LckyTylr 30-Apr-14
Bonecarpenter 01-May-14
Bonecarpenter 02-May-14
Jim98 04-May-14
Jason Scott 05-May-14
A.Russ 05-May-14
stephen /oregon 05-May-14
19-Apr-14
Hopefully someone smarter than me can tell me if this is a good idea.

I have a new iPhone and it's occurred to me that I might not need to carry a GPS into the backcountry since the iPhone can have GPS apps. I won't have cell phone reception but there will be a clear view of the sky. If the phone works as well as a GPS then I can leave the GPS at home and save weight.

Does the iPhone have a GPS receiver built into it? Or does it use cell phone towers for location? Because it uses the cell phone towers then it won't work in the backcountry.

If it will work then can anyone recommend an app that allows you to save waypoints and navigate through the woods easily?

Thanks!

19-Apr-14
It's not a true gps. It triangulates your location from cell towers and needs to upload data from the internet for its maps. That's a problem with no cell service.

You could possibly get it to work depending on if you can get any service, but it won't be that accurate and it will burn through battery in a hurry.

I wouldn't trust my life to it. More than likely you'd get so frustrated you would through it off a cliff.

19-Apr-14
GPS kit is what I use and it's great IMO....does cost about 10 bucks but well worth it. Never even used my garmin last 2 years in Colorado. Wvarcher

19-Apr-14
I used trimble gps on My iPhone last year Its a Good thing i know My area well because the gps got confused a few times

19-Apr-14
the iPhone does have a GPS receiver, and has since the iPhone 3G. the iPhone also has A-GPS capability, which lets the GPS receiver determine its current location much faster than normal. Without A-GPS, the GPS receiver has to wait -- sometimes multiple minutes -- before it can determine its location, because it doesn't know where the satellites are. A-GPS allows the phone to download satellite almanac data over the cellular network, so the GPS receiver can immediately know where all the satellites are. A-GPS is not necessary, however, for GPS operation -- even if you have no cellular service, you can still use the GPS receiver in the iPhone. I have done this many times, so I have no idea why your friends have had trouble. I recommend the MotionX GPS app or Trimble outdoors app, and it works really well out in the woods. You can even download offline map data.

19-Apr-14
Battery life would be my biggest concern.

19-Apr-14

Norseman's Link
http://bad-elf.com/pages/products

you can also go this route.

and yes. Battery life is a concern. but if you plug in your truck everynight, it works really really well.

19-Apr-14
Battery life is horrible on iPhone. It's not water proof either. Those two shortcomings DQ the iPhone for as a hunting GPS. I phone is not durable either. If you stood back and threw an iPhone and about any handheld GPS at each other, the GPS would blow the iPhone to smithereens. The screen resolution on the iPhone used to be a big advantage but now with the new garmin Oregon 600 series that isn't even an advantage anymore. The new oregons may even be better in bright sunlight.

Handheld GPS is much, much better. I use an iPhone app with cache able maps as a backup or for short near home hikes. As a matter fact I'm sitting in my truck about to go on a training hike and it just started raining so the iPhone is staying in the truck.

19-Apr-14
+10 on the battery, I go one step further, everything electronic I carry uses AA batteries, flashlight, gps, 2-way radio, head lamp. that way I know i'll never run out of batteries for my gps or other devices.

19-Apr-14
The lithium aa and aaa batteries are very expensive but they are lightweight and last a lot longer. Great for backpacking.

19-Apr-14
I carry both because my GPS doesn't have satellite imagery. But I always leave my iPhone in airplane mode, and just turn the airplane mode off when I want to check my location on google maps. Battery life is about 5x better on airplane mode.

19-Apr-14
I thought of doing the same thing with my iPhone and bought the onXmap app for NM. It works great with cell service, and leaves something to be desired without service. I'm not saying it is a bad app, I was just expecting more I guess. I'm still going to get a gps and use the onXmap sd cards.

19-Apr-14
Iphone does have a GPS. DL the free Trimble app. You have to DL the maps of the area you want to have a map for by first scrolling around the area, preferrably when you have wifi, at the desired resolution you want the map.

The battery goes quick, so if you switch back and forth between airplane mode, it is viable, but if you leave it on, it'll last about a day.

