Gutpile 14-Apr-14
Bigdan 14-Apr-14
Bowhunner 14-Apr-14
spotsorbetter 14-Apr-14
ABQBW 15-Apr-14
Gutpile 15-Apr-14
Willieboat 15-Apr-14
11-Apr-14
Yahoo!!! After having 15 preference points and many years of waiting I finally drew a Unit 9 Archery Bull Elk tag in September. My wife shot a 380" bull in 2005 with her Mathews Switchback I called hers into about 20 yards hopefully I might have the same kind of luck.

11-Apr-14
Congrats!! That is a long wait... hope it pays off big time for you.

Enjoy and post your story here... PLEASE.

11-Apr-14
Your in for a good time! Congrats. I also shot a bull,with a Mathews on 9 back in 05. Your wifes bull is bigger:)

11-Apr-14
Congrats on a great tag! I have 2 friends who drew so, I at least get to go. Just hopin we get some of that wet stuff to fall out of the sky.

11-Apr-14
Congrats! You obviously have experience in the unit which makes the excitement of the up coming hunt even higher. Have fun.

11-Apr-14
How could that be I have two Nonresident buddys with 16 points that did not draw!

11-Apr-14
Bigdan, did you really expect a gov't agency to be able to count?

11-Apr-14
I know Big Dan I also have two buddies with 16 points, so I don't know how I drew either. But there is no way that I was going to tell the Game & Fish it is not fair... lol With all due respect I hope they draw next year. Keep me in your memory bank and give me a call if they and I will help you guys out with what I know. My email address is [email protected]

5-point if you see my truck flag me down I have Idaho license plate that reads RMEF it is a white Ford crew cab pick up and we will be camped just south of the airport.

I hope we can get something filmed for our TV Show Hunting Adventures TV on the Sportsman Channel.

Thanks you guys for wishing me luck!!!

Dieter Kaboth Hunting Adventures TV

11-Apr-14
Maybe you missed your loyalty point or something and had more points than you thought you had?

11-Apr-14
Hey Big dan I didn't realize this was the famous Danny Moore!!! Hey buddy hope you are doing good. I would love for our buddy Ponciono to come call for me but he has been busy hunting with his boys in Colorado the last couple of years.

I am going to fly down this summer and Randy Ulmer offered to help me out.

Danny hope your health is good and I am sorry about the loss of your son. Unfortunately we now have that in common too. I lost mine 5 years ago at the age of 27 due to diabetes.

Take care Danny, I miss your stories, you had Windy Linde laughing so hard one time we could not breath.

11-Apr-14
No it showed 15 points at the end of 2013- I just got lucky somehow. Maybe I did not read it right but that's what I thought I read. In any regard I am jumping up and down making sounds like a little girl at recess... lol

11-Apr-14
I talked to someone else who won a tag that I expected to not see any tags drop into the 1-2 round, win a tag that should have taken many more points...

I thought the 50% cut to the bonus round wasn't going in this year. Now I'm starting to wonder if they put it in...

11-Apr-14
Definitely share your story and experience here... Congratulations!

11-Apr-14
Congrats and have a great hunt!

11-Apr-14
Wow..... Good luck.

Going to be a great hunt.

12-Apr-14
That will prompt a call to AZ game and fish. The only way you could draw as a NR with 15 points is for the NR tags to have made it passed the bonus draw. I had 16 NR points going into the draw and there is no way a NR with 15 points should have drawn before me unless the tags went beyond the bonus pass. I wish you the best but if you are right something wrong happened in this draw.

12-Apr-14
Dieter good luck on that hunt you had better check the dates on that hunt. What tag number did you draw?

12-Apr-14

Gutpile's embedded Photo
Gutpile's embedded Photo
Hi 400 I have at least a half dozen friends also putting in but just taking the loyalty points. One guy had 19 points and when I asked him and a couple of more friends why the wait? The number one reason was they did not want to draw the tag in a drought year. The way things are going with the weather here out west it might be a long wait. But I am sure you know with the lack of moisture it could affect a 400" bull in normal conditions a good 20" or more. I took a 335 bull in NM about three years ago huge on the bottom with really good mass but he just petered out at the 5th & 6th point. I attached a pic. But like I said I know a bunch of guys sitting on points because they are waiting for a wetter year. If you draw let me know and I will hopefully help you out with info next season. Good luck!

