BULELK1 13-Jul-14
Skipnoid 13-Jul-14
BULELK1 13-Jul-14
Skipnoid 14-Jul-14
BULELK1 14-Jul-14
11-Jul-14

BULELK1's Link
Good Morning All,

See my link above for remaining tags (elk & Muleys) and dates to purchase them.

Good luck, Robb

11-Jul-14
Long Utah Resident - Spending my $ in Colorado. OTC Elk Archery in CO is worth the spend. Utah is only concerned about created a 400 class bull. IMO go to CO.

11-Jul-14
Robb: Thanks as always!

11-Jul-14
wow alot of tags in some units. Very interesting. One of these days I will draw my LE deer tag in utah. Maybe next year I take you up Rob on the late front hunt.

11-Jul-14
Doesn't the UT OTC archery tag allow you to hunt bulls pretty much anywhere?

I'm asking because I drew a leftover WY PH tag yesterday and I'm going to do some elk hunting somewhere on my way either to or from AZ. I had crossed Utah off my list due to the dates I had planned, but as of yesterday, I am no longer limited (because my buddy didn't get his tag).

11-Jul-14
Whatever-----Skipnoid.....

'I drew a leftover WY PH tag '

So as in Africa--do you mean PH as in Professional Hunter?? booking? have fun and be safe!

Good luck, Robb

11-Jul-14
ya you can pretty much hunt anywhere with an archery tag. You might be limited to a spike or cow but its still hunting. I actually might try a spike unit for the first time this year.

Good luck

12-Jul-14
You must be messing with me Robb, right?

WY stands for Wyoming

PH stands for Prong Horn

If I could afford to go to Africa, I wouldn't be asking all these stupid questions in the first place and trying to "DIY" myself an affordable last-minute western hunt!

I do appreciate the info though!

12-Jul-14
HaHa!!

Got ya Skip!

For years I would type DYI instead of DIY !

You can come up route 89 from Az. to Wyo, thru Utah and hunt spike/cow almost all the way north as each side of the road is pretty much 1 LE Elk unit or another....

Good luck, Robb

12-Jul-14
I thought so! But it was very late and I was like: huh??? But you never know how something is meant or taken on the internet! Good one :-)

Anyway, It was suggested to me that I take a good look at the area around Hoop Lake. I just did that as best I could for the last hour or so to get a feel for the terrain, location along my route and what not. Can anyone tell me anything about the actual elk hunting?

Also, I think that the general season archery tag ("OTC ") would be good for ANY ELK (bull, spike, cow, calf)in that area, right? I'm getting that by reading p.18 of the reg's., and that the area is an any-bull unit.

12-Jul-14
Hoop lake is in one of the few OTC units in Utah that actually is ANY elk as mentioned above. It's on the North slope of the Uinta mts and from the few times I've hunted there the elk density is pretty low compared to other units and the area is huge so it can be hit or miss. Some people seem to be able to consistently get branched bulls out of there. The terrain can be as easy or as hard as you are willing to make it. It has everything from open meadows to 2,000+ foot canyons with heavy timber and dead fall.

12-Jul-14
Thanks Ben,

Sounds like it really might be a good place for me to start. Can you tell me anything about the Hoop Lake Campground? I assume that would make a good base of operations?

12-Jul-14
I don't think I'd base out of one of the campgrounds as you can just camp anywhere for free. The campground probably only has a hose bib, picnic table an outhouse and a bunch of noisy neighbors and that's the only difference, so I'd save the $16/day and then just get water there whenever you need to. staying more mobile I think would also be a good idea, because the unit is huge. You can literally park the truck and walk for 70 miles and never cross another road in the wilderness area if you want to.

12-Jul-14
I agree Ben .... I checked out the campground info on the NF page and that's pretty much how I pictured it. Not worth MY $16/day when I'm in a tent in the first place. Plus, I'm not going to be there except to sleep. If I had a camper it might be worth it, but that's N/A to me. I will check of course, but I assume you can camp/travel within 300 feet of any of the FS roads ... I believe that's a general USFS rule.

Why do I suddenly envision myself walking 70 miles with a gas can in my hand? ... think: Clark Griswald!

13-Jul-14
+1 ben...

The North Slope from Brownie Lake over to Hoop lake can be hit or miss for bow elk hunting!

I am more versed in the Brownie lake area though.

Good luck, Robb

13-Jul-14
"Hit" would be better! I found a Browne Lake near there ... that's got be it, right? Can you tell me any more about it?

13-Jul-14
Hey Skip--

If ya got the right Brownie lake it is just a 2 mile southeast of Sheep Creek lake---correct?

Good luck, Robb

14-Jul-14
H Robb, Roger that. Looks to be in the same neighborhood. Skip

14-Jul-14
I still strongly suggest!!

If you have LE elk points in Utah that ya hunt an LE elk unit--spike/cow, so you can get knowledge and experience in the unit you want to hunt big bulls with in....

Good luck, Robb

• Sitka Gear