Sitka Gear
Wyoming Archery Elk Hunt
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
JES_Wisc 08-Apr-14
trumanbill 12-Apr-14
Topgun 30-06 12-Apr-14
08-Apr-14
I have been elk hunting in Colorado for about the last 15 years but now I want to try Wyoming. I am going to be going out there in September to scout some areas and then next year I plan to actually go elk hunting with a bow. There are a number of areas I am interested in but most of them are going to take a while for me to get enough preference points. I am going to apply for a preference point this summer in hopes that I can at least get a general tag next year. I am thinking about hunting the Medicine Bow to mostly because I have a friend that has a cabin out there and I was looking for some feedback on the units I was considering. I have been looking at Unit 15 and 21 in the Sierra Madre and then Unit 11 and 12 ( I realize 11 is not a general license unit) in the Snowy Mtn range. I am also considering 9. 10 and 110. Any input or advice for a first timer in Wyoming would be greatly appreciated.

12-Apr-14
If your plan is going to take a while to get enough preference points, than don't waste them on a general area or you will start over at 0 points. You will probably have to buy a point this summer if you plan to draw a general tag next year. This is based on last year's drawing results.

12-Apr-14
About the only way you're going to be able to build PPs and still hunt next year is to apply in the higher priced special draw for a hard to draw unit as a first choice with the general tag as a second choice and hope to draw it and keep buying PPs. That may not even work, as you never know from year to year what people are going to do. However, everyone that's been doing that the last few years has drawn the general as their second choice.

• Sitka Gear