Tom 14-Jul-14
Lost Arra 15-Jul-14
Ridge Rock 15-Jul-14
Mule Power 15-Jul-14
sticksender 15-Jul-14
Skipnoid 15-Jul-14
Skipnoid 16-Jul-14
14-Jul-14
bought a map from forest service, its ok but 1 inch = a mile. where can I get a map that 1/4 mile to the inch or less? Older eyes need a little help. Map would be in NM. Have a apple computer and am struggling with using it so downloading things can be somewhat of a challenge.

15-Jul-14
mytopo.com

you can determine specific location, scale, size of map

terrific customer service too

15-Jul-14
I take topo maps to a print shop & have copies enlarged.

15-Jul-14
Yep.. mytopo.com

15-Jul-14
The Forest Service and BLM maps are OK for getting the grand overview of your hunting area. For better detail you can get USGS 7.5 MOA Quadrangle maps (Quads for short). These can be had digitally for free, and you can view them as overlays on Google Earth to narrow down the map names that you need. Then if you have a larger format printer, you could make your own paper maps. I use a 13x19 printer, and I can print a Quad in full scale in two pieces. Or you can order printed Quad maps from various sources. The main drawback for these maps is that they don't show land ownership.

The MyTopo hunting unit maps are pretty decent. You can view them in near-full size digitally at their website for free. You can also save the jpg file for each map off their site, and then print the map if you have a big enough printer. But the detail is not quite as good as if you buy the printed maps from them for $35.00 each. In general I find their printed maps a little awkward to read in that they don't have enough print contrast for my liking.

My favorite paper maps are the NatGeo Trails Illustrated. They have fairly good coverage in Colorado & Utah, some in Arizona, but unfortunately just a few areas in New Mexico.

15-Jul-14
I found a local print shop in town here that is a USGS dealer. They printed me some out-of-state 7.5 min quads. I just gave them the map names which I got from the USGS website. Google USGS store. Or copy and paste this into your browser:

http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/usgs/maplocator/(ctype=areaDetails&xcm=r3standardpitrex_prd&carea=%24ROOT&layout=6_1_61_48&uiarea=2)/.do

You can order them from there as well.

Side note: I just got curious and checked: the scale is 1:24,000 (of course) which is approximately 2-5/8" = 1mi (according to my Stanley tape measure!). It's not quite 1/4 mi to an inch, but it's getting close!

If your not really a computer guy who can print at whatever scale you tell it to then it might be your best bet. And get this: I had them the next day AND they were only $9.50 each LAMINATED! Two full size 7.5 min USGS color maps, laminated for less than 20 bucks??? SOLD!!! They're waterproof, mudproof, riproof and you can mark them all up with different color Sharpie pens, which doesn't come off under normal conditions. If you DO want to remove the Sharpie marks a little rubbing alcohol will do it and it doesn't hurt the plastic at all.

I just called today and ordered two more as I decided not to hunt in the first spot after all (well, I'm almost decided) ... They should be ready for pickup tomorrow.

My Dad got me started using 7.5's when I was a kid. It's all that there was available. I'm 50 now, and although there are certainly better things out there now, they are still my preference.

16-Jul-14
Also FYI: Wherever you get them, Staples will laminate your paper maps for less than 10 bucks each. The quad size ones anyway.

• Sitka Gear