I bought a NewTrent battery which will charge the phone 5 times. I also have a big battery back at the truck that can be used to jump your truck, inflate tires/air mattress, and has a USB out. Taking that along fully charged is also plenty of power to charge your phone every night.

Last couple trips, I've not even turned my GPS on or carried it.

If you have a nice expensive GPS like Oregon or better, I'd just use that, but anything else, the phone makes a great replacement.

19-Apr-14
I just add SAT imagery, topos, and the huntinggps maps to my GPS.

20-Apr-14

Archer-D's Link
This is what I'm wanting to try when it comes out in June. Battery pack plus topos on the iPhone. (Even my old 4!)

http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/TopoCharger/

20-Apr-14
Durability is still a huge concern, but color topos for $150 sounds ok to me. Like Pat said, I wouldn't trust my life to it but that's why I have a compass and a paper map as backup.

20-Apr-14
That sounds like something to look into Archer-D..thanks! I have the 4s as well. I'll let you buy it first and report back on how well it works before I take the plunge:)

20-Apr-14
Garmin 600 Oregon. Longer battery life, Easy battery change, topo's, sat images, pre-plot waypoints and routes, water resistant,

iPhone- fragile, expensive, not inherently water resistant, poor battery life.

20-Apr-14
Ditto __Pat

20-Apr-14
- Pat X3

I'd never...trust my hunt/life -- on my IPhone

--Garmin--Huntinggpsmaps.com (now X Hunts I believe) chip--

Solid System.

Good Luck with your search, Nick

20-Apr-14
Give this app a try- its called "Geology (Insert State Name)". For $5, it gives you the boundaries without using cell towers. Worth checking out if nothing else works out.

20-Apr-14
Bowsite Rocks !!!

Idyllwild and other have said that the iPhones now have GPS without needing cell reception. Thanks for the info. I'll check out the Trimble app.

I would only turn on the iPhone to use the GPS for 30 minutes per day at the most. Generally its to verify my position on a ridge or in a draw. I might mark a wallow maybe. Since I'm way in the backcountry I'm not using it to hunt any of those checkerboard areas with private property so I don't need a good GPS. By only using it occasionally I'm thinking that I should easily get a week out of it.

Of course it's a great advantage to have good aerial or topo maps. It's a lot cheaper to get them on my iPhone than it is on my GPS.

ABQBW and others said that the iPhone isn't durable and I believe it. I've got a "waterproof" case that adds durability.

With the case the iPhone is 5.5 ounces. Now I can eliminate my GPS at 4.5 ounces and my alarm clock at 2.0 ounces. I was probably bringing the phone anyways. Yes - I count ounces.

Now my concern is if I use it as an alarm clock will I run out of battery by just leaving it on at night for 5-7 nights?

I'll still have a compass and forest service topo map so I won't have to trust the iPhone's GPS with my hunt or life.

21-Apr-14
I use a free app called RMAPS. I use it with my Droid so I'm not sure if it's available for iphones.

RMAPS is an offline mapping tool that works with your gps turned on and your phone in airplane mode. I was able to go several days in Colorado wilderness on a single battery charge (turning it off at night or when I didn't need it on).

I haven't figured out everything that it can do but it does show an aerial photo background and your location. It has a tracking mode so you can see where you've been, the miles you've covered, your time traveled and the direction your headed.

I would name and save each track for each day and could see the different routes taken and miles walked. I think it is the best free app of any kind out there. I use it to track miles while shed hunting and various other adventures.

21-Apr-14
Tried mine for GPS. Marked a bunch of waypoints on a test run, and next time I went out the waypoints were way off in relation to the map. First test being a fail was proof enough for me.

21-Apr-14
a phone is not a suitable GPS for wilderness use.

