Barty1970 15-Jul-14
#1BEAR 15-Jul-14
Bigdan 15-Jul-14
Whackmaster B 17-Jul-14
Ylpmin 17-Jul-14
Wyo_elk 17-Jul-14
13-Jul-14
As does everybody else.

But here is the question. What are the tricks for taking the herd bull when he's got satellite bulls working the edge of his herd? Do you just work in downwind hope luck is on your side. Work in close and try to act like a bull taking his cow? Any experiences with this.

Thanks Dan

13-Jul-14
I'd study BigDan's interview Pat did last year.

13-Jul-14
Bigdan gets as close as he can and bugles as loud as he can. That either works or sends the herd packing. And you have to have your challenge bugle down cold. Chuck Adams doesn't call at all, but shadows the herd until he gets a shot. Can't argue with the success of either.

I've killed them both ways but have had better luck with Chuck's strategy, or calling one away from the cows just as they go to bed.

13-Jul-14
I have had best luck staying quiet and not alerting elk to my presence.

Either ambush or shadow the herd.

Be willing to pass up shots. You can't kill the herd bull of you kill satellites

13-Jul-14
I totally agree with Jaq.

I've had wayyy better luck sneaking in than trying to challenge them. Those herd bulls are constantly circling the herd and if you can get close its just a matter of time until he gives you a shot.

Could be my challenge bugle needs work...don't know. Probably more to do with 1) many lead cows just want out of there when things get hairy, 2) I mostly hunt pressured elk in OTC units- if I'm in that close and challenge, the bull usually wants to see the bull doing the challenging.

Seems to me the challenge worked better many years ago....now not so good...maybe still fine in limited units with a high bull to cow ratio.

13-Jul-14
I know little about elk so I'll go after the Satellite:) Good Luck, hope you get your dream bull.

13-Jul-14
Hunt opening day and get them before they are with the cows and satellites. Fewer eyes watching means your odds improve exponentially. They are harder to find, but easier to kill.

13-Jul-14
First you better define a herd bull for your area.

There are some areas that a nice 5x6 is the herd bull and other areas that same 5x6 is a satellite bull

13-Jul-14
I prefer to let them get to their beds for the day then use a combination of raking a tree and bugle.

Also am slowly learning that water hole hunting works pretty darn well.

And when all else fails shadowing the herd works well also !!

13-Jul-14
Agree with Lou! I've taken them both ways also. I'm like Dan when it comes to bugling I get close.

13-Jul-14
I do not have near the experience as most of the guys that have posted or will post, but I have managed to get a couple herd bulls and I can usually find them and get close although I may not always get a shot.

In my experience, sneaking in has been the best bet. Challenge bugles do not tend to work well where I hunt. In fact, I have noticed that the herd bulls tend to take their cows and leave at the sound of a challenge bugle. Why fight and risk losing the cows when you can leave and keep them?

Also, keep in mind the herd bull you see is many times not the herd bull. I talked to Jaquomo about this once before and he called it the "little buddy" bull. It is a good description. The little buddy is the one you see kicking butts and running around keeping the herd in check. The herd bull probably lets the little buddy breed a few cows without as pay for his hard work, but the herd bull hangs back in the timber most of the time. If you want the real herd bull, try to watch the herd for a while. Keep in mind the herd bull is the meanest bull, but not necessarily the biggest.

+1 what Ermine said. You have to let the smaller ones walk if you want a big one. Most guys say they can do it, but few actually can.

13-Jul-14
I like to challenge them when his cows are bedded. Get in close cow call if he don't come bugle. 9-11 am

13-Jul-14
What time do they go to bed?

13-Jul-14
Dapper Dan you have to have the right kind of hair jelly...;)

13-Jul-14
Most of the bulls I kill are the heard bull. I let him bugle and stay quiet moving in on him. Unless I loose track of him moving in I will only bugle once. with my tube pointed away from me. When I get into his heard I nock and arrow. Then let out the loudest meanest bugle I have. Why would he come to a cow call he has many of them around him. But a bull in his heard is not acceptable. He's on you fast you need to be in his heard to have this work not 100 yds away. With in 50 is best. And it is best if he's up hill from you

13-Jul-14
Most bulls always want more cows. And if his are bedded he knows they won't leave. I agree on getting close

13-Jul-14
Cnelk makes a good point. There are some areas in western CO where the herd dynamics are messed up and a 2 1/2 year old five point us the herd bull. Killing them is a who is different deal than a 6 year old that's been around the block a couple times.

