Nathan M 16-Jul-14
TurkeyBowMaster 16-Jul-14
txhunter58 16-Jul-14
Nathan M 16-Jul-14
Gaur 17-Jul-14
txhunter58 17-Jul-14
Nathan M 17-Jul-14
16-Jul-14
Hey everyone! I'm a 17 year old high school student from California. I was fortunate enough to draw both an Elk and Mule Deer bow hunt this year in Colorado. This will be my first hunt for both species, and my first hunt out of the state. I have only been bowhunting once for blacktail deer and I am still very novice. My Mule Deer hunt is in Colorado Unit 53, and my Elk hunt is in Colorado Unit 54. I don't need a large bull or buck, but would love to get any representative animal. If anyone has any information on these units or tips for hunting the area that would be extremely helpful. Thanks!

16-Jul-14
Nathan, I hunt elk in 54. It is a very steep unit. Have you looked at any maps? There are a few diffrent areas you can access through for the west elk wilderness.

16-Jul-14
I have looked at a few maps but very briefly. As of right now my plan is to avoid hunting near Gunnison. Possibly hunt the Southwest portion of the unit or the Northwest.

16-Jul-14
Good Luck Nathan! I am pretty sure you will get some very good information from someone who knows the area well. Some of the most experienced archery elk and deer hunters that live frequent here regularly. That's what is great about the Bowsite!

16-Jul-14
Good luck!

16-Jul-14
Going by yourself? With a group? Anyone who has hunted in the area before? How are you getting time off from school to bowhunt? Being drawn for two different units is going to be problematic unless you have at least 2 weeks to hunt, and even then it would be a stretch.

16-Jul-14
txhunter58,

I will be going with my dad and hopefully my uncle. My uncle is a very experienced hunter but unfortunately, he is not familiar with either one of the units. As of right now, I'm thinking of just going for either an elk or a mule deer. I'm not sure which one yet, but I'm leaning towards elk. I have one 9 day window when I can go, and another 7 day window near the end of the season where I could go. However, I will be driving from Northern California so drive time is included in those time-frames.

17-Jul-14
I've looked at both of those units quite a bit and talked to people about it before my elk hunt last year. I ended up in another unit. I'd hunt elk if I were you and if you happen to tag out you could cross north for a few days and try to fill your mule deer tag. Too bad they aren't for the same unit. I've heard people say there are nice mulies in 54. Don't know what the rules would be though about carrying a mule deer back out through 54 if you shot one in 53?

Good luck.

17-Jul-14
Tough choice. Deer would be my first choice at the very beginning of the season (late August, early Sept). Many are still at or above timberline during that time. Elk would be my choice at the end of the season as they are more vocal then.

17-Jul-14
Gaur, Good point! I haven't even thought about carrying a killed animal from one unit into another unit. I would think that it would be legal but I will do some more research on it. If I were to kill an elk pretty quick, I would definitely spend the remainder of my time on getting a mule deer, or visa-versa.

txhunter58, Great tip! Thank you! I will definitely keep that in mind. I will also call the local biologist a little bit closer to the season and see what the deer and elk movements look like.

• Sitka Gear