Paul@thefort 09-Jul-14
WV Mountaineer 09-Jul-14
Hammer 09-Jul-14
olebuck 10-Jul-14
oldgoat 11-Jul-14
Bigdan 13-Jul-14
chuckles 13-Jul-14
07-Jul-14
Going to an outfitted hunt at Bull Basin Outfitters in CO in September. Staying in a cabin.

What are some opinions on the need for a bow sling?

Any other "Great Ideas" would be helpful!

Counting the days here

07-Jul-14
horseback or not?

07-Jul-14
You are going to a quality run operation. They provide an excellent hunt with a chance at really nice animals. Enjoy the hunt and show us the pics!

07-Jul-14
I use a primos sling but it is an old model and doesn't fit the newer bows. Does anyone know if they make a newer sling to fit the newer Mathews models? They are nice to help protect your string and cams. I also use a sight cover and take both off when going in on the animal.

07-Jul-14
Yes, regarding the new Primos slings. Fits my Chill R without issues.

07-Jul-14
The new neoprene Primos sling fits my Hoyt Maxxis 35, although it is tight... so I would think it should fit just about any compound bow.

07-Jul-14
Great didn't know a new one was out and available.

07-Jul-14
Does a sling work well if wearing a backpack?

07-Jul-14
I have a number of them and consider them to be useless.

07-Jul-14
In my mind they are not useless. Maybe its piece of mind knowing there is some kind of protection of the string and cams. Protection from sticks, bushes, rocks, stuff hitting it while in the truck, etc. I am especially grateful of mine while riding horseback. Most of the time it is in my hand, but when an open stretch comes I throw it over the shoulder and give my hand a break. I like it when I put it in my luggage for travel also. I do not like to search for it after my stalk ensues. Sometimes don't have time to pack it away before moving in.

07-Jul-14

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
I recently found this one that fits my needs.

The bow is a single cam, 32 ATA, Mathews.

Fits well and can be easily removed if on may walk up on a bull. This was one of the top criteria for me when purchasing a sling.

Can be use with a back pack.

And then what loesshillsarcher said.

Paul

07-Jul-14
don't get me wrong....I keep a sling in my pack at all times. I just never use it.

07-Jul-14
I've not found a use for one. In most situations, a soft case that fully protects the bow and sight is preferred. Otherwise, I want full control of the bow to protect it. That means it's in my hand, not slung over anything. There are occasionally very short periods of time where it might be useful, just not often enough to carry one around.

07-Jul-14
I have a bow sling and really like it, it helps free up my hands when I'm walking. I use it while wearing my backpack and haven't had any issues.

07-Jul-14
I've been using this for about 15 years both elk hunting in Colorado and sitting or standing in the stand hunting whitetails in MN. I won't go afield without it anymore.

http://schafferarchery.com/bow-slings/

Dave

07-Jul-14
I use mine often. The last thing I need is an arrow falling out of my quiver and rubbing on my string while my bow is on my pack.

07-Jul-14
I carry a sling for really only one reason....crawling into bow range. After years of the awkward, slow crawl, pushing the bow forward...I finally tried slinging the bow across my back for that final effort. It was amazing how much faster, quieter, and efficient I could be. They aren't for every situation. But for big, wide open spaces with little cover, they sure come in handy.

07-Jul-14
I don't go hunting with out mine is a double spare arm.

08-Jul-14
geez, Back in my day a Bow Sling was a leather strap that went around you wrist and around bow handle. Kept one from gripping or torkqing bow. Used them on my recurve target bows while shooting field archery and Paa indoor/outdoor rounds.

08-Jul-14

GRoe's Link
I saw the Cambow made by Alpine Innovations at a show in Reno. I really like it and have been very happy with it. I have the link attached. You can get just the strap for the cams or you can get a string cover too. They also make a sight cover.

