Tundra Monkey 05-Apr-14
SteveD 06-Apr-14
ABQBW 06-Apr-14
BULELK1 06-Apr-14
ABQBW 06-Apr-14
ridgerunnerron 06-Apr-14
ABQBW 06-Apr-14
02-Apr-14
I was wondering how many guys can afford applying in Nevada with their expensive license and application fees? It costs over $200/year to apply for all species. X 10 years that is a whopping $2,000! I don't know about you but I can do a lot with $2k!

I noticed that NV allows applicants to skip a year without loosing their points. Another option is to apply for tags but get your license refunded and not gain bonus pts. I currently have 13 bonus pts and am considering applying every other year or just apply for licenses without gaining an additional bonus pt. From what I remember they cube bonus pts so those with more have a better chance to draw.

It's getting the point in most Western states that the price for applying is pushing many guys out of the draws....pretty sad deal!

02-Apr-14
You are correct. Sad.

02-Apr-14
Naaaa, just have to budget for it....

02-Apr-14
Right there with you Jim.

The entire New Mexico debacle has me re-thinking my annual commitment to the Western state draws. Don't get me wrong, I realize playing the draws has always been a gamble...and the rules are always subject to change. But in this case, the rules changed after the application period closed and they had my money. That really drives the point home.

Costs to apply continue to inflate...almost as quickly as the cost of premium tags. I think it is time for me personally to bow out of at least four states...and keep a closer eye on actions of those states which remain on my list. It's not the money so much as the principle....enough is enough.

02-Apr-14
$220/12 months = around $18/month to save up and apply just for NV...no guarantee of ever drawing a tag and fees may go up in the next few years! If it takes 20 years of applying @ $220/year to draw a tag that is around $4,400. That doesn't include the price of the tag! What if I want to apply my son or other family for nonres tags...holy smokes!

If it comes to the point that it costs $220/year in 4 different states to apply that comes to $880/year in application costs. Multiply that by 20 years (which it often takes to draw some tags) and that's $17,600 to apply in 4 states for 20 years. That doesn't guarantee 1 tag nor include the price of a tag once drawn!

It may not currently cost $220/year to apply in 4 states but potentially that could happen! If I told my wife I was spending over $17,000 to apply in 4 states for 20 years my stuff would be out the door!

02-Apr-14
I've always considered Nevada as one of the best states to apply in. Great point system! Great critters when you draw! Fair to Non-residents with tags! A guy might not ever draw a Sheep tag in Nevada but you can hunt deer every couple years & applying for all the other species makes the license fee reasonable. Besides that Nevada designates tags for Non-Residents so at least we know there's a chance to draw! David

02-Apr-14
"From what I remember they cube bonus pts"

Just a minor correction, they square pts, at least that's what I recall.

02-Apr-14
Yep, you are right...square the number of years plus add 1 bonus pt for the year you apply.

02-Apr-14
"Besides that Nevada designates tags for Non-Residents so at least we know there's a chance to draw!"

your so right that's why I don't apply Idaho and should have never started Montana (13 years in for the big three species ). there vague NR tag draw system gets under my skin

02-Apr-14
It warms my heart to see more guys contemplating the stark financial reality of most high-demand NR draws. For me the mantra of "APPLY, APPLY, APPLY" has been replaced with "APPLY SMARTER".

Not that I won't still be applying, purely as a gambler, in NV and other states. But its wise to constantly evaluate these draws on a simple financial basis, and consider every alternative.

jims- The notion of applying to NV for elk and sheep without gaining points would not make sense to me. By NV squaring points, the odds to draw elk or sheep without gaining points are too poor to make it worthwhile. With your total of 13, I'd keep gaining points. You're in too deep to quit! Archery deer might be the exception, with a better chance to draw w/o points. The best alternative might be to move there!

02-Apr-14
The easy solution is to go hunt deer and get some use out of that license. You can hunt deer nearly every year. Then the few bucks more that you have to spend to apply or build points for elk is no biggie. And IMO, even it it does cost $4400 to apply after 20 years, the tag that you will eventually draw will likely provide a much better elk hunting experience than you could buy for $4400. I don't see the cost as excessive personally. Cost is only an issue in the absence of value, and personally, I see plenty of value. Maybe change your perspective. Or drop out of the game, better odds for me.

03-Apr-14
How ya getting off so cheap jims!! ha

My Nv. was $282.00 OTD. $144.50/license back in mid-March and $137.50 last week applying.

Wait till they go All $$$ up front and then refunded 2-3 months later.....that is gonna have some brown eye pucker power!!

