ki-ke 12-Jul-14
mrelite 12-Jul-14
KYELKAHOLIC 13-Jul-14
Bronc@work 14-Jul-14
KYELKAHOLIC 14-Jul-14
Ca_bow_huntr 16-Jul-14
arctichill 16-Jul-14
27-Jun-14
I am a CA resident who drew a New Mexico gmu16b archery tag for sept11-18. Was wondering if anyone could help with some basic info. I was wondering how the unit has been affected by all the wildfire. I could trade someone some info on nm gmu2 elk, I have killed bulls there with a bow the last two years.

Thanks for any help you might have!

28-Jun-14
Tons of info on 16B throughout the years. Search it and you will find some good stuff and helpful posters.

11-Jul-14
yes there was lots of it burned last year and year before. This year that burn area will be good. Key to this unit is backcountry access,look into a drop camp if you cant do fully guided hunt unless you have mules or horses. Rains are pretty decent so far,its raining today there. good luck

12-Jul-14
I killed my first elk with a bow in unit 16b at 15 years old. Hopefully I'll kill another this fall...19 years after the first. There are elk all over the unit so I wouldn't worry too much about getting tips on "where to go". There are big bulls all across the unit. Also, it's a huge unit with a moderate number of tags. You shouldn't have any trouble getting away from other hunters if that's a concern. As you surely know, the unit is mosly wilderness so if you want a short pack trip hunt close to the few roads that exist (contrary to popular belief, there are ek near roads). If you want a true backcountry wilderness hunt...congratulations you have the perfect tag! If backcountry is what you're after, then you already know it's hard work. With that said, here's my advice:

1) September can be HOT. Try to keep in mind how long it will take you to get your animal out...not just how much work it will be. Dave's advice about mules comes into play here. There is nothing worse than finishing a grueling pack-out only to realize that the meat you've been packing isn't going to be any good.

2) Water shown on a map is NOT always water. Springs, creeks or tanks shown on your map or GPS or Google Earth or whatever otheer tools you use might be dry as a bone. I'm not telling you that for scouting purposes. I'm saying that because when YOU need water and you get to a spot where you plan on getting water and it's not there....that's a real bad deal.

These two tips might be things you already know all about. I'm simply sharing them because I'm a native New Mexican and I've made both of these critical errors while hunting in the Gila. It never hurts to hear a reminder.

Good luck and have a great hunt!

12-Jul-14
Artic has good advice. I have the 1st hunt in 16B this year. I hunted it a couple of times before but the last was 15 years ago. I'm sure I'll have some better info when I get back from my hunt.

12-Jul-14
Arctic has some great advice, especially when it comes to water sources. What is indicated on maps and GE is not often wet. Potential sources of drinking water are difficult to find in the backcountry, unless camped by a river. I would not draw and drink water from a tank, even with the best filters.....unless in a true emergency.

I drew tags last year AND in 2012. I was packed in both times, saw few other hunters and had wonderful hunts both years.

Feel free to PM me for additional details.

Steve

12-Jul-14
I agree that water can be an issue, last year while scouting most of the tanks in my area where dry even though it was raining all around the Gila so I reluctantly packed in water prior to my hunt but ended up not needing much of it because the rains came on the second hunt and water was everywhere. After the flooding some of the tanks near me were completely filled in with dirt, rocks and debris and will never be tanks again, kind of sad! these tanks had been there a very long time.

13-Jul-14
Be ready for rain. It can rain relentlesly in there some years at that time of year as it can in any Gila unit.

14-Jul-14
If you want to talk rain, last year was unbelievable. It sucks when the mountains come down on you! Trust me!

14-Jul-14
I was there last year as well! It was a doozy. Seems like rain is always presnt to some degree or another on any hunt ive had down there.

16-Jul-14
Is hunting over wallows or water holes productive in this unit?

16-Jul-14
It definitely can be. When it's real dry, the competition between hunters for water holes can be ugly. When it's real wet, hunting water holes is less combative for obvious reasons. I personally would choose to hunt a wallow over a water hole if those were my only two choices. I like the fact that wallows aren't shown on maps. lol

For me though, I don't like to sit much unless it's to glass. I'm just not very compatible with stands or blinds although it can be an extremely effective method (except for me because I'll just fall asleep).

• Sitka Gear