swampokie 28-Jul-15
oldtimer 28-Jul-15
oldtimer 28-Jul-15
bigeasygator 28-Jul-15
easeup 28-Jul-15
Bullfrog 01-Aug-17
HDE 01-Aug-17
29-Apr-14
I have been doing some research on the Valle Vidal area and the more I read, the more excited I get. Some of my internet browsing turned me on to this site where it looks like you guys have a wealth of knowledge. Has anyone ever hunted the Valle Vidal area for elk? I drew an archery tag for Sept 1-15 and was just curious as to what I can expect. Thanks.

29-Apr-14
Expect one heck of an elk hunt. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity that I've not been fortunate enough to experience yet. I know a lot of guys who have been on that hunt and the only complaint I've heard from any of them was that the hunt had to end. Enjoy it!

29-Apr-14
I was actually dumb enough last year to not put in with the guys I hunt with and they drew the second archery. I went up Thurs after work and hunted with them Friday. One had already filled out and was there when the second bull was taken.

All I can say is WOW! I have never experienced anything like that before - 20-30 bulls screaming like no tomorrow in just the area they were hunting.

I think you may have the better hunt, especially toward the end. They will not have established the "pecking order" yet and it should be easier to call in a good bull. Toward the end of their hunt it seemed as though it would be a little more difficult to call in a good bull since most of them had their cows gathered up.

I need to go back with a tag in my own pocket.

29-Apr-14
The VV is one of the best places in NM, you will not be disappointed.

29-Apr-14
Thanks for the feedback...all has been very encouraging. Is this area known for holding large bulls? Is it realistic to hold out for one over 300 inches?

29-Apr-14
Listen to Mr. Elite....he helped us out a bunch on our hunt but we failed to capitalize. Still a great hunt and an awesome place!!

Hope you are doing well John!

Thanks, Matt

29-Apr-14
I had a blast last year on my hunt. It ended way too early! I would think that the early hunt would be fantastic as well since they haven't gathered all of their cows yet but who really knows. I've talked to some people who have had the early hunt and they had a tough time. I really can't figure out why though. I hunted about 1 1/2-2 miles in from the road and had all the elk action one could possibly think of. I hunted high instead of the low flats around McCrystal. Hunted mostly south of commanche creek and also west of there. It's an easy walk in and then you can pick where you want to go. It won't matter which direction. There is a nice ridge on the west side of the big valley that I hunted that is really easy to get onto from the backside. The elk bugle all night long out there then come onto that ridge to bed down. We would ambush them as they came into the trees and hunt around their bedding areas. It's an easy walk west of commanche creek as well but it's an easy uphill walk. Lots of old cabins up there which is really neat to see. some people pack in to the north into the really high stuff but I don't think that's necessary. If I could hunt it again I would pack into the areas I hunted just a mile or two farther and stay in longer instead of walking out every day. Stay out all day if you camp at one of the two campgrounds. I was into elk literally all day. Had to back out of their bedding areas just to give them some rest and not spook them too much.

It's an incredible place and i think it's the best place NM has to offer. Most of the bulls average between 290-330 with some big whoppers in there too. No where else will you see so many 300" class bulls. I saw rubs that were 5-6 feet wide and higher than I could reach on some of those big pines west of commanche creek. Simply incredible. There is a drivable road just outside from Cimmaron campground that will take you all the way to the head of the big valley. You could pack in from there but the road is approx. ten miles long. Walking in from Cammanche creek is only about 3-4 miles. I would recommend at least one scouting trip just to get the lay of the land, roads, trails, etc. It'a a cool place with a ton of history. Just learning about the history of the place is really interesting from who had the first spanish land grant to when Penzoil owned it. Valle vidal, Vermejo, and Philmont Scout Ranch all used to be the same piece! There used to be small lumber towns in there and you can see evidence of where it has been logged many years ago. Just an amazing place and you should be really excited! Bring your flyrod if you fill your tag and enjoy some great fishing on Rio Costillo. Congrats and I am jealous!

29-Apr-14
Sounds like paradise.

29-Apr-14

Outdoorsdude's embedded Photo
Outdoorsdude's embedded Photo
Here is a teaser for you. Yes, you can expect a 300 bull.

29-Apr-14
That's a great bull, look at the 3rds on that dude!!

Doing good Matt, headed to Fairbanks in Sept for moose but am having some major elk withdraws with all these elk threads.

Hope you had good luck with this years draws!

JP

29-Apr-14
Wow. What an incredible bull!

Thanks again for all the information. You have all succeeded in making the next 4 months crawl by for me.

29-Apr-14
It'll be here before you know it!!

29-Apr-14
I assume you drew that tag as a NR. Did you go in the outfitter pool?

If not, you got the one and only tag, grats on that.

Sure hope you post your results after the hunt :)

07-May-14
I did draw the tag as a NR. I will not be using an outfitter. Weird because I never win anything. Thanks for all the comments and helpful information.

Does anyone know how many non-hunters you are allowed to take with you. I was hoping to take two guys to video, but I can't find any information on the guest policies. Thanks!

07-May-14
There are no guest policies that I am aware of. It's not like the Sergeant's or Valles Caldera. Take as many as you think you need.