I've done Dan's strategy a number of times when the herd had several satellites making a lot of noise and the herd bull just turned and bugled at me at 50 yards.

13-Jul-14
You guys do it your way and I will do my way. I don't know how good you are with a bugle. If you not very good use a cow call I don't own one. I love it when I get told you can't bugle bulls there. That's what they told me about az I killed the 6th bull I called in opening day and he was the 6th bull I called in. And I shot my bull at 815 am.

13-Jul-14
Yep, size of the herd bull determines how they react to calling in my experience. Relatively small herd bulls tend to keep it toned down since they have no interest in attracting rivals. On the other hand, bigger bulls seem more apt to talk, but as Jaq points out, getting them to commit to you is an entirely different story.

Like others have said, some have better success with very aggressive calling, while others have had success by sneaking in without making a sound. Personally , I prefer to get in tight on a bull and hit a few mews, then let the bull tell me what I should do next. Mews have worked wonders for me, but I've also had to get ultra aggressive on a few occasions as well. People have a tendency to do what's worked for them in the past. Everyone has had differing results, so that's why there can be such a contrast in strategy. Keep in mind, most every tactic will work some of the time. No tactic will work all of the time.

13-Jul-14
This is how I kill the herd bull.

I wait for Dan, Bruce or Lou to call me and say let's go elk hunting.

Problem is I haven't got the call yet;)

13-Jul-14
I stood 20 yards from a herd bull for 2 hours last year. Watched his cows get up and walk away while he just laid there bugling and watched them go. Almost an hour later they came back, walked single file past him and on up the hill. I wouldn't limit myself regarding strategy. These Elk aren't buying DVD's and How To books.

13-Jul-14
I've had more success shadowing the herd (stealth mode, I dont want them to know I'm there) until I can work myself into a situation where I have a reasonable chance of success. This method has worked very well for me on herd bulls.

I've had less success bugling aggressively while in close. Two things usually happen , I've given away my position and they're gone.

Also, I'll know a herd bull when I see him. Just because a bull has a herd doesn't make him a herd bull.

13-Jul-14
BigDan, How do you get that far into the herds consistently? I guess maybe that's too general of a question but it's one thing to sneak within a 100 yards of a herd and quite another to then close in right amongst the cows and satellites.

Is it just a matter of moving slow and being quiet? Any tips on your sneaking techniques? It's that last 100 yards that causes me lots of trouble.

13-Jul-14
I remember when a guy coming out of the high country on a 4 wheeler in 81 told me the hunting was tough and do NOT bugle. Elk do not come to bugle on public lands when the pressure is high. We had a 5x6 on the ground by way of bugle the following morning. Got winded by four more bulls the following days in that hunt but was coming on a string.

All of these guys are killers, put the entire playbook in your bag.

13-Jul-14
Depends entirely on the time of September you are hunting. All of the above work great during the peak of the rut and other times as well but I've found that early in Sept that herd bulls will often make smallish loops away from their cows to gather up other gals and are very susceptible to esterous calls at those times. If there isn't a cow cycling, I don't think they have a problem leaving the girls even with satellites around.

13-Jul-14
Wind is the biggest game changer. And moving snail pace.

13-Jul-14
And having those missing teeth to give the bugle that magical hissing overlay.. . :-p

13-Jul-14
This is a technique that has put a few pissed off bulls just about in my lap. Find a really worked up bull. Get within about 100 yards and blow a few mew away from him. Get about twenty yards closer to him and blow the nastiest bugle you can at him. If he's in a rotten mood, be ready because every bull this has worked on his come in at a dead sprint. I doesn't work even close to every time (what does?) but when it does it is awesome!

The first day I took my wife elk hunting I put a 300 class bull within five yards of her. I used this technique. The bull covered 150 yards in about one second and bugled the whole way. It bugled the nastiest, snottiest, rankest bugle you can imagine right in her face, then it turned and blew out of there as fast as he came in.

13-Jul-14
The herd bull wants me!!!

14-Jul-14
Thanks for all the input. It is greatly appreciated. Happy Hunting to all!

Thanks Dan

14-Jul-14
Something else to think about. Sometime the "herd" bull is not the target bull. It goes against what we would think to be reality but sometimes the herd bull is the most aggressive and not always the biggest bull in the herd. I've seen a few puney herd bulls only to find a monster off by himself in the same area. My belief is that sometimes those truly outstanding bulls wait for the end of the season when the most cows are in heat to running and do the breeding.