12-Apr-14
Bigdan's right. Better make sure you didn't accidentally put in for a late hunt or cow tag.

I'm still skeptical and guessing that when you saw 15, you were looking at your BPs and didn't add in your loyalty point and actually drew with 16 which is more plausible than an early archery unit 9 tag falling to the 1-2 round and just so happening to go to a person with 15 pts.

12-Apr-14
Hi Dan I did. I double and triple looked at it Unit 9 archery bull elk Sept. 9/12 thru 9/25 I have the draw results right in my hand that I printed off from AS G&F website. I think what may have happened was my five year loyalty point must have kicked in. I missed it 5 years ago when I put in my wrong social security number. In fact I am sure that is what happened which brought me into the draw with 16 points. I am really really sorry if I ruffled some feathers guys. Please forgive me.

On another note about three hours ago saw 6 elk just outside of town within a couple of hundred yards from houses here in Pierce Idaho. It is a rare thing because this place was full of elk by the thousands, after the wolves took hold I have not even seen an elk or tracks up in certain parts for going on 9 or 10 years now. Anyway hope your elk are coming back too over near Kalispell.

Take care Danny

12-Apr-14
Gutpile,

I put in for the same hunt with 16 NR points. According to everything I thought I knew about the Arizona Draw, it is impossible for you to have gotten that tag before me. I now have 17 points because I didn't draw. Like I said, either the tags made it passed the bonus pass, you had more than 15 points or something major went wrong. Either way a quick call to game and fish next week should help me with a few answers. Best of luck to you on your hunt.

12-Apr-14
Hi 400 guess I was so excited to post. I was correct I looked in December and the website showed I had 15 points but I had completely forgot my 5 year loyalty point was going to kick in this year. So it gave me 16 points. Six years ago I had applied and wrote down my social security number wrong and I got kicked out of the draw that year and lost my place for the five year loyalty point.

I am so sorry for the mistake in not catching that and making anyone ticked off... I was not thinking about that when I posted and like I said just got excited that I drew. Also like I said when you draw next year give me a call and I will help you out if you want.

Thanks Dieter Kaboth [email protected]

12-Apr-14
No worries. I am not ticked just confused. I thought this was my year but I guess it was not in the cards. I only live about 3 1/2 hours from unit 9...I will be in the unit to learn this year. Again, I wish you the best of luck.

12-Apr-14
It's actually good news for people hoping for unit 9 that someone drew with 16.

Mr Kaboth, best of luck on your hunt! You now get to sit on that tag for 5 months and the anticipation that goes with it. That's a good thing.

12-Apr-14
Thanks guys!!! 400 if you see my white ford truck with RMEF Idaho plates wave me down. I am ordering my new Mathews bow on Monday.

12-Apr-14
Dieter. I will be south of you in unit 8. I have not heard anything from Jim . I sent Windy a photo of a pile of snakes coming out of a hole in Nevada. You know he hates snakes.

12-Apr-14
Good for you!

I have been catching your TV show in the early mornings before I leave for the job.

I really enjoy your show, your daughter was a real trooper on that caribou hunt.

Good luck, Robb

12-Apr-14
Here's another NR that drew with 16 points, it will be interesting to see the breakdown of point holders in the bonus pass when it's published.

12-Apr-14
Wheels what is your tag number? In unit 8 ours were 00001 & 00002

12-Apr-14
Congrats and post pictures and story!

12-Apr-14
I was 00009.

12-Apr-14
wheels one of the last tags in nr pool. w 16 points

12-Apr-14
Your wife got a tag because she is HOT, you, not so much! Had 16 and didn't get it this year. Call me

12-Apr-14
Will do Frank, just showed Loren your post she is laughing her but off. Are you going to be at the Fred Hall Show or up our way in the Pacific NW any time soon? If so let me know we would like to meet up with you guys, Loren has never met your wife yet. Caught some of your Africa pics on Facebook, looks like you guys were having the time of your lives.