Good luck, Robb

03-Apr-14
I feel your frustration in the continued higher fees to apply to hunt the premier areas of the west. A good friend of my works for the state of WY and has told me they are continually watching and reviewing draw systems to try to increase revenue just as any other business does. The Apply ,apply, apply mentality is similar to "come sign=up for THIS credit card ", now your hooked!

I'm personally doing my best to burn my points where feasible and hunt areas that may not be THE TOP UNIT, but provide good opportunity. Reason ?, in 25 years playing this game my best bulls, 350, 2 330's ,couple others over 300,along with a 180,174,and 160 mule deer all taken with general or over the counter tags. As for the couple Great Tags I've drawn, I shot only fair to good animals, have no chance or will have to wait 20 years to draw again ,and wasted a lot of money that could have been used to hunt other spices with better opportunity to draw . I wish all in the draws the best but I've found better ways to invest my hard earned hunting dollars than to fund the someone else's pockets.

03-Apr-14
Great points guys! It certainaly gets a guy to sit back and think about where hunting is headed! It makes me wonder what happens to kids just starting out and what things are going to be like in the years to come!

03-Apr-14
x2 jims. I grew up in the mid-west and getting tags was as easy as going to the gas station and still is. I am grateful for that opportunity and had I been waiting years to ever go on my first hunting trip, well I probably would've taken my interest elsewhere.

In TX it seems (i haven't experienced it) that hunting is a wealthy man's sport. TX hunting will spread, its a matter of time. I just hope I'm not here to witness it.

03-Apr-14
Nevada is one state that I don't think twice about applying for since drawing an archery elk tag in 2007 with 6 points (& 6% odds). That tag allowed me to experience the best elk hunt of my life. Just having the privilege to lay eyes on two ~400" bulls in bow range was worth the price of admission, much less arrowing the 350" bull I did. The way I see it now, I still owe them for that slammer opportunity. I also drew a unit 6 late rifle deer tag in the 90's with zero points. So from a personal standpoint I do not mind sending off my check each year. The way I see it, I could send them $200/year the rest of my life, not draw another tag, and still not come close to repaying the value of what that one hunt would have cost me on the open market.

Now for guys that have never drawn there, I can understand the situation. But at this point I do believe it's worth staying in the draw. Unfortunately for me, in 3 years when I am once again elligible for elk, I won't bother to apply due to the point squaring. The number of guys ahead of me will be astronomical!

04-Apr-14
Zim1, all great points except for your last. If you were to look at the points data sheets you will notice that most tags drawn fall in the middle areas (around 5 to 7 pts). It's when I get to around 10 pts I start to figure I'm screwed IMHO.

17 yrs ago you had to have all the money up front to put in- if they were to do that now it would be truly a rich mans sport. I don't always agree with NDOW policies but they do a pretty damn good job and if you draw you can count on a memorable hunt.

04-Apr-14
Ha well I have not studied the numbers lately since I'm ineligible, but no doubt there's just more guys volume-wise with 5-7 points than 10. But rest assured your odds are indeed better with 10!

04-Apr-14
For just archery deer, I have been wondering if it's worth it for me.I have to figure out if there are enough deer around for a fun hunt sometime in the future.

04-Apr-14
jims - I know exactly what you're thinking as I'm sure many do on this site. Every year as costs continue to increase I ask myself the same questions. Is all of this really worth it for tags that take such a longtime to draw? And once you're committed and into the game for 10+ years, you're at the will of the States when they make changes. I'm sure they've figured this out a long time ago and know they pretty much have you hooked at that point. But at what point does the APPLY APPLY APPLY mantra cross the line of the ends justifying the means...? Over the last 10 years I wish my income increased as much as many of the costs of western hunting have. With the way things seem to be trending... like point creep, losing tags to commissioner tags, higher and higher costs of applying and buying tags, etc. Every year I wonder how long I can stay in the game and if it even makes sense anymore. I like you, am not optimistic about the future of western hunting in the better units for common guys, I'm glad I'm not the only one!

04-Apr-14
On the NV draw subject I want to put my wife in for the first time. I remember I had to fax in my hunter education. Can I do this online by any chance? Anyone have a link? I have been looking but cannot find anything.

05-Apr-14
Here MuleyFever:

http://www.huntnevada.com/

Being a Canuck this is one place that I do put in for draws. Had the opprotunity in 2012 to hunt with a friend that drew a desert tag. He killed a mid 160's ram. Kinda got me interested considering it was the second year that he put in!!!

Someone has to get lucky.....might as well be me!!!!!

