sitO 07-Apr-14
1Rudeman 07-Apr-14
sfiremedic 07-Apr-14
boschman158 07-Apr-14
Smtn10PT 10-Apr-14
Bill in MI 10-Apr-14
JMG 10-Apr-14
06-Apr-14
Does anyone have experience using a GoPro to film their hunts? I usually hunt by myself but I wanted to start filming some of the things I experience while hunting.

I noticed the film quality of go pro is pretty good but I wanted to know the best way to mount camera. Would this be head, chest or bow or even another way.

Mostly use this for archery hunts but I would like to use for varmint calling with a rifle as well.

Any advice or experiences would be appreciated. what else should I know or consider?

thanks

06-Apr-14
From what I understand they are great second angle cameras but not good for primary filming. To not be able to zoom in on animals that are outside of bowrange makes them useless at those distances. There are good little cameras with good zooms and some shoot 12 mp stills and you can capture 8 mp stills from video. Hunting solo almost makes it where you can't carry more than one camera. The go pro excells in stunts like motocross and other sporting events because the make the jumps look higher and more spectacular than they really are because everything looks farther than it really is. In hunting you want the animal to look close as it is or closer.

06-Apr-14
Ive used them since they came out and like Pat said they are good within 20 yards....but if you really want to get some good footage youll need a good camera. One of my best friends films and produces the Primal Dream videos and I have learned a lot from him and I know this is one of those things that you should get the best you can and youll be happy you did. The problem with cameras that take video is they are super hard to keep still and the audio is bad. I have one of the best cameras out there and the video quality is not great.

06-Apr-14

06-Apr-14
I have a go pro hero, I decided to head mount it because I'm always looking in the right spot... Bow mounted vibrates on the shot plus before and after the shot it's hard to keep you bow pointed at the animal... Most times I pull it out of my back pack and it's dead... The wifi button clicks on very easily and kills your battery

06-Apr-14
I have the GoPro Hero as well. It's great for closeups but anything past around 50 yards is mighty small. Also, if you have it in the waterproof case (without slits) their is virtually 0 sound. You can obviously add music, text, etc when you edit.

I would suggest taking your Gopro to the archery range and shoot with it on your head, bow, or where ever you decide to film. I've used it on my head and my bow handle often hides the target. Obviously there are unlimited ways to mount it so make adjustments for the particular way you film.

I've used mine a lot while trout and salmon fishing and have gotten incredible under water and other video. It's possible to use the remote and place your gopro on a short tripod next to your turkey decoys, etc. There are endless number of great ways to film so have fun and experiment!

07-Apr-14
If you use the gopro a head mount is best. And you need to set it a bit of an angle on your head or else your riser and limbs will block your shot. Like everyone else said before it's only effective at filming animals out to 20 yds and in. iPhone actually takes a pretty good video too. I bungee it to a tree or branch.

07-Apr-14
Gopro4 is apparently coming out in a few months. Might be worth waiting.

07-Apr-14
Even at 20 yards the animal will appear very small. Great for turkey hunting out of a blind if you can get them in to 5 or 10 yards but it's hard to get any good footage beyond that.

07-Apr-14
I purchased the WiFi remote, last deer season, it is a great add on.

07-Apr-14
With a WiFi connection you can control the GoPro Black from your phone with their app...it's a slick deal and replaces the remote. You can turn off/on, adjust all settings, and see a "preview" on the phone of the camera's FOV as well. I've been playing with mine on some Turkey hunts but haven't gotten anything great yet.

I agree that the hat mount, and setting it a bit off-center towards your "bow holding hand" is the way to go for spot & stalk. In the "narrow" setting, the FOV really isn't that bad compared to the first two models of this camera, I think you'll be surpised.

I would suggest the battery back up that attaches to the camera, it adds several hours of use.

07-Apr-14
Not sure if you guys have seen these. They are designed for hunting. Have not tried them, but thought I would mention. http://tactacam.com/. The camera mounts to your stabilizer or can also be gun mounted.

07-Apr-14
My buddy used one in 2012 and filmed his shot. Bull was maybe 25yds if I remember right. Looked like 60. Check it out for yourself. youtube. NM Gila archery elk hunt.

07-Apr-14
Check out wasp cam ... They look like a go pro but they come with a watch with a screen, you can see what it's seeing and control it from the wrist as well

10-Apr-14
Too bad there wasn't an arrow mounted camera available. I saw the footage Tim Wells had of his spear mounted cam and it was awesome.

10-Apr-14
I just used a sony version of the gopro on a skiing trip to the alps. It is very similar in HD capability with a narrower field. Might be a better option than the GP

10-Apr-14

JMG's Link
A friend of mine used a GoPro to "film" a shot and miss on a small bull in the Missouri River Breaks last year (2013).

Go to youtube and search: Bull Elk Walks Away.

You will be able to see the "quality". This was an evening hunt and this young bull pretty much ran right up to them, spooks and then stops. The buddy (shooter) shoots and misses at about 50 yards.

• Sitka Gear