luckychucky 18-Apr-14
Lone Bugle 22-Apr-14
drycreek 23-Apr-14
Ohvaco 23-Apr-14
Zbone 24-Apr-14
Lionking1 25-Apr-14
Bill in MI 25-Apr-14
13-Apr-14
I've lived thru some freaky storms and near lightning strikes while high up, with the Elk. I feel .1% safer in my trail tent when storms blow thru at night, but wonder if thats a false sense of security.

Anyone ever have their tent stroke while inside? Whats the best setup spot? Down low near the creek bottom, in a large outcrop of boulders, within a large stand of trees (Aspens or Evergreens)? Never had much luck finding a cave to camp in...lol.

Thanks for sharing

13-Apr-14

climb.on's embedded Photo
climb.on's embedded Photo
Depending on the location, (and no better source of shelter) I would likely stay inside the tent with hopes of the metal poles acting as the path to ground for the strike.

There are so many variables with the question, there isn't going to be one right answer. It just depends on the terrain, temperatures, water, climate, altitude, storm tendencies and many other variables are. As in this attached image, the ravine (#3) is perhaps the safest option if you can't get indoors, but I doubt I would set up camp there. Caves aren't necessarily great options either. There are a number of accounts of people being struck inside caves.

Scariest storm I ever faced blew in as I topped the summit of Devil's Tower. We couldn't see it, as the storm was coming from the other side of the Tower. Once on top, we could see the front coming for miles away once we got to the top and had a clear view of lightning striking the ground every few seconds. There is a shallow cave/overhang feature about 1/3 of the way down and there are clear signs of strikes inside that cave (as there are all over the whole tower). We finished our last rappel (of 5) just as the rain hit and all hell broke loose.

13-Apr-14
Seven or eight years ago a good friend of mine and several of his brothers were hunting elk in Wyoming. They spend the afternoon in a wall tent, as it was storming and raining pretty hard. When hunting time came all but two left to go hunt. One of his brothers, and as I recall, his nephew stayed in the tent when the other left. An hour or so later, lightening hit the tent and killed his older brother, and knocked down his nephew, but the youngster escaped serious harm.

Some years ago my buddy Shane and I were hunting elk in Colorado and watched for several mornings in a row, groups of elk pass by on trail. I told him lets go over there and set up a stand. So that afternoon we hiked up there with a stand and looked over several trees. I really wanted to put the stand in a big pine, but Shane thought it would be better up the hill a bit in another tree. We placed the stand and headed back to camp. The next after noon a big thunderstorm took place, so we didn't sit that afternoon, but the next day I went up to sit the stand, and the big pine, where I wanted to put the stand, but blown to bits by lightening.

One is truly at its mercy.

Be careful out there, and have a great bow hunt. BB

13-Apr-14
Last year I camped at 11500-12000 ft during several nights of those relentless storms that blew through Colorado mid-Sept. When an electrical storm rips through your alpine camp at 2 am, there's nothing whatsoever you can do about it. You feel totally helpless and can only pray it goes around you and not right over you. You can lay there in the tent and try to control panic by counting off seconds between the flash and the boom, begging they stay far distant! The alternative is camp at the bottom and hike 3000 vertical feet in the dark each morning. I don't know which is worse, but I tend to camp high and take my chances.

13-Apr-14

IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
This past sept in WY, while packing out my elk, it started raining, hailing, and thundering. I had a bolt strike the ground about 40 yards to my right with a full pack of meat on my back. I hit the deck (mud). It sounded like across between a win mag and an explosion, very loud. Scared the crap out of me.

I think lightning's one of those random thing's that you only have so much control over.

14-Apr-14
Whilst not in the mountains, nor elk hunting, I was out hunting with our beagles in January of this year...horizontal rain and lightning all around...orange balls of light made for a scary experience. All Hounds and all of us folk were ok but very hairy whilst we were out in it

14-Apr-14
Been in a few good ones but the worst was in 2011. Got stuck at tree line in Co. near the edge of canyon. Strikes above, below and all around me. Found myself lying under a medium height tree for where I was wondering if this was a small taste of what it is like to get shelled by artillery!

It lasted a couple hours which is pretty rare for that area. Not fun!

You only have so many options when you get caught like that.

14-Apr-14
I actually got zinged pretty bad years ago. I used to climb obsessively and seeing how I spent most of my recreation time in exposed places up high during the summer months in CO,UT,and WY I had a lot of close calls. I was sitting at the base of a cliff when lightning struck the top. The current traveled down a crack system which I was sitting at the bottom of. It could have been a lot worse but it felt just like touching a really high voltage electric fence. My buddy saw it happen and said he's never seen a human run so fast as after I got "hit".

