gwm 11-May-14
glidingindian 12-May-14
gwm 27-Aug-14
Buglmin 27-Aug-14
Beendare 27-Aug-14
gwm 29-Aug-14
ki-ke 29-Aug-14
08-May-14
I and a couple of buddies drew a 3rd season archery tag and am wondering if anyone could give me a little insight into the unit? We are excited and have started our research but since none of us have ever been in the unit we are wondering:

Are there certain regions to key on?

Should we plan on a central camp and hunt from there or should we have equipment to spike out?

Should we bring some treestands/blinds to hunt water/wallows?

Is there a lot of pressure in the unit? If so, can we get away from it?

How are the roads in the unit - can we get a utility trailer down them?

Sorry for all the questions but we are trying to learn all we can. This will also be our first archery elk hunt so am extra excited.

Thanks,

Greg

09-May-14
Are there certain regions to key on?

1) it's all good, pick a place and you will have a blast.

Should we plan on a central camp and hunt from there or should we have equipment to spike out?

2)Yes and Yes

Should we bring some treestands/blinds to hunt water/wallows?

3)Sure but I don't see the need, better to move a lot and hit pockets.

Is there a lot of pressure in the unit? If so, can we get away from it?

4) Yes but you don't have to necessarily get away from it, just got to find the right pocket it's not hard to do on the 3rd hunt

How are the roads in the unit - can we get a utility trailer down them?

5) good for base camp areas, some other roads are very rocky and some are mud bogs it depends on weather

09-May-14
Mrelite has all the right answers.

I would stress that being mobile and having plans all the way to G and H will keep you in elk.

Be on the elk in the dark. Hours before, if necessary. Shadow them until it is light enough to kill them. It helps to find them the night before and be waiting for them in the mornings as they head back up.

Great tag, great unit. Ignore the wieners.

09-May-14
"Great tag, great unit. Ignore the wieners. ki-ke out"

Some of the best advice you'll ever get! Goodluck, Mike

09-May-14
Mrelite pretty much answered it. My two times there I have never ran across people while hunting. Driven by plenty in an out but it all depends on where you hunt. If you are sitting water I prefer a tree stand (whitetail hunter in me) but I imagine the third hunt youll be doing more calling and moving. Elk are nearly everywhere in this unit. Like others have said listen, find them in the dark morning and get on them. Plenty of roads to camp on where you can get your trailer but also plenty of roads where you won't want to take it. Camp wherever you want, a few miles on a atv in the dark is no big deal. Elk will literally start bugling once you kill the engine. If they don't I'd move on down the road. Best of luck. Hunt hard, but not too fast, and post some pictures when you get home cell signal sucks nearly everywhere.

09-May-14
Hunted there last year the mid bowhunt the elk where on fire went back with my buddy for the 3rd season and the elk went silent . The elk are in pockets here not all over as suggested yes there are a ton of elk a ton, but they have certain areas the like. While im certainly not willing to give up my spots in this unit. I can say there is a lot of pressure from the 2 hunts before you i saw hunters all the time ... Hunters are where the elk are therefore your bound to see them.

take a look around quemado lake or sand flats ; )

09-May-14
I've never hunted the third season just the first. The first has significantly more tags(people) than the third hunt and I've never had problems with people. That's why I like the first hunt, unpressured elk and many residents only hunt Labor Day weekend. I guess with the short third hunt everyone is out at the same time.

09-May-14
gwm, I will be hunting 15 the second season. It's also my first time hunting the unit. A couple of great guys on this site have been a huge help to me. If you shoot me a PM with your email I will give you a progress report while I'm out there. I will also share what I've learned while out there.

09-May-14
Hunted 15 eight times. Going again this year, addicted. Killed first solo bull in 99 on landowner tag. Agree with mrelite and ki-ke for almost all in their posts -lot of elk but pockets vary year to year - two of my years were drought years 02 and 11. Sucked....Bad . Other years great fun. -you will run into people fairly often. Most are courteous and respectful and helpful if needed. Had a flat in boondocks and a local outfitter ( Lolo Hernandez) and his client driving by 5 min later had commercial jack, power etc. had me out in few minutes and smiled whole time. Never had met them before. Refused payment. -would camp on primary roads , no need to spike out IMHO. If it rains you will b glad. Keeps you out of most elk pockets for you and others. -getting on elk early in dark great idea. They are becoming more call shy - personally wish all would walk and use 4 wheelers only to pack out. Can't stand noise

" great unit , great tag. Ignore the wieners". Classic

11-May-14
Thanks for the great advice. It is truly appreciated.

Is the country fairly open for glassing or thick junipers or lodgepoles?

I am not certain what "ignore the wieners" truly means but I will take that advice to heart.

Thanks again.

Greg

11-May-14
I just read through the ???? thread on here and am wondering if there are questions I should be asking but am unaware of since I am a first time elk archery hunter?

Greg

12-May-14
Would suggest u find local guide to hire for at least couple days. There is a good bit of private ground and some don't allow hunting or are ranch only. Guide even better idea if your buddies also first timers. Some years are better than others but usually good action. Don't expect to see lot of really big bulls although there is potential for a giant. There is meat processor in reserve and you can get supplies there as well as in Datil. Cannot remember how much is available in Quemado Good luck, hope your hunt lives up to expectations

27-Aug-14
Thought I might bring this thread to the top and see if anyone has any additional thoughts.

We have been conditioning and shooting and now have begun packing items and planning logistics.

The hunt can't get here soon enough!

Good Luck to everyone on their upcoming hunts!

Greg

27-Aug-14
Greg, we started hunting 15 in the late 80's early 90's, and love that unit. The quality of big bulls have gone down, but there are still some solid 350" bulls to be found, just not everywhere.

The last time I hunted it in 2011, there were several outfitters in there, blocking the roads so guys couldn't get by their trucks and bother their clients sitting over water holes. Areas like Slaughter Mesa receive lots of pressure, but the elk are still there. Areas like Fox Mountain don't really get hunted that hard. Bulls will be bugling that third season, but will be call shy. Gotta be aggressive on them. Finding the bulls in the dark is pretty easy cause they go nuts once the sun goes down. 15 is a good unit, the third hunt kinda hard. There is a meat locker closer then Reserve, and things are pricey in Quemado, especially the ice!! Good luck.

27-Aug-14
I might add- when you hear the elk screaming down in thpose meadows before light....don't plan on them still being there come sunup.

29-Aug-14
Thanks everyone - truly appreciated.

Buglmin - What do you mean by aggressive?

29-Aug-14
Greg

"Ignore the wieners"!

Meaning you will run into some, depending on where you go.

Wieners come in the form of outfitters who believe they own the public they are hunting on, ranchers who lock gates into public that they think they own, and bonehead hunters who cut locks on FS roads so they can drive their lazy a$$es to within 50 yards of the tank that you have been hunting for 3 days as gently as you can.

Wieners.

As I said back in May, stay positive, stay mobile and have plans well into the middle of the alphabet. Most of your plan shifting will be as a result of hunting pressure.

Be where you think they are going while it is still dark. Keep your calling from zero to minimal. They will be bugling all night so you will have no problem finding them, but where they are all night is not where they will be when the sun rises. Figure out where he and his girls are going and be there in the dark and you'll kill a jumbo!

Easy!

Have a great hunt. Can't wait to hear the report.

Feel free to PM me if you want more specifics.

Steve

• Sitka Gear