Jody Cyr 02-Apr-14
midwest 02-Apr-14
woodguy65 02-Apr-14
Bob H in NH 03-Apr-14
huntnfish808 03-Apr-14
timbo 03-Apr-14
BlisteredHooves 06-Apr-14
31-Mar-14
It Insanity again as I prep for elk season. Day 1 and the fit test kicked my butt. This is going to be a long 60 days, but I feel great about feeling so lousy. My daughter has been training for her first half marathon for next month and she is inspiring me to push hard. Couple that with the mountain motivation, and this Illinois flat lander will push through the pain.

31-Mar-14
Good luck to you !

01-Apr-14
I really like that program. Plan on doing it as soon as I can.

01-Apr-14
Great program. Butt kicker for sure.

01-Apr-14
Take it easy at first. Don't try to keep up if you are struggling. It is high impact training and it can take a toll on you.

01-Apr-14
Good luck to you. I've started the program twice - really improves your cardio. The first week is a lot of pain - til the recovery day.

Got to day 57 of 63 the first time and day 60 of 63 the second time. Next time I start it, I'll finish it.

01-Apr-14
This will be my third time doing it in the last four years. I have finished it both times before, but near then end life always seems to make it a struggle (finding the time). I was really surprised how "out of shape" I have gotten. Plan is to do two rounds before elk season. May be going alone this year, so want to make sure I don't have lack of being in shape as an excuse for not pushing up the mountain.

01-Apr-14
Being a coach I encourage my wrestlers to get involved with Crossfit or a program in which your forced to participate in if nothing more than because you PAID for it. You have a trainer there pushing you and making you achieve your set goals and they train you to lift properly and do the program correctly.

IMO, the problem with instantly or PX90 is you can quit it or put it off anytime you feel like it. If you really want to do it right and push yourself to stick with it join a Crossfit organization. Then you won’t start 2 or 3 times and never finish.

The kids I have had go within 6 months have increased their stamina and body core strength nearly twice as much as it was before they started. Some would have quit if it wasn’t for the money their parents put up for it. Its an extra added incentive to stick with it. Insanity and PX90 is too close to home…literally. It’s too easy to quit.

GBA

01-Apr-14
Good for you CT............ even when I did Insanity start to finish, lost a lot of weight and got in pretty good shape, the wife still kept her hands to herself. LOL!!!!!!

I'm doing the program again currently, but not 6 days a week. I'll hit it hard again after turkey season is done.......... before we go to the beach!!! I gotta look better than the rest of the family!!!!!!

01-Apr-14
What GotBowAZ said.

Short of training in the mountains I think the best training is year round Crossfit if you have a facility close to your home.

01-Apr-14
Just out out of curiosity, how old are you guys? I am 47 and I have done p90X year round in a modified short version, with mixed in walking, hockey, etc., and I find that if I do more than 20-30 minutes of the p90 workouts for multiple months I end up with injuries. Talking about insanity for full workouts, 6 days a week-you guys have to be genetic freaks, or maybe did not use your bodies hard in your teens, 20's and 30's. Or maybe I am just old and soft....that's probably the case. You talk like a bunch of 20/30 year olds but someone mentioned a daughter training for a marathon; you can't be that young unless you had her when you were 10: ).

01-Apr-14
And am getting the winter funk The p90x3 workouts look decent. I have done p90x 5 or 6 times in the last 5 years. Am in week 9 now and am feeling great getting the winter fluff off and will do a modified version with some running after wards. This is the only time of year I can do this as time is too tight. The p90x3 workouts advertise as 30 min. That's for me!

02-Apr-14
Before and after pictures...'that was me before elk archery season...'

I like the idea of having paid for a class/having someone pushing you

02-Apr-14
Be careful w/ the crossfit cult. Very high rate of injury.

02-Apr-14
Bownarrow, I'm 50. I was never in great cardio shape until I tried elk hunting the first time several years ago and did Insanity the first time. But, I have always been pretty well in shape concerning leg and upper body strength. So far, so good, all my aches and pains are just sore muscles, by hey, its just day 3.