12-Apr-14
No, head to Kodiak in 10 days, have 3 hunters there and then to the Alaska Peninsula for 4 hunts, good spring season this year. Congrats on the tag. I got a Wyoming tag, killed a great bull there 2 years ago so going back to the same spot. Should draw MT and then applied for the usual: NM, NV, UT, OR and pp in CO. Have to take advantage of the even years when I can hunt elk, as the Alaska Peninsula is open on fall of odd years for Browns and I am pegged the whole season. Take care

12-Apr-14
Dieter, it was great to get a chance to talk with you again when you were back home in Wisconsin last summer. I really appreciated how excited you were for me when I told you that I had drawn a 3c tag. Your advise and encouragement helped with my excitement level (Not that I needed any)and motivation to prepare. I am now very excited for you and look forward to following your success.

Beast of luck Mark B

13-Apr-14
Dieter and Dan

When you guys get your giant bulls on about the third day of your hunts, I will allow you to come down to Unit 1 and call Bulls in for me. It's the least I could do so a pair of fine gentlemen like you can extend your AZ rut elk experiences.

Now wouldn't that be the A-Team? (You guys - not me). I'm not so sure it would be considered fair chase though with both of you guys in action!!! :).

Dieter- I brought my kids to one of your Elk seminars at Valles Caldera in about 2004. I shoulda paid closer attention. Seriously it was really great....

Good luck on your hunts.

14-Apr-14
1 point = 1 year correct? Fifteen or sixteen years is a looooong time

The very best of luck Dieter and good hunting

14-Apr-14
Hi Barty1970, I took an Arizona advance Hunter education class, when passed it gives you one lifetime preference point. Then for each consecutive 5 years you get one extra preference every 5 years. So at the end of the tenth year (if you put in that long) you would have 13 preference points. 1 for the lifetime point and 2 for the loyalty points along with the 10 years of applying.

Regardless I put in for a hard unit to draw but it is still a looong time like you said.

14-Apr-14
The information provided above by Gutpile regarding Loyalty Points is NOT correct. You can accumulate a maximum of 1 Loyalty Point. You keep it if you keep applying. You lose it if you do not successfully apply. You can get another bonus point for completing hunter's education. The maximum number of "extra" points a hunter can earn, besides the ones for not getting drawn is two, one loyalty and one hunter ed. You never lose your hunter education point regardless of you whether you apply or not.

14-Apr-14
Hey, Gutpile, I can't find anywhere on the AZ site that one can accrue an additional "loyalty point" every 5 years. This was my 10th year applying and my updated points show 11. So, when is the additional loyalty point awarded?

14-Apr-14
Sorry heat I stand corrected then I thought you got an extra point for each consecutive 5 years.

Shortsighted: if you call AS Game & Fish they will explain it. I just called and Heat is correct.

14-Apr-14
No you can only get the loyalty on time or I would have about 6 extra points.

14-Apr-14

Bowhunner's embedded Photo
Bowhunner's embedded Photo
Here is my unit 9 bull from 4 years ago. Lots of rain made it a spot and stalk hunt that year. You will most likely be hunting over water though.

You are going to have a blast. Don't get involved in fighting with people over a waterhole. There are plenty of waterholes find a dozen of them and sit on the one that nobody is on. Big bulls all over. Disney for a bow hunter I say.

14-Apr-14
There's an idea. Let's lobby AZ G&F to institute an additional loyalty point for each 5 years. It' the only way I'll ever draw a decent unit.

15-Apr-14
An extra loyalty point isn't going to do you much good. When you get it everyone else that you are competing against in the bonus round is going to have it too. They could give everyone 500 extra points and you would all still have the same number of points. I guess you would get a leg up on the small percentage of applicants that have 10 or more that didn't apply once and lost their loyalty but that won't be enough to change your draw chances.

15-Apr-14
Bowhunter thank you for the advise. Nice bull!!!

15-Apr-14
Gutpile,your wife bull will not be topped !!

Don't go trying to make a TV show outa this hunt or you for shire will end up killing a dink !!! :)

Oh ya, i would have chose another unit !!!

Have fun my friend

• Sitka Gear