BowCrossSkin 11-Apr-14
mainbrdr 12-Apr-14
glass eye 12-Apr-14
IdyllwildArcher 12-Apr-14
glass eye 12-Apr-14
IdyllwildArcher 12-Apr-14
weekender21 12-Apr-14
07-Apr-14
Just wanting some opinions of what people are thinking is the best bang for your buck in a back pack tent? I know I know.....Let the games begin.

07-Apr-14
You should also post how many people are sleeping in it, besides where/when you'll be going and how far you're packing.

07-Apr-14
At most two people, late Sept. bow hunt. Plan to use in Wyoming,Oregon and ? Have a Gortex sleeping bag cover and plan to use that mostly but want a reliable back up plan that isn't going to break the bank.

07-Apr-14
Some people have big banks. I like my copper spur ul3 but there are a million choices. I'll take comfort and useability and worry about weight later.

07-Apr-14
The Mountainsmith LT is a good buy typically around $100 or so. Not overly large if going with 2 for multiple nights but I picked it up for my buddy and I this year when it is just 1 or 2 nights. Weighs around 34 oz but you need to either cut poles or carry poles. Another good option is the Seek Outside LBO with 3 piece tarp attached. I think that set up is around $350 now.

07-Apr-14
The Kelty Gunnison 2.1 is a great tent for the money. It has lots of room, two doors and vestibules, and the top is vented. I think you can find them on sale in the $140 range. I think they weight around 5 lbs.

If you want to spend a little more, the MSR hubba hubba is a nice option or the Big Agnes Flycreek UL2 for a little less room/weight.

I have experience with all three of these and wouldn't hesitate to use any of them for 3 season mountain camping.

07-Apr-14
Golite SL 5. Tons of room and pretty light if you just take the fly.

07-Apr-14
If I were buying new I'd buy either Kifaru or Big Agnes

07-Apr-14
check out cabela's XPG light weight tents. I have one and found it to be good quality and value.

07-Apr-14
What is your budget? You said best tent for the money but did not list a budget?

There is a huge swing in quality if your budget is 400.00 vs. 125.00

07-Apr-14
Kelly are you packing in down in Vinton county? :)

07-Apr-14
How long do you intend to keep and use your tent??? My north face ve 24 is less than 10,lbs, bomb proof and is 18yrs old. cost on a new version is high but it would be the last you will ever need. never buy anything that is not a 4 season usage!! jd

07-Apr-14
If you are a tall guy take care in selecting a tent that is long enough. I am 6'4" and several years ago when I bought my backpack tent I was convinced a BA Seedhouse SL2 was the one I needed. It is 84" long and it sounded like plenty. The nice folks at REI actually let me set one up in the store before I bought it.

Because the walls are not actually straight up my toes and/or head touched the inner liner of the tent. This could cause condensation to leach onto your bag and/or head. More of a pain than dangerous for a Sept hunt but still something to consider.

I ended up getting an Sierra Designs Vapor Light XL 2 at 93" in length. I like it, although I wish I had a side entry instead of end entry.

There are a ton of options, so long story short....Get a tent that is long enough.

07-Apr-14
If you want about the best tent made take a look at Hillebergs. They are pretty much standard in Alaska and other places with incredibly rough weather. The Hilleberg Nallo 2 would be my choice that is somewhat light weight. If you can't afford the Nallo 2 my 2nd choice would be an Exped Aries Mesh. It is the same design as the Nallo but a lot less $. I've used and abused my Aries in Alaska and the Western US.

The reason I like the Nallo and Aries is they have verticle walls. Be aware that tents with sloping sidewalls are super cramped and you will have a lot less "useable" space. An added benefit to both tents is they are 4 season and you can use the fly by itself when the weather is decent. The stakes plus fly only weigh around 2 lbs and you'll have lots of space to get out of the weather!

Next in line to the Nallo/Aries would be a Scarp Tarptent. It is less $ and a super light 4 season tent with floor.

07-Apr-14
I have the MSR Hubba Hubba and after putting it through the paces I am very pleased.

07-Apr-14
For the money, I don't see how you beat the Kelty Salida 2... Sub 4# 2-man tent that packs small that can be had for under $150... Bought one for my brother-in-law and was very impressed...

That said, I run a Tarptent Rainbow and couldn't be happier...

07-Apr-14
I also have the kelty gunnison 2.1. Awsome tent

07-Apr-14
I have had pretty good luck with the Big Agnes Ultralight 2.

07-Apr-14
Lots of considerations, money is only one of them. Weight and strength are huge. Floorless? Free standing?

Lots of good choices out there, but for two guys I'd say minimum a 3 person for two guys and gear. A "2 man" for one guy, etc.

Two guys in a "2 man" tent.... all that rating means is two guys will juuuust fit.... best be very good friends, it's gonna be a close relationship...

07-Apr-14
If looking at a floorless shelter I would take a look at Kifaru, if looking for one with a floor Hilleberg would be at the top of my list. Both expensive, but in my opinion both are the best tent for the money.

07-Apr-14
Also, keep an eye out for close-outs at REI, Bass Pro, Cabelas, etc. I got a one man North Face several years ago, probably 60% off. Its actually been a great tent and has served me well. I bought a 6 man family tent for summer camping trips with the family, from REI on closeout. $499 tent was $379 on closeout. Again, its been a great tent so far.

07-Apr-14

Beendare's Link
I like the Henry Shires Tarptents- many models but the main reason is they work for taller guys. Not super cheap but great quality made in USA.............

07-Apr-14
Depends in the time of year and what you want to do with it. Lots of great advice here. For late September you won't need a 4-season unless one of those deals happens with a foot of wet cement snow.