Lightning is a real threat if you are up high. Don't just take your chances. I have had several acquaintainces who have been killed by lightning and, off the top of my head can think of five guys who have been struck directly. Three have been struck more than once. Ironically one of those guys is an electrician.

If you get stuck up high in a T-storm, put down your bow, and crouch on your pack with your feet and knees together. Touch your elbows to your knees and keep your hands close to the ground. If you are with a friend, stay at least 15 yards apart. If someone gets struck and knocked unconscious begin CPR ASAP. Lightning kills by cardiac arrest and victims that receive CPR immediately are often times resuscitated.

14-Apr-14
Nothing like the smell of ozone and your aluminum arrows humming to humble a guy.

14-Apr-14
Also, don't think you are safe just because the storm is yet distant. At the first sign of a T-storm, you better start thinking about safety. Precursory strikes are very common in late summer and fall. Many years ago, my brother was struck by lightning walking across a parking lot in Denver about 10 miles east of the foothills where the clouds were building. Not a cloud in the sky above him....food for thought about the randomness and unpredictability of the weather in the high plains/mountains.

14-Apr-14
I'd rather go empty handed into a knife fight than to try to outrun another lightning storm high in the mountains. Never been so terrified.

14-Apr-14
You can be electrocuted through solid rock at a very large distance.....if you are on a mountain get as much insulation between you and the bare rock face as possible..NEVER, NEVER, NEVER go in a cave.

14-Apr-14

elkmtngear's Link
Thanks for the diagram, climb.on ...very good info.

I hate grabbing the sides of my thermarest like I'm on Mr. Toads wild ride!

It's beautiful from a distance though...

Best of Luck, Jeff (Bowsite Sponsor)

14-Apr-14
While you need to be aware of storms in the back country, or anywhere outside for that matter, and know your least risk options under the circumstances, lightning is far from the greatest risk you face. Over the years, I've had several strikes close enough to actually see the strike. One out of a clear blue sky. Over that same time frame, I've seen far more trees come down nearby from wind, snow load, or just because.

I choose my camps with an eye toward safety, comfort and convenience, and don't worry about it after that. There's only so much you can do, and once that's done, enjoy the show!

14-Apr-14
I had never really been scared of lightning until last year. I went on an afternoon hunt and was about a mile up this canyon when a thunderstorm blew in. I spent about an hour crouched in a patch of Christmas trees while lightning struck all around me. I had never been so scared in all my life.

The best thing you can do is get inside a vehicle, which acts as a Faraday cage. If you have to stay out in it, don't be out in the open, but not near tall trees either. You should crouch on a foam pad or other insulator of some type while staying low on the balls of your feet.

As far as camping goes, I would avoid setting camp up on ridges and not near any really tall trees. You don't want to be near the tallest thing around when a lightning storm comes. Your foam pad should insulate you from the ground and from lightning.

14-Apr-14
Could someone explain this from climb.on's graphic?

>>On or near high terrain like peaks and ridges (often reversed in the Appalachians)<<

14-Apr-14
I once noticed little purplish arcs shooting off a buddies graphite fly rod once....It was time to go!!

14-Apr-14
I've had a lot of "close calls" fishing here in MN, including plenty of times when the rod tips would snap and buzz and one especially strange time when the fishing line refused to fall to the water, and instead floated up toward the sky like it was made from helium.

But, never have I been so scared as I was last year on our Wyoming elk hunt. I never imagined actually being inside of a thunderstorm but wow, it was something else. I couple of the strikes I actually lost my wind right before the flash. It was almost like being punched in the gut. I just laid there expecting the tent to be turned into an Easy Bake oven any second. But, the storm finally passed. The tent must have leaked, though, because my sleeping pad was kind of wet. Cheap Cabelas tents.... ha ha.

14-Apr-14
Once upon a time in the 70's,

I made a solo backpacking trip in New Hampshire's White Mountains. Day one I hiked up Mt. Washington and continued to Mt. Adams for the night. Slept in a metal culvert style shelter above treeline. Awoke to a frightening thunderstorm with 70 MPH winds and lighting crashing all around my camp. Remembered a previous a survival story and kneeled on my foam pad until it ended. The shelter had lighting rods on the corners and I could not determine if that made it more or less safe to be in it! On near by Mt. Lafayette a hiker was less fortunate. Not the same storm or the same season, but I think the guy didn't survive. Above treeline it can be very dangerous!

LaGriz

14-Apr-14
" When an electrical storm rips through your alpine camp at 2 am, there's nothing whatsoever you can do about it."

That about sums it up....

