful refunds? I an curious how they would handle that. I was thinking of using mine and then I remembered that I will getting back a sizable refund ( unless I get real lucky)

28-Mar-14
Scott I think most states that you charge your licenses to place the purchase price into a state account. And when they do their refunds the state issues the refund check and it does not go back through Cabelas like a returned item would.

For instance Cody and I just applied in colorado for multiple species and our totals were over three grand. We will get most of that back and get points to boot.

I hope you have a great turkey season. BB

28-Mar-14
I believe New Mexico refunds your card. I can't think of any other state that does though

28-Mar-14
New Mexico will be refunding a lot since they changed the draw rules after the application period closed for sheep and a couple others species last week

I have been getting points from cabelas cc to the tune 10-15 k for many years and get most money back from apps, since I rarely draw the thirty some tags I apply for

28-Mar-14
Yes, NM is the state that I am asking about. I get a large refund from them ( as most of us do). I started to use my points the other day then I remembered that NM would be returning a large sum to my card and that I would actually be loosing those points. I was just curious what would happen if I had already used them?

28-Mar-14
I have no idea where that video came from!!!!

28-Mar-14
Turk, the points are yours to use. If you have a zero balance on your card when NM refunds come out, you would have credit on your account. As you use that credit, you would not be gaining any points so it will even out in the end. Make sense?

28-Mar-14
Ok, yes I see now. Thanks for clearing that up Midwest.

28-Mar-14
The reason you get "points" is because when the state charges your card, they pay a percentage to the Visa. They get that money regardless of who pays them back (you or the state).

And for that reason, I think Midwest is wrong, you would still get the points on future purchases even though you have a credit balance because they still make their money on the retailer.

That being said, if everyone paid off their balance every month and didn't pay any interest, they would probably have to do away with point systems Guys like me that can charge $20,000/month and pay it off in full every month (business expenses) and not the norm.

04-Apr-14
I don't think he's saying he would pay off his credit balance, but if he uses the points earned on the charge for the tag fee before the refund comes, what would happen. Usually Cabela's gives you points based on total charges for the month minus the credits for refunds. So, if you have a balance of points earned at the end of the month, those points are yours. If the next month you get a refund of $700, that would come off your total charges for the next month. So say you charged $1000 minus the $700 refund, you would only earn points on the $300 balance at the end of the month. The only case I'm not sure of would be if you charged nothing or something less than the $700 refund, you would get 0 points that month I assume. You could call them, but I wouldn't. You may open up a can of worms you don't want.

• Sitka Gear