BULELK1 04-Apr-14
LckyTylr 05-Apr-14
BULELK1 05-Apr-14
Mule Power 05-Apr-14
WYelkhunter 05-Apr-14
LckyTylr 06-Apr-14
BULELK1 07-Apr-14
02-Apr-14
Looking at either lower 84 or 89 for Wyoming Elk as a Non-Res. I will be able to scout twice this summer. I plan on hunting two long weekends during archery season and for a full week during rifle (plus maybe one more additional long weekend if I can't get it done by then). I see that Non-Res success rates are between 34 and 35 % for those units.

Anybody have any knowledge of either unit. Pros / Cons / Suggestions?

Thank you.

02-Apr-14
I think the very first item of hunting dates should be -----

When do the Rifle Deer hunters show up for their Rifle deer opener.

Simply cross reference 84/89 elk units with the Region Rifle deer hunt opener....

Enjoy my friend,

Good luck, Robb

02-Apr-14
So, bad news for me then . . . because rifle deer (for the locations I'm looking at) start Sept 15 . . . Wonderful!

Why he hell would they do that, that's right in the middle of the Elk Rut. Hey, I have an idea, let's call everybody we know, give them a rifle, and then see if we can really screw up a mating season!

Argh, maybe I'm upset about nothing, I'm thinking about the Boise Army that floods the forests on opening week of rifle deer . . . I pack up and go home usually.

03-Apr-14
I plan that 15th & 16th as laundry day, restock my supplies, maybe run up to Jackson Hole and do some tourist gig and shopping...give my body/muscles a break...

Kinda give the Pumpkin Patch swarm of blaze orange a day or two...haha

Good luck, Robb

03-Apr-14
In my experience, the MD hunters won't bother you. In fact they can help you.

Most the MD hunters are on the ridge tops. You are in the timber at least 1000' vertical below them. The rifle hunters are many times happy to share there intel with you also as you are not a threat to your hunt.

My experience might have some deer lower, but generally they are does and small bucks. The bigger ones are in the upper basins, near the scrub tree line. (IE where the MD hunters are looking)

Can't help you on those individual units though.

03-Apr-14
Like I stated on the first thread you started: You can PM if you have any questions specifically to these Areas.

I will say to Z Barebow's comment: Yes, the actual mule deer may be at the higher elevations, but a lot of times rifle hunters stay lower, often right on the main trails. I would say that each circumstance varies as to whether or not they affect the hunt.

03-Apr-14
RE: BowMad. I would glass guys (MD hunters) hiking in on the main trails. The TH looked like a Walmart parking lot. (Horse trailers, etc)

I didn't witness any one hunting off of them. (Not to say that it doesn't happen).

In 2009, I would hear rifle shots. But I was hunting one ridge over from main trail. I saw one set of boot prints in three days and hard to say what this guy was hunting.

I had bulls bugling every day and killed on eve of day 3.

I know this is anecdotal, but like BowMad mentions. Your situation may vary.

03-Apr-14
Simple question here Z---

How do all those high basin ridge hunters get up there??

Yeh---they all start at the bottom and hunt UP....trailhead or NO trailhead they all start from the bottom---

I am not real fond of wearing blaze orange to be safe while the lead is flying from the rifle deer hutners-- ha-- but a guys had better be safe and seen!

+1 BowMad23....

Good luck, Robb

04-Apr-14
True Robb. Where I hunted, everything started low and you had to work your way up. If the season is open and they saw a deer from the trail, I am sure they would have no problem in pulling rifle out of scabbard and leveling off.

I had orange in my pack, but I didn't wear it. I HATE wearing orange as a bow hunter.

Keep in mind you will witness increased activity on the trails before the 15th, as guys either hike in or ride in on their horses to set up camp.

04-Apr-14
+1 Z...

As the Campsites----start to get filled up along the FS roadways and left with no one there--- till the night before the opener of the Rifle hunt...

Granted, the FS folks are real strict about the 14 day camp rule....but for hell sakes! haha

That is why I have moved my camp north into the Region E overlap elk hunt units....NADA in Mid-Sept.!

Be safe my friend----

Good luck, Robb

05-Apr-14
Are there really that many Deer Hunters that it's something that I need to be worried about. I didn't think there were enough cities / towns scattered about to really have the volume of hunters that it would take to fill up FS roads and trailheads. Hunting anywhere within a 3 hour drive of Boise is like that . . . because there are so damn many hunters in this valley and none of us want to drive more than a few hours to get to a spot . . . but in WY . . . is it really that bad?

05-Apr-14
Those overlap deer units are OTC unlimited for ressy's....

You will see Wyo plates from Cheyenne....Rock Springs...Casper----statewide.

I feel giving you more a heads-up about the possibility of crowd control is better than just telling ya to go.

That is one reason I always hunt the 7/8th of Sept. week first and then roll into the 15th---Sept week knowing I will have some company some years on the mountain.

Good luck, Robb

05-Apr-14
Not to mention Jackson, Alpine, & Afton. Yeah... orange won't be your favorite color come the 15th in those units.

05-Apr-14
yes there are a lot of deer hunters. It makes a big difference especially opening weekend. Lots of Non res deer hunters also. We avoid right before and the first couple of days of deer season and the first weekend of deer season can also be a zoo.

06-Apr-14
Good to know, thanks everyone. I'm going to adjust my vacation schedule. If I wanted to be in Blaze Orange Parade, I'd go back to hunt PA and NY. Yuck!

07-Apr-14
Sent ya a PM Tyler.

Good luck, Robb

• Sitka Gear