24-Apr-14
I disagree with most on here because i made the choice to carry the iphone 4 instead of a gps. the only issue i have with my setup is getting the downloaded maps to load (go figure) but they usually work and i use them A LOT. the GPS reciever always knows where i am once i adjusted the sensitivity in the apps. I use: iphone 4, lifeproof case ($80), Trimble Navigator pro ($5), GPS Kit (10), Scoutlook: Hunting (free), Hunt by onX (free), and sometimes Google Earth (free). To obtain 2 1/2 full charges, i use the Brunton Inspire ($35), and for longer trips the Goal Zero Nomad 7 (gift). since i would have the phone and case anyway, and the solar panel i rarely pack was a gift, i figure i spent 50 bucks and i always have my equiptment with me. this system allows me to use all of my phones features (sometimes even cellular and 3g) at the cost of only 50 dollars and excludes only a headlamp and a SPOT reciever (HIGHLY recommended) for electronics. not bad for only a phone and little lithium battery pack. In all likelyhood, i would have purchased the apps anyway because i use them all the time to check out spots or property or road access or...anything really they are just handy and usefull. for me, why pack an expensive GPS as well. just my opinion and its worked for over 3 years.

24-Apr-14
The phone is durable with the case. I can scubadive with my phone and drop it off of my roof, but I have the Fort Knox of OtterBox.

As far as the alarm question, I use it for my alarm. You have to put the phone on Airplane mode. If you don't, you'll burn your phone, but it only takes a couple % points to run it on Airplane mode all night.

People say it's not suitable for wilderness or that they would not trust their life to it...

I have a different take. I would not trust my life to any electronic device. If I lost it or broke it, I would be just fine with my paper map/compass that I have anyways. The phone app is a bonus and helps a lot, but I sure as hell wouldn't be dying if I lost my phone or GPS while I'm out there. If you're honestly only going to use it for 30 mins/d, as was/is the case with me, it'll last and it's a viable option.

I would still say that a touch screen GPS is still better, but I'm too cheap to spend $500 on a GPS.

I've used my phone exclusively on 2 elk trips and countless local mule deer hunts (these have been between 2 to 5 miles from camp the vehicle). Again, I don't even use my GPS anymore.

24-Apr-14
Good stuff guys! I supplement a simple "Get Back" or "Backtrack" GPS that take 5 waypoints. Mark the truck or camp and just hit return when it's dinner time! Very small and only a couple OZ's.

30-Apr-14
Trimbles backpacker pro allows you to download the maps you want and store them. It works great but the life on my phone is 4 hours running it. I am getting an Oregon GPS. The phone worked fine for one year but a gps is way better.

30-Apr-14
2nd for the Trimble Backpacker Pro. I use that, in addition to a cheap external battery pack for recharging. I have the Lifeproof case that's waterproof. I'm good for 4 days of light use (getting it out and marking points 3-4 times per day and using it on airplane mode as an alarm clock). It's all the GPS I need, whether it be for Hunting, Dirtbiking, Mountain Biking or backcountry skiing.

I'm thinking about buying a Mophie Juice Pack Pro Battery/Case as work will reimburse me for it ($150). They are 50% off right now at my local Office Depot store.

30-Apr-14
2nd for the Trimble Backpacker Pro. I use that, in addition to a cheap external battery pack for recharging. I have the Lifeproof case that's waterproof. I'm good for 4 days of light use (getting it out and marking points 3-4 times per day and using it on airplane mode as an alarm clock). It's all the GPS I need, whether it be for Hunting, Dirtbiking, Mountain Biking or backcountry skiing.

I'm thinking about buying a Mophie Juice Pack Pro Battery/Case as work will reimburse me for it ($150). They are 50% off right now at my local Office Depot store.

01-May-14
I am a serious backcountry hunter and backcountry skiier and have used an iphone for gps for several years now. I use a lifeproof case and have had the phone in countless snowstorms and rainstorms with no problems. Dunked it steelheading once with an otterbox case and it was done so cant recommend that case. Highly recommend the topo maps app which allows you to download any. Topo map in the US and then that map is permanently downloaded on your phone so the map is avail outside cell range. The gps on ur phone needs no cell coverage to work and will show you exactly where you are on ur previously downloaded topo maps. Only downside is there is no tracking function that plots ur path like a garmin. You can drop pins on the topos to keep track of where youve been. I go lightweight and now carry no maps, gps or camera because my iphone does all those things and better imo

01-May-14
Bone...how does it work when you are getting no cell signal?

