stick n string 11-Jul-14
TurkeyBowMaster 11-Jul-14
Bowfreak 11-Jul-14
Mule Power 11-Jul-14
LUNG$HOT 20-Jul-14
deerslayer 20-Jul-14
Surfbow 21-Jul-14
10-Jul-14
Oh yes I can...because I am traveling out west alone, I will have more room than most...enough room for some firewood and might consider getting a trailer so I can haul a big load. I wanted to do some research to see what the market is for firewood out west. If I get a big enough trailer I might couldbsupply most of the wood a home or business could for the year. If I did this I would also want to see about purchassing some alfalfa hay for the return trip. I could deliver in the Colorado, Montana, Wyoming. Idaho areas. This might help decide where I might go. Firewood would be red oak, or hickory... possibly some beach nut. All great burning wood that puts off good btu per ton.

10-Jul-14
Never a dull moment round here, eh TMB? Nice of you to offer something like this up. Good on you.

10-Jul-14
Well TBM if you get sidetracked on your journey and end up in Ne I will take some firewood;)

10-Jul-14
So many ways I can go from here. Travelling diagonally across the country hard...you can go over and up, up and over, or zig zag the whole way and it ends up being about the same. Nebraska is not out of the way...neither is Texas.

10-Jul-14
You could actually sell the hardwood firewood pretty quickly.

10-Jul-14
I doubt you'd make enough money to offset the extra gas pulling a heavy trailer. Firewood is not valuable as you think....but the Hay might help. Goodluck, Mike

10-Jul-14
Better check the state agricultural agencies along your route to see if you can import wood without a permit. There might also be inspections for insects, etc., to add to your cost.

Same goes for the hay.

You could get your trailer detained for a while if not within the regs. Could have to pay for a cleaning with insecticide at the very least, a misdemeanor conviction at the worst.

The good news, is that there are a lot of turkeys in jail.

10-Jul-14
Yep....I wouldn't do it.

The emerald ash borer had killed nearly every ash tree in Ohio....fast spread has been likely to the transportation of fire wood throughout the state.

10-Jul-14
yeah TBM, that is pretty highly regulated. Not a good plan.

10-Jul-14
Also, if transporting agricultural goods for commerce, ya better have a C.D.L. ( Commercial Drivers License ) if you are pulling any kind of trailer.

If not, and you get pulled, the I.C.C. ( Interstate Commerce Commision ) will just kill ya. Your vehicle and trailer will get towed, you will go straight to jail, you will not pass go, and you will not collect 200 dollars.

10-Jul-14
they would stop u and take yr rig and load of wood hit u with a fine ,,,

10-Jul-14
My bro used to work for PA forestry, i think forestry, anyway. Worked for state puttin up traps tryin to catch beetles. Called him the beetle wrangler. They r pretty serious about movin forewood. He kept bringin home "Burn it where u buy it" and "dont move firewood, it bugs me" magnets for everybodys cars. Emerald ash borer is a serious deal, tho. Would def check.

10-Jul-14
Yep, everybody out west is scared of tree bugs. They don't even like people bringing it from the mountains to the cities. With all the beetlekill we have a lifetime supply of free firewood, but hardwood is in shorter supply and nice to have

10-Jul-14
What is the price for a cord of wood ?

10-Jul-14
A guy from here is taking it to Jackson and getting over $200 for it. I don't remember if he was selling it by the ton or cord.

10-Jul-14
Great idea. I'd rent an 18 wheeler and laid it up.

10-Jul-14
Hay sells by the ton, wood by the cord. We have our own hay and wood. Sounds like a plan. I'm certain you'll get rich packing wood across the country at $5/gallon and selling it for 200/ cord when we can get it ourselves for free.

10-Jul-14

10-Jul-14

10-Jul-14
The passed a pot legal bill in Colorado and they worried about a beetle??? That must be some sorry stuff there selling!!!

10-Jul-14
"A guy from here is taking it to Jackson and getting over $200 for it. I don't remember if he was selling it by the ton or cord."

I'm not willing to pay that much for a cord of wood. Too expensive for my blood.