05-Apr-14
Ohh...here is this as well.

www.nvdreamtag.org

If ya got a spare $5 laying around...it could come in handy :-)

05-Apr-14
I don't see a link to get a copy of hunter safety to them. Do I just start her application and it will give me the option? Again, I am just looking for a way to get her into the application for the first time all online, no faxing in the card like I did 5 years ago.

05-Apr-14
MF---

Call 'em for the facts....

1-800-576-1020

==badbull, I have drawn 3 muley buck tags in like 8-9 years....

So yes you can do it for sure.

Good luck, Robb

05-Apr-14
Hey Muley,

I just called them and then got an e-mail address. Scanned a hard copy and sent it electronically. Had my number within a couple hours. I was pretty impressed with the service and how easy the process was on the website.

05-Apr-14
Hey Kevin---

"Other"...

So I gotta ask ya ~~

Where/What does your Handle represent??

Kinda unique for sure.

Thanks!

Good luck, Robb

05-Apr-14
Hey Robb,

I never noticed that before. I think when I joined up there was no choice available for the NWT. I live just outside Yellowknife up here.

I had the opprotunity to spend some time with a few of the guys off of this site a number of years back and found it a pretty good place hang out with a ton of really good information in the history.

I'm a daily visitor here but I don't post too often due to the fact that I'm primarily a rifle toter. I do have a recurve that I recieved as a tip from one of the sponsors here. Very cool unit....unfortunately I'm not up to par with it yet lol. I'll keep practicing!!

The name comes from an old boss of mine that called me "monkey". Mostly cuz he looked like a big ol' silverback gorilla lol. I truly do love being up on the tundra in the fall (well, just about anytime actually) but chasing caribou up there is the absolute bomb. I'm a member of several sites under the same name.

05-Apr-14
Just checked again. Every State and Province is available.....just none of the Territories in Canada.

Pat's slacken....I'm still an other.

Come to think of it....I put that on a few forms as I'm not a "visible minority" lol!!!!

06-Apr-14
Shouldn't be a long wait between drawings,according to many in the hunting community we need MORE hunters. Hmmmmm.

06-Apr-14
I'm so stupid I let my NV points lapse. Twice. Now talk about wasting money. I must have spent over $1,000 and I have 2 pts.

I am such a glutton for punishment I am still applying. I figure my lost money for the Lost bonus points went to a good cause.

06-Apr-14
Thanks Tundra Monkey...cool deal.

No way Brandon!!! BUMMER....

Good luck, Robb

06-Apr-14
Thankfully it is the only state I have completely bombed myself out of. After completing literally hundreds of hunt draw applications over the last 30 years for myself and then 4 kids as they became old enough my mistakes error rate is probably way less than 1% but those errors are very painful.

I made a minuscule error in CO for sheep twice. Both times they had all my money, my name, a valid hunt code selection, ontime and they did not even give me a PP so I am short two of max. One time I left the word "five hundred" after the thousand on the check but had $1,500.00 (or whatever it was) properly written in the numeral area on the check. The check cleared for the proper amount and they still didn't give me a point!

In AZ I have applied for the wrong hunt code twice, once each for two different sons for coues deer and got them October or November tags instead of the premium unit and date late December rifle tags they could have easily drawn before they went to college. Those mistakes are my most painful. And as we all know, AZ is a zero tolerance state when it comes to hunt applications. Poof. All points and money gone! A friend of mine was max points for deer and was working his way toward a strip tag for two decades in the max pool. He applied with a friend and that friend put the prior year's general hunting license number on the application so it was rejected. He had purchased the current year license but they kicked it out anyway for both guys. Now they are two points below max for 5 years (loss of loyalty) and one point short forever and never going to draw a strip tag. That is about the most chickenshit rejection I know about. Why does AZ even make you put down the hunting license number on the application? They can't match your hunting license number they sold you with your Sportsmans ID through the same amount of effort they expend to verify the hunting license number you give them? Actually it would be less effort to just look it up. Currently they have to input the number you put down on every app and then match them to ever ID to see if they match.

I also forgot to check the nonresident box in AZ for sheep once. Sent them the nonresident fee and they gladly cashed my check and kept my money but didn't put me in the drawing or give me a bonus point.

06-Apr-14
Ouch, painful to hear these little things hurt a guy big time for many years...or his lifetime.

I think I only screwed up once over the years...invalid hunt code for NV CBS.

I used to have paper apps sitting on my desk for weeks, so I could review them dozens of times before the went in the mail.

06-Apr-14
I know. Where else in life do you have to be perfect every year for 20 years or suffer such big consequences. I get that it would be unfair to people that do proper apps to let someone send garbage and draw or get a point. But when they have your name, ID, money, signature, Ontime that should be enough to at least get a preference point or bonus point.

• Sitka Gear