GR Heads Up Decoy

08-Jul-14
I use mine any time I Bowhunt turkeys. I don't have enough arms to carry my blind, decoys, and on the way back hopefully a turkey. Elk hunting I seldom use it. Most of the time I am camped close to elk, and as soon as it gets light enough to see, things can happen fast so the last thing I want to do is have to take my bow out of the sling. I think that they are great but the truth is that I just don't use mine except for certain scenarios

08-Jul-14
I've used the Cheater bow sling for elk hunting for at least 15 years. What I like about it is that you have control of the bow at all times and you never take it off . You shoot with it on and it helps hold your sleeve out of the way. I've shot several elk with it on. You can get them at Lancaster Archery for about 22.00.

08-Jul-14
I've used the cheater bow sling. It was very good on an elk hunt. Shooting with it is easy, and it does stabilize your hold at the shot. Carrying the bow with it is okay. It gives you another option for carrying bow other than switching it from hand to hand.

08-Jul-14
What do you do if your bow is in a sling and you jump game or you see them seeing you and you are in range and have a few seconds before the game bolts? By the time you get er ready you have lost. I have never used a sling but at times I wish I had one when trekking through the woods carrying every hunting item I own. lol. On the other hand I have had several chances to fling an arrow when I jumped a deer. Only 2 out of the 6 I shot but if it was in a sling I do not think I would have stood a chance to even get an arrow nocked.

How long does it take to get it off and out of those slings?

The thing that annoys me about carrying my bow in hand is I always wear into (fray) the string where my sleeve rubs on it. I hold it by the handle but the way it is designed your arm is on the outside of the string causing the string to rub against the inside of your sleeve. By the start of a second season that area of my string looks terrible and I contemplate buying a new string. I wax the hell out of it but it makes no difference.

How do you guys w/o a sling keep your string protected when walking with your bow in hand or do you have the same issue? My buddy carries his down by his side by holding onto the string itself near the kisser button and he seems to always have kisser button issues. I just started turning my bow so the quiver faces away from me and I place it on my shoulder. It rolls a little to the side and the quiver (actually the field tipped arrow) keeps it upright. The stabilizer rest on the back of my shoulder blade and kind of braces it there. It is likely not a good idea because I have hit a snag and nearly dropped my bow. On a long haul carrying that bow in hand gets old though!

09-Jul-14
"How do you guys w/o a sling keep your string protected when walking with your bow in hand..."

I carry mine by the grip, string down in my bow arm and string up when switching hands, in open country. The string never rubs on anything. I also carry it vertically in front of me sometimes holding the grip in my bow hand and supporting the lower cam in the other, especially in deep grass. I am very conscious of protecting the bow/string at all times, and would never carry it by the string. My string still looks like new after 3 years.

09-Jul-14
I want to be able to strike and strike quick....5 seconds form spotting game to an arrow in the air.

09-Jul-14
I never use my sling when I am actively hunting. They are great for carrying the bow when riding a horse or on the back of a quad, or packing into camp.

09-Jul-14
TBM,

Unless you have an arrow already nocked you cannot pull an arrow from your quiver, nock it, draw it and aim properly in 5 seconds with ANY effectiveness!

Zeik,

My bow has that offset loop off the riser that sits behind the rest. I hold it by that. If I hold it by that loop with the string down then the string is close to my leg and rubs. If I turn it and have the string up it rubs on my wrist sleeve. Both give me the same issue. If I hold it by the grip with the string down it is even more uncomfortable to carry. I am assuming that loop off the riser was designed to be used to also carry to bow? Do they make a string protector for these kinds of issues?

09-Jul-14
"...offset loop off the riser that sits behind the rest."

That sounds like a Hoyt. If so that's what I currently shoot. Regardless, I hold mine by the grip, string down when in my bow hand. It only takes a bit of wrist turn to keep the string away from my leg, (and I use a bow quiver which tends to make it hang with the string toward my leg). Really, there is no reason to hold anything but the grip for carrying a bow I'm most situations.

However, everyone is different. My wife isn't comfortable carrying her bow the way I do. She cradles her bow somehow with the cam/stabilizer (not sure) resting on her pack belt. And her string shows it. I showed her the sling photo Paul posted to see if she might prefer that. She thought it looked like a PIA to use. I agree.

