elkhunter414 01-Aug-14
Destroyer350 01-Aug-14
jcneng 01-Aug-14
Tracker 01-Aug-14
DonVathome 02-Aug-14
TurkeyBowMaster 02-Aug-14
Monarchcx 02-Aug-14
12-Jul-14
I am very allergic to horses and would really love to do a drop camp hunt. I'm at a bike shop this morning and stumbled across a mountain bike that has a bow mount on it. Has anyone ever done a back country hunt using a bike instead of a horse? I know that scent would be an issue, but I'm talking about just using the bike to get base camp, cleaning up, and then hunting on foot for the week...

12-Jul-14
Mountain bikes are an outstanding way to get around, particularly on gated/decomissioned roads.

That said, the handlebars are the last place I would want my bow to be. Not only is it in a place where it could hit branches and trees, if you pile the bike up (even at low speed) you are putting your bow at significant risk of hitting rocks or you.

I would much prefer my bow be strapped on the back of my pack, with arrows very well secured. If it's an old road bed you can use a trailer and put your camp and food in that instead of having a heavy pack on your back.

12-Jul-14
Be careful with a load of meat. I am 200 and a 100 pound pack once blew a tire after a water crossing. Bummer to push a bike. Also melted the brakes off keeping slow going downhill. But man is it awesome. You cannot ride a bike in wilderness as it is considered mechanical. Good luck

12-Jul-14
If all else fails rent llamas, one that have been rented to hikers all summer long are best.. You can get in 6,7 or 8 miles in half a day not carrying anything on your back and walking.. And you can go more places than horses. llamas are easy to care for..

My 2 cents.... Ed

13-Jul-14
Check out the videos by " Born and raised outdoors" .com. they do what you are asking about and do it well. Saw there stuff for the first time at the " Full Draw " film tour. Good stuff by what seems to be a group of really good guys. Bob.

13-Jul-14
I used to ride a bit and could not use a bike in any of the areas I hunt. Too steep and way too good of a chance to get hurt in the spots that a bike would help.

If you have moderate terrain and a decent trail or old road bed they could make life a bit easier. I would still rather walk.

14-Jul-14
Second Bob's comment on watching "Born and Raised Outdoors"... These guys know how to get in the back country using 2 wheels... And some of the best hunting videos I've seen... If I was in better shape I would look into doing the same thing.

14-Jul-14
+1 Huntingbob..really nice guys too; have helped me with a whole bunch of elk hunting questions

14-Jul-14
I suspect one could send their stuff in on horses and walk/hike/bike in. Then when the game is down let the outfit pack it out for you. If you go in Montana the outfitters mostly use decker rigs and your bags can be plastic wrapped and wrapped in a manty. You will get virtually no horse allergen once the plastic is removed.

Good luck

17-Jul-14
You would need to train on some mountainous single track. The only problem is when it rains it will render the mountain bike useless in some soil types where the tires get gummed up. I love using mine in Arizona because I can cover a lot of ground silently without "hushing" the elk. I have my bow mounted on the back of my pack while riding. Get the mountain bike setup with tubeless tires and carry a backup tube in your saddlebag just in case. I've been on a lot of hunts in Wyoming and Colorado where the mountain bike would be a hinderance.

18-Jul-14
"I know that scent would be an issue"

What do you mean? You would sweat and stink a lot more hiking in. are you worried about the bike smell?

31-Jul-14
Depending on how steep your area is? I have used my MB with great success in AZ. Have ridden right up to all kinds of Elk, opts to heard of cows, Just like Jeramia Johnson, "An Elk don't know how many feet a horse has" Elk don't know humans on wheels! We sound like birds flying on a MB, compared to our footfalls! Also your bow on your handlebars seems safer than tied to your backpack, I have done both, much prefer attached to handlebars, for quick removal! More info, PM me!

31-Jul-14
I am interested in seeing how you guys mount your bows to the handle bars. On your back or on the bars, either could be bad in a fall. Please post some pics.

31-Jul-14
They make a bow rack that mounts beside the rear wheel on the drive side. Cogburn is the brand. It is an entire bike(way overpriced for what you get....but camo sells) but I believe you can buy the mount seperately.

31-Jul-14
Mountain bikes with a load are great when it's flat or downhill. Unless you're an avid mountain biker, prepare to be walking on the uphill stuff with a load. It's still faster overall, but if your trip in is all uphill on the way in, you're going to be walking and wondering why you're pushing a bike too, but the ride out is what'll make it worth it.

01-Aug-14
You can buy bow mounts for ATV "s handlebars, perfect fit for Bike's! Also I would rather push a bike uphill with Elk quatrers on it than on a packframe on my back, I have done both, they invented a wheel for a reason!

01-Aug-14
I used a mountain bike for turkey hunting once and it was great until I had to go uphill. It might have been better if it wasn't a 15 year old purple huffy that my wife used when she was younger but if you get a newer one that is made for the mountains it might not be too bad. I remember seeing a thread on here where guys used them and had the child trailer attached to the back.

01-Aug-14

jcneng's embedded Photo
jcneng's embedded Photo
All the boneless meat in the kid carrier!

01-Aug-14
I have hunted off of a bike and also off of an old Honda trail 90. They work but it's all about location, location, location.

02-Aug-14
biking with a heavy pack is risky (fall over). Bikes are great but a heavy load.....

I would pick hiking in vs. a bike in most scenarios. If for no other reason then bike = trail = hunters.

I biked in one year a couple times until it snowed. Going uphill on the way in was not really easier then hiking. Took about the same amount of time and effort. Coming out was a breeze and really fast but walking downhill is not a big deal so it just saved me a little time.

I would use a bike to cover a lot of ground in flat areas to locate elk. I found a looong trail once in CO OTC area, mostly flat. Using a bike would have been a great way to cover a ton of ground to find vocal elk.

That was the only place I have been it would have been worth it.

02-Aug-14
Someone really ought to make a trailir just for thus purpose. It would need to have the pressure activated braking system like some trailors have for downhill with big loads.

02-Aug-14
The bike, cart and pack would be too hard for where I go. I only have single track trails.

• Sitka Gear