elmer@laptop 22-Apr-14
Trevor Probandt 23-Apr-14
TD 24-Apr-14
bowbearman 24-Apr-14
NvaGvUp 24-Apr-14
18-Apr-14

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
Last fall I asked a non-hunting neighbor if he'd have any interest in tagging along with me on a hunt.

He jumped at the chance! I gave him a couple of choices and he chose my Panguitch Lake archery elk hunt this coming September.

Steve is not a hunter, but he and his wife love the outdoors. They've been at my table the past three-four years for the Friday night Sheep Show banquet and the NBU banquet. In two weeks they'll be joining my wife and me at the CA WSF banquet.

Over the past four years, Steve has bought a Mt. Lion capture trip NDOW donated to NBU, and twice bought a hibernating bear capture trip, also courtesy of NDOW and NBU.

Steve and Beth are the best neighbors you could ever hope to have, so I was thrilled he was interested in the elk hunt. To tell you the truth, I think he's more excited about it than I am! He's been asking me questions about gear, planning, etc. for the past four months.

This morning he sent me this photo of him buying his camo for the hunt.

I'll bet by this time next year, he'll be applying for tags!

18-Apr-14
Nice! Next. Ask him if he wants to shoot your bow!

18-Apr-14
Jason,

That's gonna' happen very soon, for sure!

He'll jump at the chance, without question.

18-Apr-14
Awesome Kyle. That has to pretty darn satisfying to see him transform over the years. I hope he's able to call a bull in real close.

18-Apr-14
One at a time Kyle, you win them over one at a time. Kudos.

18-Apr-14
Steve's never been opposed to hunting. He's just never known much about it.

He's originally from New Jersey and came to Reno several years ago.

He retired six years ago at an early age and just loves learning about wildlife and wild things.

A couple of times each summer we have a wild game BBQ here at the house and include them and another neighborhood couple or two. Steve and Beth love the elk, moose and deer things we serve.

I'm sure he'll freak out about elk hunting, esp. if I can get him up close and personal with a screaming bull!

18-Apr-14
Great story Kyle.

I've called for approx 8 guys over the years to shoot their first bull with a Bow. Doing it again this year in Wyo for a Kansas buddy- to share in their excitement is as good if not better than shooting one yourself.

18-Apr-14

19-Apr-14
its always exciting when your non hunting friends start to get interested in hunting. He will be shooting stuff in no time!

19-Apr-14
Kyle ~ so, if I figure it right, "success" for the trip will be getting Steve "close" to a screaming bull instead of necessarily harvesting one yourself (as you said above). It reminds me of a time when I lived and worked in Nova Scotia and took a fellow bowsiter turkey hunting for the first time. Similar deal except that he is an expert hunter. But, we were in a tire plant one day and he asked if he could join me. I usually do hunts on the "cheap" and warned him of that. We got off work at 5pm on Friday, drove 10 hours to Maine. Slept in the car near our hunting spot, got up and crawled out to a tree. Slept in the car Saturday night, hunted Sunday morning and then drove 10 hours back home. Never harvested one, but on the 2nd morning, just as light was breaking, a big TOM cut loose about 25 yds. behind him. I looked back at him and his face told me loud and clear "I'M HOOKED". I have since moved on, but he and his buddies have made that trip every year since. And, for the 2nd time in his life, he is flying down to join us in Colorado elk hunting this fall! Sorry for the long post, but had to share that memory...

19-Apr-14
Awesome!!! Looks like he won't need to "trade up"'in gear in the long run either.

19-Apr-14
#1Bear,

If I can get him close to a screaming bull, there WILL be a tag put on that bull! ;^)

21-Apr-14
Just curious- what's a Mt. Lion Capture Trip?

21-Apr-14
Rut Nut,

It's just like a Mt. Lion hunt except the NDOW biologists dart the lion, weigh and test it, collar it, then turn it loose.

21-Apr-14
NvaGvUp ~ AWESOME optimism! Can't wait for the pics :)

22-Apr-14
Cool.

23-Apr-14
Kudos to you sir! Well done indeed

24-Apr-14
camo's nice.... a sturdy pack frame is even nicer..... =D

24-Apr-14
I think it would be cool to go on the lion or bear darting adventure just to experance it.

Aaron

24-Apr-14

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
bowbearman,

I've not been on a lion or bear capture. But I have been on a deer capture and several desert bighorn sheep captures. It is indeed, very cool.

• Sitka Gear