09-Jul-14
When I'm elk hunting I have one of those nylon covered metal bow hangers on my daypack belt. I rest the grip in the hanger and it allows me to be hands free while glassing. I can have it in the holder while hiking and it requires only one hand to steady the bow while walking. The weight of the bow is supported by the belt and not my arm. It is very convenient and I can have my bow out and ready for a shot just as quick as if it was in my hand.

09-Jul-14
Actually the sling I did show is not a PIA to use. I was VERY sure that is met my qualifications in this order..

1. easy to detach. I carry the bow and attached quiver with the quiver on the inside (next to hip) facing forward, and handle down. I am a right hand shooter. The loop on the end of the sling allows the sling to be detached in two seconds. Important that the loop is on the top cam. By carrying it this way, allows one to detach the sling, add an arrow, and be ready to shoot within 5 seconds. A little practice convinced me this was a good sling.

In twenty fives years of hunting deer, elk, etc, I have only had one situation where I surprised an animal and walk up on it.

2. protects the cams, string. Allows me to attach it to my back pack when I am climbing or hiking in.

3. allows me to rest my bow arm and use my hands, arms for other tasks while hiking, using binoculars, trekking poles.

4. When the bow's ATA were longer and the cams were different. I made a sling using nylon webbing with loops at the ends that fitted over and under the cams. Many of the new bows have different configurations that do not allow this. That sling was so simple and easily to detach.

5. I do not use the sling all of the time, the majority of the time is when I am moving to location to location, or elk spot to spot.

To sling to not to sling, that is the question. To each their own.

My best, Paul

09-Jul-14
Get a bow sling that protects your string, kisser button, and peep sight. And use it. If you don't you'll be sorry.

First elk hunting trip I ever took, I used a sling. First evening of hunting, I called in a 5 by 5 that came in silent and ended up catching me trying to get that bow off my shoulder. Remember, they aren't eastern whitetails. So he stood and stared. I stood frozen.

He finally went about his business looking for that cow he heard. I was able to get it un-slung from my shoulder, unsnapped from my string, nock and arrow and shoot him.

Next trip, I decided I didn't need it. By the end of day one, I had no kisser button, no peep tube, my string was frayed crazy. I ended up driving the two hours back to town the next morning and getting reset, instead of hunting. So buy it and use it. God Bless

09-Jul-14
I have never had an issue with my kisser button or peep sight on either compounds I have owned but I do have string fray between the kisser and peep.

Zeik,

You are correct. It is a Hoyt. I have the CRX 32 with the fuel cams. I love that bow. It is quiet and super forgiving. It was a huge step up all the way around compared to my old round cam PSE Elite with an overdraw. LOL. It had no peep sight either. I hate peep sights but I have learned to deal with it on my new bow. I hate them in low light because my eyes struggle now.

That loop handle is perfect for carrying the bow and much more comfortable but like I said by doing so I fray the string. I can carry it by the grip but I don't like to. The bow is not as comfy to carry as my old bow even though it is much lighter. With the quiver and 5 arrows on the bow it seems to want to tip into my leg when carrying it by the handle. At least for me anyway. I will learn to deal with it differently or replace my string every 2nd year i guess.

10-Jul-14
I have used them. but I prefer to tote mine by the string or grip.

I have a Hip Clip that I absolutely Love. when stopping to glass or if I need both hands - I just set the string in the clip on my waist strap of my pack.

I just don't like the extra weight, and the taking on and off of the bow sling.

I use a rancho safari pack and quiver so my quiver is on my back anyway.

11-Jul-14
I used one when I shot compound, basically ran into a cow one evening waking out, was my last day hunting and I had given up and was hauling arse back to the truck and ran smack dab into a cow, was able to get unslung and shoot her from twenty yards. Was really lucky she had her head down eating when I came in sight of her and wind was perfect too! I bought one designed for a recurve or longbow and it doesn't work near as well as the compound models.

13-Jul-14

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
This is the one I use I had a lady make them for me and I sold them in my Pro Shop.

13-Jul-14
when your hiking long way into hunting area in the dark in the morning and when your hiking a long way back to camp they are priceless, end of story.

• Sitka Gear