Corn bore 15-Jul-14
AndyJ 16-Jul-14
SoDakSooner 16-Jul-14
AZBUGLER 16-Jul-14
BB 16-Jul-14
'Ike' 16-Jul-14
'Ike' (Phone) 04-Aug-14
12-Jul-14
What time of day to hunt a elk wallow ?? AM -pm ?

12-Jul-14
Middle of the day, I say.

12-Jul-14
Noon to mid afternoon.

12-Jul-14
Elk can come to wallow at any time, but I have had more wallow hits in the evening had at any other time. I have not had enough wallow encounters to make a definitive statement on the best time. I have seen use in the morning and mid day too. Most bulls coming to the wallow, where I am waiting, are shot before I see them wallow. Sometimes I can observe a wallow that is close to the one I am at, and must just watch. Sometimes I have left a wallow before noon and came back in the late afternoon to find it has been hit.

13-Jul-14
Morning going, evening coming...? Hit it before bed and after getting up....Just a guess!

13-Jul-14
Wallows are random in my experience. Morning and evening. More evening probably

13-Jul-14
I have had the most action at elk wallows around mid to late morning. as others noted though, it varies.

13-Jul-14
Thanks I killed a bull years ago @ 7:00AM that was all wet mud ??

13-Jul-14
My experience is they come at all times of the day. My trail camera always seem to show late morning or early afternoon.

13-Jul-14
Elk wallows turn on a day or two either way from the first of Sept. Elk will come to wallows to drink prior to that, but the act of wallowing is pretty much set around the 1st of Sept. from my experience. From that time on it just seems to get better.

Elk move around a lot, so wallows that are fresh might skip a few days, as the bull or bulls using it may have moved on their rounds and are wallowing at different wallows. In most cases they will be back, or other elk find and use them.

As far as time goes afternoon and early evenings are the best I think, but I don't discount mornings either.

This bull came in around 9 am one morning.  photo 26.jpg

Heres one that paid a visit about 8 am.  photo 42.jpg

These were late after noon or early evening visitors. My buddy Shane shot this one around 7 pm, then came and got me so I could take photos.  photo Shanesbull.jpg

This one was at about 6 pm  photo 22.jpg

Same bull doing his thing around 6 pm.  photo 13.jpg

This one was about 5 pm.  photo 1.jpg

And this one was about 7 pm as I recall.  photo 28.jpg

Have a great bow hunt. BB

13-Jul-14
Yeah, I think I'll pass on the Wallow stands...Dirty, stinky wet, nasty ol Bull...Then you got to clean him up! Yuk, no way...

NOT!!! So frick'n awesome...Can't wait!!!

13-Jul-14
They hit them when they are around them, anytime.

13-Jul-14
I watched a huge mature 350 class bull wallow at 20 yards at 7:00 A.M. on Sept 13th one year in Arizona when I was hunting on a cow tag. I think they will wallow most any time they feel like it.

14-Jul-14
Keeping this at the top, I am curious what others think.

I had always assumed that once they had scrapped their velvet they would start hitting them, but I don't have much experience sitting wallows.

15-Jul-14
From those of you who hunt wallows.... do you use portable tree stands, commercial ground blinds, or a make shift ground blind.

15-Jul-14
BB- I never get tired of seeing your photos but especially that last bull. That picture makes my palms sweat.

15-Jul-14

CurveBow's embedded Photo
CurveBow's embedded Photo
VARon - I have used a treestand over two nice muddy, recetly used wallows. Sat them over days, only to see them get clearer every day from non use.

In 2011, my son built a ground blind about 20 yards from a hammered wallow and killed this 6x6 bull at 7 yards at 10 AM!

I agree with others that the bulls wallow when they want to without much regularity in most/some cases...

>>>>-------->

15-Jul-14
We chased one(accidentally) off a wallow at about 10am one morning last season. We followed the "mud" trail, but never did catch him.

15-Jul-14
Hmm...tricky shot angle in that last picture of BB's...mebbe wait til he's more broadside like the fella in the previous picture?

15-Jul-14
Here's a dumb question, but I'm new at this stuff: Do cows enjoy a good wallowing too, or is it just a bull thing? My tag will be good for any elk ... and any elk that gives me a clear shot is going to get it! Maybe some day I'll be a big-bull-only type of guy, but for now I just want to get an elk.

15-Jul-14

Corn bore's embedded Photo
Don't know if they wallow but they come to drink and look around.

15-Jul-14

Don't know if they wallow but they come to drink and look around.

16-Jul-14
"Hmm...tricky shot angle in that last picture of BB's...mebbe wait til he's more broadside like the fella in the previous picture? "

I'm sure there's a shot in there somewhere, but I would say definitely wait for a better shot on that one.

16-Jul-14
He is a pig of a bull though....

16-Jul-14
As I recall BB passed on that bull. Do I have it right BB?

16-Jul-14
 photo 7.jpg

photo 19.jpg

photo 41.jpg

photo 33.jpg

photo 31.jpg

photo 8.jpg

photo 14.jpg

Why would anyone accuse me of teasing? Dang that's hard to take. Ha Ha

And yes I passed on the little guy just waiting for a big one. Ha Ha

Have a great bow hunt. BB

16-Jul-14
Bill, you mean the 'big one' up there with the Whale tail and huge fourths!?! :-)

Wouldn't be able to do it...

04-Aug-14
How early do you start seeing Bulls hit wallows? Late August, early Sept?

• Sitka Gear