14-Jul-14
I don't buy the "little buddy" theory. If he is breeding them they are his cows. Elk don't run brothels.

A herd bull may stand back in the timber from other fighting and bugling bulls for the sake of self preservation. This I have seen on many occasions. Many times there may be mixed herds, because there has to be a limit to the number of cows a bull can keep track of and breed, I suspect. Many times as herd dynamics are changing, one may see a bull with 20+ cows... but I am not sure he can hang on to them long???

14-Jul-14

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
My partner and I were fortunate (ok, unbelievably lucky) to have permission on an awesome elk spot after our BLM public land block became private. It was essentially studying and hunting undisturbed elk for the entire rut.

In almost every herd of any significance, there was a dominant bull and one or two subordinates that he tolerated throughout the rutting period. If other satellites came into the area, the subordinates generally did the chasing. Often they did the most bugling, sometimes sounding like the "bull of the woods". As AZBUGLER notes, usually the true herd bull was quieter and wandered more. Many, many times I've watched as the subordinate bred cows right in front of the dominant bull while he looked on.

In the evenings it was common for the subordinate bull to keep the cows in order when feeding, while the dominant bull roamed over into another drainage. Sometimes he would stay away for an hour or more before returning. If a hunter came upon this herd during that time, they'd mistakenly think the noisy, aggressive bull with the cows was the "herd" bull, when in fact the real herd bull was out checking the surrounding territory.

Some herds would have four or five satellites making a lot of noise - usually new guys roaming from herd to herd. Since we knew the herds, we were able to watch the dynamics between the dominant bull, the "little buddy" subordinates, and the interlopers as the rut progressed. There would sometimes be so much bugling going on that the herd bull would simply turn toward the new guys and roar at them, but he'd given up on challenging them. But the tolerated subordinate bull(s) would wear themselves out going back and forth. They were easy to call in with a close challenge bugle. The dominant bull, not so much.

This photo was taken on September 23rd. The herd had grown so large that the dominant bull tolerated three regular subordinate bulls to help keep things in line. You can only see part of the herd here. The subordinates would chase after other bulls trying to horn in, while the dominant bull wandered around and watched the proceedings. The younger bulls got plenty of action.

One evening I glassed as another large herd bull left his cows in a different drainage (he had one regular little buddy with their smaller herd), snuck in to the edge of this big herd silently, clipped out four cows, and pushed them up a narrow draw, over the ridge and back to his herd on the other side. The subordinate bulls were so busy with noisy satellites on the other side that neither they nor the "herd bull" noticed this big silent bull as he snuck in, stole the girls, and left. He was big enough and mean enough that he could have kicked any of the subordinates butts, maybe the bigger herd bull too, but he was happy with his herd on the other side, just wanted some new babes for the harem.

14-Jul-14
I agree w/ Dan. The herd bull isn't coming to cow calls once the rut has really kicked in - because he doesn't need to. Get close and scream like you're the biggest bull on the block. If a bull comes it will likely be him. And if you want to kill a big bull you have to be willing to pass on the small ones. That's the hardest part...

14-Jul-14
Lou,

That is pure gold. So much of it holds true for the area I've hunted over the last 15 years, it makes a lot of the things I've seen come clear.

Best of Luck, Jeff

14-Jul-14
Surprised nobody has pointed out that the big boys are particularly vulnerable just before they round up their cows. The transition from solitude to rut is the best window to call in a big bull with just aboit any elk sound. This always happens sometime between the opener and the 12 th of September where I hunt. Once the rut starts I'm a big fan of the sneaky Indian technique for the big guys. "Call and stalk" can also be deadly during peak rut.

14-Jul-14
The time of the month is everything as gil_wy mentioned. Also, as otcWill mentions, if you want a big bull be in the woods the first 10 days of Sept when they are picking up cows and don't have a big harem yet! It gets much harder after that. The challenge bugle can create some exciting memories but it has to be later in the month and the right elk. Just my $.02 worth!

14-Jul-14
I don't think one way is the only way - the guys like BigDan who have killed a lot of really big bulls know that.

Jaquomo: Do you think the reason the big bull let those subordinate bulls "breed" those cows was because they weren't in heat? I would assume a big bull doesn't care as much about a cow until she's actually in heat and then no one is allowed close to her.