07-May-14
Sargent's is a WMA and all you need for those is a hunting/fishing license or a GAIN permit. Valles Caldera is a national preserve, way different beast. The Valle Vidal is just a managed game unit which is why NR hunters can apply for bull tags. The Valle Vidal is USFS with it's own district rules. There is no guest policy on USFS land.

07-May-14
Also, you can only camp in the campgrounds and back country so if you want to have a base camp at Cimarron campground my suggestion would be to reserve it in advance, sometimes there are no sites available and you will end up at Mccrystal camp ground which is not a bad thing it is just in a different area of the VV, it depends where you will be hunting, it's all good!!

08-May-14
I'm tempted to drag JP up there just to show me the ropes during your hunt!!!

08-May-14
This year wife and I decided to put our bows down, surprising we drew 1 bull and 1 cow tag rifle elk tags in VV, in late Oct and early Nov. Super excited our base camp will be around Shree ponds. Never been there so this summer I'll be camping up there a lot to see the area. Hopefully it will be a great hunt.

08-May-14
Depending on how dry a year we have the campgrounds could have some undesirable bear activity.

08-May-14
+1 Windtech007

My daughter and I were there a few years ago fishing the ponds and she catches a nice 24" trout, we went back to the campground and cooked it up, cleaned all the dishes and put them back in the camper then we went back to the pond for an evening fish. When we got back to the camp after fishing we find out that earlier in the evening a bear got into the camp right next to us, we never told the neighbors of our dinner since we were pretty sure we lured it in with that delicious fish. The bear wasn't there long but did have enough time to tear up their ice chest they left sitting out before the camp caretaker chased it away with some blanks.

If you go back country be prepared for some awesome electrical storms, the kind of storms that will scare the crap out of you!! I hear we are going to have an El Nino year!

08-May-14
We had lots of bear activity...still have tooth marks on my cooler to remember it by:)

Matt

09-May-14
I didn't see a single bear there last year! Crazy, I know. I hunted all the high country and nothing low around the McCrystal area. I saw no evidence of acorns or berries where I hunted and that could be the reason why I didn't see any bears. I saw a ton of sign and evidence of bears from prior years and only 1 pile of scat in 6 days. Every year is different and I would certainly take precautions against bears. Don't leave your trash or food out. There are bear proof garbage containers at each campground for your use. I sure did hope to see a nice bear because I would certainly would have tried to shoot it. I guess I should have sat on the gut pile of my elk but I was more focused on getting a bull for my dad as well.

You can't camp by Shuree Ponds. The closest campground is Cimmaron and it's about a mile walk from the ponds or you can just drive right to the ponds. I would fish the river first because it seemed to me like the ponds were over fished.

09-May-14
Trey, do you know where you will be hunting? If not, I've hunted there twice, my hunt and brother-in-law's hunt. I'd be glad to give you some info if you would like it, since I'll probably never return there. PM me if you would like. Steve

09-May-14
I've got a yeti cooler that is black bear proof. I can show you the evidence. I don't know if it is grizzly bear proof. Cimmarron camp groud was where it happened. My buddy's igloo was ripped to shreds!

Bronc

28-Jul-15

Skunkwerks's Link
Anyone interested,I found a hunt in this area! http://www.ebay.com/itm/261982999502?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649 Happy hunting!

28-Jul-15
My scam radar is dinging.

28-Jul-15
I know landowner tags are available for Unit 55, but they are private land only and do not allow for hunting in the Valle Vidal. I'd stay away for sure!

28-Jul-15
I contacted the seller, apparently his brother drew the tag and can't make the hunt so he asked him to sell it. I told him tags were non-transferable with only a few very specific exceptions and that it would have to go through the NMDGF. The seller sounded like he was just trying to do someone a favor and when I pointed him to the regulations he thanked me and took down the listing.

28-Jul-15
I would give a body part for that tag.

Sounds like the brother should hunt! (What a problem to have!)

Thanks bigeasygator for helping educate him. Sounds like his helpful nature could have put him in peril w/o even knowing it. Great approach in chatting with the guy.

28-Jul-15
I hunted the Valle in 2011...that tag would sell for way more than what he was asking if it could!!! It's a magical place. I came home empty handed but had more encounters and learned more about elk hunting and hunting in general during those six days than I have in all my other elk hunts combined!

28-Jul-15
Did you draw any nm tags?

28-Jul-15

oldtimer's embedded Photo
My 2013 Valle Vidal Mount by High Desert Taxidermy

28-Jul-15

Another photo of 2013 Valle Vidal elk

28-Jul-15
No tags for me this year swampokie, but I will be headed to the tundra in a month with JHA to chase caribou. I'd like to try and get one more hunt in this season somewhere!

Oldtimer, that's a beautiful bull and mount!!

28-Jul-15
I hunted the VV about 15 yrs ago and had an awesome hunt just as everyone else has stated. I was fortunate to take home a real stud also. PM anytime for information. We took the horses and packed in just below Costilla Pk and had the place to ourselves. How do you sleep at night waiting?

01-Aug-17
I heard the Cimarron Campground was first come first serve . Is it true you have to reserve a spot?

01-Aug-17
Only on first archery hunt. Anything after that is first come.

• Sitka Gear