02-Apr-14
Crossfit Cult?? Pretty storng words dont you think Ohiohunter? Have you ever done crossfit? I have a strong hunch you have never even stepped foot in a crossfit enviroment much less know anything about it.

Individauls that get hurt are doing so because they arent doing the program correctly. This is why the trainers/instructors are so addimit about proper training and they dont cut you loose on your own until they know your doing it right.

It is a program designed for core stregnth through muscle confusion. It makes for some lean mean athletes, hunters and the like. and it's really no different then PX90 with an insturctor pushing you to make the goals set in place by a redgimented program.

GBA

02-Apr-14
I've fallen in love with most of the Insanity girls at one time or another. Pretty sure the feeling was mutual. Great program. I've done P90X and P90X2 a couple of times. Just started P90X3 this week. Really digging the 30 minute workouts. Even halfway enjoyed the yoga workout.

Anything that you can do in your house, and have the commitment to stick with it, is the best program you can have. Too many things get in the way when you have to travel to workout. Having an in home workout, good diet, and access to some type of hunting terrain related workout every week or two outside is perfect.

02-Apr-14
37 years old Just finished the Insanity program for the first time. Actually gained about 3 pounds.

Took a week off and now doing the T25 and running at night. This T25 may be a little tough to get used to as it has a little more dance feel to it!

02-Apr-14
Like anything, you get out of it what you put into it. I've done a few rounds of P90X and P90X2. I can push myself pretty hard, but nothing compares to having a personal trainer pushing you.

02-Apr-14
I'm 48, currently I'm on my 9th week of P90X - this is my 4th time completing it.

I played sports through high school and college, I can push myself far more than a trainer.

However, I agree that is the problem with the majority of people.

I modify the workouts slightly - I add more weights, and I avoid some of the lower back stuff - I still work the back - I just use a different exercise.

I have a commercial grade high lat - low row machine in my basement. I use free weights instead of the bands on all upper body.

I sub the T-25 instead of the Kenpo and I completely skip yoga.

I agree with above - it can be prone to some shoulder injury with this w/o.

03-Apr-14
I'm 50 in 2 more months and did insanity start to finish last winter, now doing t-25. T25 is significantly easier, but not easy

The key, for me, is routine. I got into a good routine when I got home from work and it felt like cheating on Friday, my off day.

I actually dropped almost nothing after the first 2 weeks, when the second half kicked in (much harder), I dropped another 9 lbs, had abs and should muscles for the first time since college, yes the wife liked the look

03-Apr-14
I've been doing crossfit for 2 years and recently a good friend pinched his sciatic nerve and may have to miss our African hunt! If you do it you have to listen to your body and don't be too proud to use weights that are right for you. SOOOOOO many guys at our gym try to lift too heavy and they have crap form and guess what...they get hurt.

03-Apr-14
Huntfish808 You hit the nail right on the head. I’m 60 and always kept myself in shape. Then I ended up giving my self a double hernia in 2011. In December of 2012 I had the hernias fixed while in the process of moving to Colorado and between the operation not going exactly as planned and being laid up for longer than the 12 weeks I fell out of my regular workout routine. Then last season I was struggling getting up and down the mountains chasing elk at 11,000 feet. So this past December I rejoined the YMCA to gradually work myself back into shape. Well I pushed myself too hard trying to keep up with the young muscle men now I am in physical therapy from aggravating old sports injuries and back to doing moderate weights and cardio. I also reread the Bowsite article by Dwight Schuhn “Hunting Fitness 101” and back to long brisk walks with the dog every morning carrying a back pack with ever increasing weight. Bottom line it is far easier to stay in shape than it is to get back in shape. Listen to your body.

06-Apr-14
People laugh when I tell em how hard it is to hunt elk. You stay in the mountains for 45-60 days chasing elk and you will be in great shape. Mountain shape is so different than a lot of other training.

• Sitka Gear