My AT&T 4S doesn't do so good... it stopped working for me on a country road in the middle of missouri turkey hunting last week. It was no issue becuase I just drove until I was getting a signal again and it started working and I ended up on the town I was trying to get to.....but ony after I had signal.

02-May-14
The gps on an iPhone works completely independent of the cell signal. All I need a cell signal for is to download a topo for the area I will be hunting on my topo maps app. Once the topo map is downloaded its on ur phone independent of cell signal. One other limitation is that you cannot view satellite image of an area without cell signal.

04-May-14

Jim98's Link
If you have a spare Android phone, there are free dash cam apps that turn your phone into a high resolution dash cam complete with auto save, save to Youtube, save photo etc. The one I had used is called "DailyRoads Voyager" but there are others such as "Torque App", "Autoguard", etc.

However, if you'd like a dedicated dashcam with reasonable price, this might be your choice: http://www.szswill.com

05-May-14
I have used my iphone exclusively for the last two years and leave my garmin in the truck. I carry a laminated map and compass for true navigation. Most of the time I use the gps app (Trimble Outdoors) on iphone for reference and strategy but not necessarily for navigation alone. Electrical devices are too slow for use in navigation the whole time. It is much easier to reach around and pull the map out and stuff it back than to get out the gps, turn it on and wait on it. Most of the time I know just about where I am. Relying on a devise to bank your life on is bad business. I wouldn't even bank my life on a garmin.

Iphone can last up to a week or more if used for reference and planning for about 20 mins a day total usage and powered off between sessions. I usually turn it on 4 or 5 times a day. That is a lot of usage. I carry a yoobao battery bank to charge the phone up to 4 times if needed but rarely ever use it. If you find that you just have to get your gps out in the rain it means you have already made several bad decisions and blaming the phone is just scapegoating. I get within 100' accuracy on my iphone gps app, usually better.

There is absolutely no cell phone coverage where I go. I download the maps as described already by someone else.

The only reason I would think about a regular gps is if I am brush busting off trail every night to get back to camp. Again, that is just a bad plan to begin with.

05-May-14
i have tried multiple times to use gps on my phone and it never works out...

05-May-14
Lots of good advice here and there are a number of the above mentioned apps that I have not tried, but am sure they are good.

Last year I paid for an App called Gaia after reading about it on the Backpacking light forum. It cost me $19 one time fee on my iPhone and I think it is $10 on a droid device. One of the best $20 I ever spent.

You have access to all maps in USA for that fee. You just download the area before your trip ( can download a huge area for each map download ) and then the program will work on the phone without any cell coverage. The GPS part of a phone works whether or not you have coverage. But.... If you do not download a map with this program before you go and you do not have coverage, then it just will show an arrow of where you are on a blank screen. Not good- so just download maps when you have service; and preferably with wifi. Because if you are not hooked up to a computer or wifi and are just downloading maps with regular cell coverage- it will work, but - it will take longer, but most important, you will use up a lot of your data plan. I learned that the hard way- I used 75% of my data plan by downloading a map while using only cell coverage.

But when I was on a hunting trip last year, I changed locations and just downloaded maps for the new area while I had a burger at a restaurant and used their wifi. Easy to do.

The Gaia has maps that will work w/o coverage that are very accurate. These include: USGS topo's; USGS Arial; Open Cycle map; Open Street map; USFS maps; Goggle Terrain; Goggle world imagery; and more.

Last year was the first time I used an iPhone GPS app, and found myself carrying my Garmin GPS for first few days also. But- after I found out how extremely accurate the iPhones program was, I did not carry the Garmin anymore. But I also always have a map and compass with me at all times. And I always will.

The Gaia's programs accuracy blew me away. When using it in USFS National forest mode sometimes I would be on an old obscure road that was listed on the map, but over grown and only 10' or so wide. And.... The GPS program would put me right on the road. And this was exact almost every time. The thing that was nice about having different layers and maps available was that certain features would be on some that were not on others. For example the road ( old skid road) that was listed on USFS map was not on the USGS topo; and that helped us with having a different easier route to pack out a bull. Also my Garmin does have Goggle imagery, so I had never used that in the back country; so it was a valued and eye opening feature to use. Good luck with finding suitable program for your phone.

• Sitka Gear