14-Jul-14
Sage are you suggesting rape???

14-Jul-14
Sage im no elk expert but as with most animals I would assume a cow out of heat would not stand. I would suggest the reason the herd bull let the subordinates "breed" was because the herd bull just got his jollies off, had used up his reserves and needed a break. :)

14-Jul-14
Try everything... Just depends on the situation. Herd bulls are hard to kill for several reasons. Once they are cowed up they will rarely come to a cow call, but it can happen. Getting close can work, sometime blow everything up. One herd bull I took happened when I ran right into the middle of the herd. I scattered elk in all directions and then stood I there and cow called like crazy. The bull eventually came to round me up.

The best however is killing one early before he herds up. In my unit that sometimes can not happen as they are already with cows opening weekend.

14-Jul-14
Lou has some very valid points and witnessed himself through years of hunting. I think Lou and AZbugler have a good point. The bull "in the herd" isn't always the "herd" bull that is with cows or controls cows! To me the "herd" bull is the biggest most dominant bull in the area. That to me is the herd bull. So when a guy says I want to kill the herd bull....I picture the monarch on the Mtn or for that drainage. But that is just me. Someone else might consider a lesser bull the "herd" bull just because he is with cows.

It has been shown in research that sometimes the biggest bulls in the yard won't be with the herd. They let the little bulls run the cows and when they want a piece of ass they go in and get it.

Some bulls have been know to only go in and be with cows during the night. Spend the rest of the time off alone.

I killed a big bull who was doing the same thing. I ambushed him as he was leaving his bed for the day.

I've witnessed a few time the biggest dominate bulls letting smaller bulls run the show and run the cows. But I knew who was the "herd" bull.

14-Jul-14
Sage, it's supply and demand. In a herd with 30-40 cows, say, almost all of them will come into heat for 24 hours during a 6-10 day period. If a herd bull tried to breed them all AND chase away every other bull 2 1/2 years old or older, he would die from exhaustion. So they've learned to tolerate a familiar younger, more energetic bull or two throughout the rut.

The other satellites bounce around from herd to herd, grabbing whatever opportunities are available.

BTW, mule deer in good-sized herds often exhibit this same behavior and tolerance of subordinate bucks during their rut.

I've essentially lived with relatively unhunted elk during the rut for over 30 years, studying individual herd bulls and herd dynamics, taking tons of photos, keeping logs. That this dominant-subordinate bull relationship is such a mystery to some is likely because most elk encounters are just that, for most hunters. Encounters where they either kill an elk or spook them off. They don't get the opportunity to watch how the relationships develop throughout the stages of the rut. I've been extraordinarily lucky to have had the opportunity to be among the elk for around 25 days in September each season for three decades. I'm now applying what I learned to a totally new area with much lower elk numbers (and fewer public land hunters).

In areas where there is lower elk density, it's not as common for a "dominant" bull to tolerate subordinates. Nor is it common in those areas to see very large herds during the rut. A single herd bull with a dozen cows has a manageable bunch. But when the count starts getting into the teens or more, behavior changes out of necessity.

14-Jul-14
Ermine makes it seem like the "herd" bull is pretty much what humans consider the best scoring bull. I suspect many would agree.

Jaquomo, What other criteria makes a bull in the timber the "herd" bull?

I guess I was confusing a single bull protecting the cows he possess as a "herd" bull. It appears as herds get bigger and bigger (later in the season I suspect) the dynamics change significantly.

Due to the variation in behavior of these different herds, are they both "herd" bulls.. or something different?

Maybe the old big bull in the timber likes self preservation more than protecting cows... Thus he is smart and lives to be old and big. Maybe that is what Ermine was getting at??

14-Jul-14
I see a lot of similarities between this discussion and discussions about turkey hunting. There can be so many contradictions that it would lead one to think that it really doesn't matter what you do. I have seen egos in these discussions where one thinks his way works everywhere when in fact few people have actually been everywhere so they really don't know. With turkeys the fact is that some things do work best and the trick is figuring out what that thing is. It can change from day to day according to the weather, time of day, mood of the animals, pressure, etc. Some only kill animals they call in...I fall into that category with turkeys because to me, that's the way turkeys are meant to be hunted. If one gets his kicks out of calling in game, that is what he is going to try most. If one only wants to make game die, he will use any tactic possible and we see some low life ways slipping into the mix. This is espicially true of bowhunters for Turkey. With elkslipping and sneaking is more acceptable. Make no mistake, one thing is best at any given moment and it can change in seconds....I bet this holds true for elk as well as turkeys.