At 6' 4", many of the 2-man tents are too small for me, too cramped. I settled on the Cabelas XPG UL 3 man. Weighs a hair under 6 lbs, lots of room for me and my gear, and doggy for summer scouting.

If I was still doing long-distance backpacking - multiple miles a day for multiple days - I'd go with a Kifaru Supertarp or something similar for summer and September, and a Tyvek floor. I do have a Paratarp for when the weather forecast is good.

We used to backpack all over wilderness areas in the West with a piece of visqueen and a parachute cord, for weeks, and it worked fine most of the time except during occasional torrential rain/hail downpours.

07-Apr-14
Check out the REI half dome or half dome plus for extra room. Its not a cold weather tent (too much mesh) but has been a backpacker magazine top choice several times. Great height, easy setup and on ebay about 130 to 150.

07-Apr-14

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
+1 on the Big Agnes UL2. It weighs 2 lbs but I like the extra room when hunting solo. I'll be honest and admit I have yet to refine my backcountry skill to the point where I would be confident with just a tarp.

07-Apr-14
Another vote for Tarptent. I have the Stratospire 1. Big enough for me and all my gear. Double walled with two vestibules. I could fit another sleeping pad in it but we would be cozy. If you are sharing a tent I would go with the Stratospire 2. 7 out of 8 days it rained last year in WY, sometimes very hard. Not one issue with moisture or condensation. Very light and reasonably priced. TODDY

07-Apr-14
I own a Big agnes fly creek ul2, my buddy owns a two man mtn hardware and neither have been used since I got my sl5. Its a palace for 2 with gear, tall enough to stand up in, weighs around 3lbs for the fly and can be bought for around $300. Plus you could add a stove jack and stove and have a great late season shelter.

07-Apr-14
I have a big Agnes ul 2 as well. Its a great tent for one guy but I am going with a kifaru mega tarp this year.

07-Apr-14
ALWAYS add at least one person rating to how many you think you will have. In other words, two people need at least a 3 person tent. As stated, a two person tent has room for two people laying down and NO gear. Personally I use a 4 person that weighs 8.5 lbs and has room for two guys and some gear. Cabelas XPG

07-Apr-14
Has anyone used on if the new cabelas xpg tents??? The new ul ones that weight 3 lbs?? They look a lot like the big agnes tents

07-Apr-14
I have been using my BA Copper Spur Ul2 for a while and it works fine here in Colorado but if I ever replace it I will look a Hilleberg for one and some of the others like Nemo. I like a floor under me. Bob.

08-Apr-14
Aron Snyder may posibly have some idea ;-)

Joking apart, Aron wrote a really helpful article in one of the early issues of Extreme Elk regarding gear on a budget...basically 'budget' doesn't need to mean 'below-par', including shelter

08-Apr-14
http://extremeelk.com/archive/volume-2-issue-1/head-to-head

08-Apr-14
Go Lite SL 5....I added a stove jack and it is perfect for 2 and as much gear as you can carry.

08-Apr-14
Go-lite SL5, with our without the nest. Works great for my brother and I. Heck if I go solo I would take it.

08-Apr-14
If you already have a gortex bag cover the best option would be a tarp tent or tipi style floorless tent.

They will be cheaper (relatively) and lighter and give way more room for the price. The other big advantage is you can add a stove for winter trips.

The last 8 yrs I've used an REI quart dome T2 I got on sale. When I solo in good weather I only pack the pole and fly. If I go with a friend (rarely) and rain is expected we split the whole tent. (Gets real cozy) But the two vestibules and 2 doors help.

09-Apr-14
Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2! Hands down well worth the money!

Josh

09-Apr-14
I own a Big agnes fly creek ul2, my buddy owns a two man mtn hardware and neither have been used since I got my sl5. Its a palace for 2 with gear, tall enough to stand up in, weighs around 3lbs for the fly and can be bought for around $300. Plus you could add a stove jack and stove and have a great late season shelter.

10-Apr-14

glass eye's embedded Photo
glass eye's embedded Photo
I bought a Garuda Atman in like new condition for $2 Don't count out buying a used tent.

10-Apr-14

deerslayer's embedded Photo
deerslayer's embedded Photo
I got the Big Agnes Fishhook UL 2. 11 days in elk camp with some brutal conditions: Heavy snow fall, rain, high winds.... Kept me dry and performed flawlessly! Plus the fly goes all the way ti the ground.

The zipperless feature is pretty nice. Has a 9 sqft vestibule for alot of gear. I'm 6'3" and had plenty of leg room as well. They're not the cheapest, but you can pick them up on amazon and ebay for better than you would at the store. For the weight and durability I think it is well worth the $.

11-Apr-14
Looks like a fun place to ride a bike..... =D

11-Apr-14
+1 TD

What Deerslayer didnt say was that the photo was taken in Florida last spring :-O

11-Apr-14
Kifaru

11-Apr-14
SL5 3 lbs, $300 and a Ti Goat stove 3 lbs total little over 6 lbs and it can rain or snow or whatever and your all good.

12-Apr-14
Hey Glass Eye, is that your pet hawk patiently waiting for you to get up and get after it?

12-Apr-14

glass eye's Link
Not a pet, but a pest. Not a hawk but a parrot. It's a Kea.

12-Apr-14
Seriously, what's the story with the bird?

12-Apr-14

glass eye's Link
It was in NZ and we just got dropped off on the mountain in a chopper. We immediately started setting up camp when this Kea wasted no time checking out our camp on a search & destroy mission.

12-Apr-14
Wow. They are beautiful, but seem like little bastards.

12-Apr-14
Big Agnes makes several great tents. If you're into backpacking in hurricane force winds then I recommend looking at the many options from Hilleberg. I would argue both are great tents for the money, just depends on your perspective.

• Sitka Gear