Glunt@work 10-Apr-14
Bill in MI 10-Apr-14
Zbone 10-Apr-14
sticksender 10-Apr-14
CO Oak 10-Apr-14
Zbone 10-Apr-14
TJW 10-Apr-14
09-Apr-14
I hear it all the time, but have not seen or heard an explanation.

James

09-Apr-14
In Colorado, you get a preference point if you apply for a tag and don't receive it due to demand being higher than supply (or you can buy just a point). When they issue tags, applicants with the highest point count get first dibs. As more people have entered the process over the years, the number of points required to get a tag increases or "creeps" upward.

If a unit takes 10 points to guarantee a tag this year and you have 7, its not safe to assume that you will get the tag 3 years from now. By then it may take 11 or 12 points depending on how many folks are ahead of you in line with more points.

09-Apr-14
Thanks glunt. That makes perfect sense.

09-Apr-14
Good subject, thanx for bringing up...

Okay, what is "weighed" points?

09-Apr-14
Point creep is something you cannot catch up to ;)

09-Apr-14
In Colorado, we use "weighted" points for for sheep, moose and goat. You put in for 3 years and then every year after that you get a weighted point. After say 10 years, you would have 3 and 7. Once you have your 3 points, you are in the draw and have chance of getting a tag your 4th year. The more weighted points you have the better your odds are of drawing, but there is no guarantee you will ever draw. You may be 20 years into it and your buddy gets the same tag you want after only 4 years.

Most of these tags very are oversubscribed but in a case where there aren't enough 3pt+ applicants to use all the tags, you could draw with less points.

The formula on how the weighted points increase your chances is complicated. Its not as simple as your name going in the hat more times.

09-Apr-14
"Point creep is something you cannot catch up to"

Yes, sort of like trying to improve your time in the 100 yard dash as you get older.

09-Apr-14
My wife calls me a "weighted point creep". I'll lose the weight this summer, but I'm not losing my points!

09-Apr-14
Thanx Glunt, now I get it....

Years ago, (at least back in 1999) Colorado residents had decent change in one GMU for drawing a bighorn ewe tag with 0 or 1 points, so I suspect that is no longer the case. Ya now need at lease 4 points to draw sheep, moose and goat, regardless???

09-Apr-14
It sucks.

09-Apr-14
It's like that hot cheerleader in high school who always flirted with you.... but would never go out with you....

Continuing to chase after her doesn't necessarily get you any closer to going out.... only good thing with points is you can still chase her and the state doesn't threaten to kill you like her father did... er, might have done...

09-Apr-14
There are ewe tags that can be had with less than 4 points.

09-Apr-14
Weighted points, simplified and in a nutshell: they divide your random number by the number of weighted points + 1. For instance, if I have 0 weighted points (plus 3 preference points) they divide my "initial" random number by 1, yielding the same number for my "final" random number. However, if I have 11 weighted points my initial random number is divided by 12. You can see the power of weighted points.

09-Apr-14
I still don't get it... Does CO actually call these weighed points?

So any point over 3 is considered "weighed"?

Then what are the first 3 preference points called?

09-Apr-14
Is anyone confused about Colos pref pt system?

There is "point creep" (current Colo draw system) and "point leap" (point banking system being considered in Colo)!

09-Apr-14
To me there are two different kinds of point creep.

There is the typical point creep described above for the "normal" species and/or locations. Tags for these units and/or species may or may not require an additional point each year to draw, but almost certainly never increase the amount of points required to draw beyond 1 point per year.

Then there is the point creep for the premium tag species and/or locations. For these units there typically is always a "creep" of one point per year because the demand far outweighs the supply. For these species and/or units most people expect that number of points required to draw will increase by 1 per year. In some cases it requires more than an additional 1 point per year to draw. In my opinion, only then would we consider there to be creep for that species and/or unit. This happens for a variety of reasons, one of which being, that people will accumulate points and never apply for the tag; then when they have enough to draw they appear out of the woodwork and apply. Up until that point they usually don't show up in the draw statistics for most states that I am aware of.

09-Apr-14
Zbone, the first three are preference points. Essentially, you need to have three to even get into the pool. Then you're at the mercy of the random number generator.

If your random application number (after being reversed) is really high, dividing by 12 might not get you drawn, while a guy with a low random number might draw a tag with only 2 weighted pionts as divisor. Confused yet?

TD, taking your analogy a step further, you may eventually catch up with her at the class reunion, when she's old and fat and thrice-divorced, but by then you're old too and your willie may not work so good anyway. Sort of like waiting 30 years to draw a sheep tag after your knees are shot.....

09-Apr-14
That gets my vote for Analogy of the Year! :)

09-Apr-14
What I'm not clear about is "banking points"... does it mean if I have 10 points, I can use 7 this year and have 3 leftover?

Thanks. Mike

09-Apr-14
If anyone missed it in Colorado you don't get weighted points for deer and elk, only sheep, moose and goat as Glunt has stated.

10-Apr-14
Jaquomo - "Confused" yeah, big time!!!...8^)

Glunt just said, some ewe tags can be drawn without weighed points.... I'm really frick'n confused...8^)

10-Apr-14
Yes, sort of like trying to improve your time in the 100 yard dash as you get older.

It ain't happenin :) I gotta have these knees for the pack out ;) and you're right about that!

10-Apr-14
Most folks are talking rams when they discuss sheep, so its common to ignore ewe tags when discussing points and odds.

If there is a sheep, goat or moose tag that doesn't have high demand, its possible it could be drawn before getting to the 3 point threshold. Any tag could be drawn without weighted points since guys on their 4th year of applying are in the running but haven't received a weighted point yet.

The list of ram, moose and goat tags that can be drawn without getting over that 3 point threshold is on the CPW web site right next to the sasquatch licensing section.

10-Apr-14
Point Creep = Jerk who has more points than you.

10-Apr-14
Okay Glunt, it's starting to make sense... (I think....8^))

Been years since applying Colorado moose, sheep, goat, and reading the regs, but basically nothing has changed without a chance of drawing moose bull, ram sheep, nor goat tag with less than 3 points, and somebody got the bright idea (not the CDOW) of calling points after 3 "weighed" even though it is not an official term???

Do I have this right?

10-Apr-14
zbone, Weighted Points is indeed an official term. It's spelled out in full detail on page 6 of the sheep & goat brochure.

Everyone who applies regardless of preference point status or weighted point status is eligible to draw any sheep or goat or moose tag. But the applicants with 3 pp's receive preference. If there are enough such applicants, they get all the tags. And that is almost always the case. There have been (extremely rare) occasions when no applicant to a particular hunt code had 3 or more points entering the draw. This has happened for both Goat and Ram. In those cases applicants with less than 3 pp's drew ram or goat tags. Goat tags have also been drawn by 2nd choice. I believe it is now a thing of the past, as the internet has brought wide-spread awareness to this topic. Nothing much slips through the cracks these days.

10-Apr-14

CO Oak's Link
See the link for an explanation of how the CO weighted sheep, goat and moose draws work.

10-Apr-14
sticksender - Thanx for the clarification...

CO Oak - Thanx for the link...

10-Apr-14
garth carter

• Sitka Gear