14-Apr-14
Insightful. Thanks.

14-Apr-14
No wiser I've had that floating fishing line phenomenon a few times too. I dropped those graphite rods in a hurry. I saw a picture once of what lightning does to them. A couple guys mentioned using foam sleeping pads for insulation. I'm not a rocket scientist but I can't imagine that doing much good in the event of an actual lightning strike.

14-Apr-14
I've had my fair share of lightning hunting out west and I don't much care for it. Haven't been struck but had some close class,

I guess if it gets me my wife will be rich from all the insurance money.

Andy'J I bet that day you broke the 100 meter dash record ha ha!

14-Apr-14
In 2000 on the eve of opening day of bow season in WY south of Jackson I was outside cooking dinner for myself and two hunting companions. It was raining a little but there had been no lighting at all. They were in our tent and I 20 yards away just finishing something in the skillet on our propane stove. When KABAMB!!! Lighting hits a large tree 75 paces from us. My buddies think I have blown up the propane bottle. They come out of the tent and see that I am still alive and see the tree and its on fire. We throw some water on the flames and look around to see the 2 1/2- 5 feet "toothpicks" from the exploded tree all over and many stuck in the ground. A couple of days later I killed a nice bull and to this day have a "toothpick" mounted below the shoulder mount of that bull. We still hunt there every fall and have had numerous close calls with lighting. But hey you got to die of something and I'd rather have it from lighting while elk hunting than being hit by a bus. :) We call the drainage we camp in lighting alley!

15-Apr-14
Lost Arra,

I was thinking the same thing. I guess thing are a little backwards up in the Appalachian country! Even the weather doesn't know up from down.

15-Apr-14

Beendare's embedded Photo
Lightning is just something you have to deal with on these early archery or summer backpack trips. About the only thing I can add is to look around; if you pay attention these high country spots will tell you where the danger zone is.

I try to do an early deer hunt every year in a spot like the photo with the packs. Hmmmm why are those trees on their sides you ask? Why are all of the large trees laying on the ground or splintered in half? grin

I like to camp on the inside elbow of those mtns which is marked as a 3 in the upper part of that excellent diagram and is the strip of green trees below the peak in my pack photo

15-Apr-14

I guess we can only attach one pic, , wrong pic, first was a lightning struck tree .

15-Apr-14

climb.on's Link
I had to do a little more digging to find out about the Appalachian reversal effect. Apparently is has to do with humidity. It's obviously very dry in the mountains out west and more humid in appalachia "a more maritime climate" according to this author's writing who I linked here. It's the same author who generated the graphic I posted earlier. This reading has a lot more detail on the topic of how lightning strikes, data, and even evidence of a dozen elk killed by a lightning strike (see page 6).

16-Apr-14
Using a pad, is like using your pack; they insulate you from the elec. that can pan out from a strike.

I meet a guy 7 years back who was struck while mountaineering; he now has one kidney and part of a liver, along with some mobility issues. Dying from a strike may be easier than surviving.

16-Apr-14
No insight, not much you can do but pray... Most terrifing and helpless have ever been or felt was high in the Colorado mountains without being close to a shelter, and those high mountain September electrical storms come quick without much warning.. I hate it, my biggest fear while hunting up there... One year a father and son were struck and killed a mountain over from me. I will never forget that storm...

16-Apr-14

Buzz's embedded Photo
Buzz's embedded Photo

16-Apr-14

Buzz's embedded Photo
Buzz's embedded Photo

16-Apr-14
Wanted to add some insight I'd read... Don't know how true or beneficial this is, but it said to get in a lowest area you can and squat in the fetal position (not to lay or sprawl on the ground) keep the least amount of contact to the ground, but stay low, and in this squatting fetal position, if struck, could possibly come out the elbows away from your organs and a possibility to survive... I know, not very encouraging...

16-Apr-14
High school classmate was killed in CO in a lightning storm in the high country while camping. Story is that he was actually struck twice, surviving the first obviously. Because of this I am always leery, and try and find cover and head lower quickly, and never by tall trees.

16-Apr-14
Buzz - Those photos remind me very much of what I went through...

SoDakSooner - You remember what year?

16-Apr-14
Buzz, those pictures are pretty much what we watched come right at us as we were trying to get the hell off the top of Devils Tower. Talk about lightning rod...

16-Apr-14
Been near the top of a mountain when the rocks started buzzing and the hair on my arm stood straight up. No rain or lightning yet, but I RAN off that hill.

Been in a tent in a lightning storm when a bolt splintered a tree 100 yards away. Shit a big rectangular one over that.