14-Jul-14
Ermine is exactly right. I don't like to use the term "herd bull", but rather "dominant bull". Bigger isn't always more dominant.

One example - a friend got into a herd that had a very nice, mature 6 point bull running the show. That bull was very aggressive, running all over trying to chase the smaller bulls away, bugling his head off. From a scoring perspective Chris estimated it would be about a 320 bull - very respectable for our OTC unit. The bull he killed was shadowing the herd, totally silent, just wandering along quietly in the timber on the fringe. That bull was a massive, palmated 7x8 that grossed 371.

Meanwhile in the next drainage over, a pair of bookend 5x bulls controlled a herd of a dozen or so cows throughout the whole rut. So either one of those would have been considered the "herd bull" for that particular bunch of cows. I've killed some super-aggressive 5x bulls that were "herd bulls" for our OTC area. I've also killed some much bigger loner 6x bulls that weren't interested in all the drama, I guess, or they wandered away from "their" herd.

I posted this on another thread, but once I was studying a very nice 6x dominant bull for a few days, trying to figure out how to kill him without running him into the next unit. One night a new herd moved into a drainage over a mile away as the crow flies. The bull I was hunting heard all the bugling in the morning (they were so far away that I couldn't hear it until I got closer) left his cows when they went into the transition timber toward the bedding, and wandered silently all the way over to check out the new guys. I shadowed him the whole way but never had wind to ambush him, and he paid no attention to my calls except to look over. He was on a mission.

After he watched them silently as they filtered through a long park enroute to their bedding, he turned around and ambled all the way back to his herd in the bedding area. This was about September 15th. If I'd just happened upon him and killed him that morning, I might have thought he was some lone bull wandering around, instead of what he really was - which was a dominant herd bull checking out the strangers.

14-Jul-14
Who would shoot this bull thinking its a herd bull?

photo 4e9b3e872f9a6cacdda838983571a9c7_zps556a183c.jpg

14-Jul-14
Interesting observations and advise. Good thread!

14-Jul-14
I would - especially in the unit where you killed him!

14-Jul-14
His ears are drooping

14-Jul-14
I've seen what Jaq described in his first long post- multiple bulls in s herd and the dominant bull tolerates it- in limited draw units in NM, Az and Utah. I've never seen that in OTC Co pressured units. There is no doubt the bulls in OTC type units are more easily intimidated and less likely to confront you- not always but more likely to head for the hills, and i'm not so sure its the bull but the probably as much the cows doing that.

Sneaking in; Tough to sneak in if you have been calling to them constantly- they have been keeping track of your location and have you pegged.

I can think of a couple times that challenge bugle in close backfired on me, whether staying quiet would have worked- don't know. Seems like the more confident the dominant bull is [that he is the biggest and baddest!]- the better it would work.

15-Jul-14
Great stuff; more useful intel for my 'Big Book of Really Helpful Advice and Stuff from Lou and Dan'

15-Jul-14
I'm torn.... I love elk meat. My main goal every year is to go home with meat. BUT, I'd like some year to go home with a NICE rack too. It's a constant struggle in my head every day I'm in the mountains...do I go for the raghorn or cow or should I try for the big boy... It's endless....

15-Jul-14
Bear any elk is a trophy with a bow. I love the meat but I do like to look at the horns on the wall. This year I have 2 elk tags in pocket. I will know if I will pocket another tag next week.

17-Jul-14
Herd bull or the big daddy of the mountain? Sometimes the herd bull is not the biggest, just the most physically superior and vocal one. He can be a big 5 and be the herd bull, while the big 6 lurks around waiting for the ladies to wonder off. The big bulls are like old beef bulls, let the young ones run while the big guy walks and collects his harem. Many times they are silent so watch and observe.

17-Jul-14
Get in close, stomp off one of his cows, and rip a big nasty bugle.....

17-Jul-14

Bigdan,

Questions for you.

Above you said most of the bull you kill are herd bulls. From reading posts on here you have had some of the absolute best tags in the west ( Nevada- Southwest Desert in Utah- Arizona- Bighorns in Wyoming, and breaks tags in Montana).

Why have you not taken more bulls over 350? Do you generally shoot the first nice bull you get a crack at or have you just not held out for the really big ones?

• Sitka Gear