Tks

10-Jul-14
Does this remind anyone else of the Seinfeld where Kramer and Newman try to drive to MI to cash in a mail truck full of recycled cans?

10-Jul-14
Thanks, AndyJ, my keyboard is now full of beer!!!!!!

;^)

Maybe TBM can repaint some lines on the interstates along the way, reducing lanes but making the leftover lanes wider !

;^)

10-Jul-14
In CO we burn pine and stay warm by running out to grab another arm-load of wood every 20 minutes.

10-Jul-14
Haa AndyJ I remember that one!!!!!

I think the TMB or TBM got into the wild Turkey?!?!?!?!?

11-Jul-14
TMB, when you get out west and see mile after mile after mile of dead forest, millions of acres, you'll understand.

11-Jul-14
The passed a pot legal bill in Colorado and they worried about a beetle??? That must be some sorry stuff there selling!!!

11-Jul-14
It wont be worth it to bring wood with the gas prices. You'll find plenty of wood wherever you end up so long as you're not camping in a National Park.

11-Jul-14
Well he won't need a CDL if his truck and trailer combo is not rated over 26k. He will need the DOT numbers and all the compliances that go along with that. Log book, stops at weigh stations, insurance, etc. etc.

11-Jul-14
Was this thread a ploy from the start for TBM just to work in that colorado's hippy lettuce lacks spunk?

11-Jul-14
TBM I like your alfalfa idea. Without an elk there should be plenty of room in your truck for hay, maybe get a few more bales. This way the trip wouldn't be a total waste of time. :)

11-Jul-14
I can see the wheels are always turning....... Good luck with your plan

11-Jul-14
Or he could just build a trailer from firewood and tear it apart and sell it once he gets out there. The return trip would be a breeze, not having to pull a trailer! ;-)

11-Jul-14
Here's an idea if you're short on cash. Take the time you spend on bowsite and convert it to work time. In the next two months before season you could pay for your fuel for both 2014 and 2015

11-Jul-14
At first I though this thread was about you replacing Lebron...LOL

Are you on shipping wars or are you hunting???

Also, as others have said, check state regulations, there are big fines for bringing in firewood up here since the emerald ash borer is a big problem. Even within the state.

11-Jul-14
or for some next level thinking, design a herd Trojan elk out of hardwood for getting in close. If they don't work, you could sell them as yard ornaments lol

11-Jul-14
TBM,

I'd call Cracker Barrel for prospects there....convenient logistics it seems

11-Jul-14
TBM.

I wouldn't bother with bringing firewood. Those States mentioned have plenty of National Forests for residents to get a firewood cutting permit(s) and then fetch it themselves. You might consider bringing out some wood for wood carvers, furniture makers, bowers, etc. Montana is doing pretty good this year, so far, for alfalfa hay. The heat is starting, so it's starting to dry out. After all it is July. Though most of the alfalfa is produced on some type of irrigated land.

You will need that trailer to haul back that "world record bull", anyway. :) Good luck.

11-Jul-14
I'll take 2 cords!

11-Jul-14
please don't transport firewood. you could be spreading tree diseases

11-Jul-14
LOL RUT!!!!

11-Jul-14
Awful lotta acreage of farmland tween u and the elk out west that could use a good fertilizin. Why dont u load up, transport and sell some BS, if u can find any layin around ;)

11-Jul-14
Ok...thanks for the advise. Sounds like it's a bad idea both ways.

11-Jul-14
Lol. I just realized I am a firewood snob. Reading about you guys burning soft woods out west makes me feel important. I hope you guys are jealous of my hardwoods like I am of your elk and other western game. :)

11-Jul-14
Chainsaws take a lot less room pilgrim. I'm not sure if I'm more excited for my annual elk hunt or to hear the report from yours! You may want to consider pre-paid legal services. lol

20-Jul-14

LUNG$HOT's embedded Photo
LUNG$HOT's embedded Photo
Mule power- No way TBM owns a chain saw. One of these at best!

20-Jul-14
Montana is full. No elk, firewood, or anything else that would be of interest to you. I hear Co is great though......

21-Jul-14
Andy J nailed it!!!!

• Sitka Gear