Climbed Half Dome in the am and was coming down the steel cables when the sky was getting dark and stormy and there were dozens of people heading up. Most of the time there aren't victims so much as willing volunteers.

Lightning storms pretty typically occur in the afternoon, so it's best to be off the mountain if there's any chance of inclement weather. If you're in a valley area and away from tall trees (but not the tallest object in the vicinity) and still get nailed, it was your time.

Maybe someone will invent a packable metallic kevlar lightning wire you can string from a tall tree near camp to attract bolts (away from you).

16-Apr-14
Funny you guys mention the fishing rod thing...I got "popped" while out walleye fishing the other night...could hear it arching from my pole to my hand.

16-Apr-14
Those pictures are amazing!

16-Apr-14
I have read that strikes actually happen more on benches that at the peak. Maybe the pics Buzz posted are kind proof of that. I have also read that no pad is going to insulate you from a lightning bolt. I would hate to find out.

16-Apr-14
Scary stuff , not direct strikes but been knocked down twice by lightning in my lifetime. Once on the farm in the 70s, the irrigation pumps used to shut off in a lightning storm and we had to go around and turn them back on. 440volt motors that used a manual starter circuit, you pushed a large lever on the electrical box and held it for several seconds until the motor sounded like it was near full speed then quickly pulled and reversed the lever so it would lock into place and the motor would stay on.

Thought the storm pretty much passed, went to start the pump, pushed the lever, motor was starting up and them WHAM I was on my back, the cover was blown off the box and the electric pole it was mounted to was smoking with creosote tar liquified and running down the pole. My head was ringing but I was back in the truck and out of there in seconds. My partner in the truck was just shaking... a minute or so down the road he asked me if I was alright....

Next one was in ID elk hunting, it was popping around pretty good and I was trying to get back to camp after dark, I knew to stay as low as I could. Was walking the bottom of a shallow gulch and the world went bright white and the explosion in my ears was deafening, louder than any gun I've heard. I just found myself on my face on the ground. It must have hit only a few yards behind me, I don't remember getting knocked down, just that I suddenly found myself face in the mud. My head was ringing and I couldn't see, like a flashbulb went off in your eyes. Laid there a few minutes till my head cleared and then hightailed it back to camp.

I hate lightning. Gets my attention every time. Just because it's a ways away and not hitting right on top of you doesn't mean the next one won't.

17-Apr-14
One of the best bow hunters I ever knew was killed by lightening in Co. back in the 70's while elk hunting. Tom Postel was not only a good hunter (Trad, starting in the 50's) but a good guy! He has a very nice range (best in Iowa )named after him.

17-Apr-14
Not hunting, but my cousin and his friend were both toasted to a crisp at a sportsman's club barbecue. They went out together in a storm to flip hamburgers....no kidding. The one with the spatula got hit and jumped to the other. Dead at only 33 years old.

Sometimes your time is just up.

17-Apr-14
Zbone, dont remember the year, but just so you know he was a former NFL linebacker and an asst/grad assist at Cal, I believe. He was one of the deaths from the cursed '95 Chargers superbowl team if you are looking for a connection.

His brother is actually a wildlife biologist in Montana. Spends a lot of time in the high country.

17-Apr-14
weather turned on us one afternoon in the idaho backcountry.......it was midweek of a seven day hunt and the two bow hunters i was guiding didn't need a second to think about calling it an afternoon early, so we went back to the topcamp to clean up......sit in the cook tent and regroup. it had been a hot early start first part of the week and the bulls had just completely shutup. we had been pounding the ridges pretty hard for three days, so i really wasn't to worried about bringing my hunters in early.......they could clean up and so could i.

i put the stock away and fed up just as the first storm in that line hit, light rain, some wind, and not to much of a fire work display.....yet. close to dark coming on.......i left the cook tent to get something from the guides tent. i flipped open the wall tent door and was standing facing the rear of the tent. i think there was a large loud bang......but i can't really remember. i do remember sorta coming too......on my hands and knees facing the wall tent door. the tent was filled with a thick fog of dust and floor debris and the smell of ozone and burning foam. i remember standing up and turning around and just looking at my burning foam pad on top of my aluminum cot.

the strike had hit a lodgepole next to the wall tent......traveled along a root knocking me completely off my feet in the other direction and up my cot's aluminum leg.....setting my foam pad ablaze.......just about where i usually lay my head at night.

made for a pretty good story when i finally got back to the cook tent. sometimes......it's just not your time.

17-Apr-14
Not hunting, but many years ago while attending college, I was employed with the USFS during the summers. My first summer, I was assigned as a lookout relief.

I'd been through countless thunderstorms that summer with no issues. That all changed one early afternoon in July. I had been watching storms form all around with cloud to ground lightening, but they were all miles away. As I watched the distance storms, the clouds around my lookout began to darken and close in. The air was heavy and had a strange feeling to it.

Back then as a lookout, the protocol was to call dispatch over the radio and indicate that you are "signing off due to lightening". Then you turn the radio off and make your way to a wooden chair with glass insulators on each leg bottom. You sit on this chair until the danger passes. Of course, when you sign off, the entire forest personnel hears you. And once you get back down on the ground, you get a little hazing! Lol

Anyways, there I was. 90 feet up, above the tree tops in a metal lookout tower. The storm was intensifying right over me, lightening was cracking all around me. I was 19 years old and thought I was about to buy the farm! Without warning, all the hairs stood up and, KABOOOOM! A bolt hits my lookout tower, wraps around the perimeter and gets to ground. All the while, the tower is shaking.

The storm finally passes. Probably the longest 20 minutes of my life! I get back on the radio and call dispatch and indicate I'm back in service. To say I was rattled was an understatement. Dispatched chuckled and said, "Welcome back"

That was my only summer as a lookout relief. The following summers found me on the ground running an engine crew chasing fires! :)

18-Apr-14
I witnessed my friend get struck a few years ago. Let's just say he was about 1000 ft lower than I was and I was on a high point. The saying of get to lower country doesn't always work. The sky's were over cast with no thunder or rain. From that experience I'm convinced that when it's your time...it's your time.

18-Apr-14

luckychucky's embedded Photo
luckychucky's embedded Photo
On the night of our company picnic I had to run my boat home through this. The strikes were mainly on the mountains but I had all 115 horses at full throttle. Lightning is somewhat unusual in S.E. Alaska.

22-Apr-14
luckychucky your handle fits!

23-Apr-14
Just hunting whitails is looking better all the time !

23-Apr-14
Great thread everyone. Scary too. I was in CO last Sept during those storms ... every da'gone day at 1PM the storms came thru and the first few days it seemed was more lightning than rain. The first one was right on top of me - there was no "one Mississippi" between the flash and boom! I assessed myself - bow, carbon arrows, Kimber .45, GPS, camera ... whoa! I got a whole lotta metal and electronics on me! I dumped em in a pile in my pack fast and moved about 75 yards away and huddled under some smaller trees and tried to convince myself to enjoy the show! Whew! Did not know I should crouch on my pack ...

What about the poles in our tents? Are they unsafe? Electronics charging in m tent? Are they unsafe? Bow hanging on a tree 20 feet from my tent? Is that unsafe?

I'll close with a story about my closest call with lightning. My brother and I used to coon hunt. In 1978 or 79 were attending the Kenton National Coon Hunter Convention and Field Trial in Kenton OH. Largest Coon dog shindig of its kind set up on a farm with camp sites and booths through the farm fields and woods with people selling and buying and swapping coon dogs, gear and lots of BS! My parents, brother and I were meeting w/ Robert C. Kemmer of TN as my brother was buying a pup from him. It was raining lightly and we were sitting under a blue tarp off his truck camper. Across the trail from us about 5 yards was another dealer with a bunch of dogs. Some of the dogs were choker chained to a chain strung between trees. I think there were five coon dogs there. The storm picked up a bit and was raining harder with thunder but nothing bad and suddenly KABOOOM!

I saw a flash at my feet but didn't feel anything. Next thing that got my attention was all the ruckus from those five dogs. All five of those dogs were howling and I looked over they were all on their backs writing and howling and in about a minute they all went silent. I guess lightning struck one of the trees and the charge ran down the tree, out the chain and down each dogs choker chain and killed them all. Unbelievable.

Stay safe - as you can!

24-Apr-14
Wow Ohvaco, scary....

BTW, I used to go to the Kenton dog trials back in the day, matter of fact about the same time frame, mid to late seventies...8^)

25-Apr-14
Most entertaining, all. Thanks for the accounts.

Killed my first recurve Elk during a lightning storm near Crested Butte (up Cement Creek). I was convinced God ordained my hunt a success because of all the electricity. A few seasons later, I laid awake in a 4-man tent during the most violent of all my mountain storm experiences with my 13 year old son in the same valley near Crested Butte. I recall praying God spare this boy from a bolt of lightning and I'd never stalk Elk in a storm again. Karma.

Dear Lord, I pray we are all spared Your bolt of lightning this and every year we hunt, Amen.

25-Apr-14
I survived one a tent in WY a few years back. Un-fricken-believable lol.

But...When it's time, I'd take a lighting bolt on a high mountain elk hunt as a way to go vs cancer or some other death.

• Sitka Gear