#1BEAR 18-Jul-14
Eagle_eye_Andy 18-Jul-14
Smtn10PT 18-Jul-14
HUNT MAN 18-Jul-14
bohunner 18-Jul-14
leo17 18-Jul-14
Huntcell 20-Jul-14
17-Jul-14
For otc diy hunt, what would be the best plan for for killing 2 bulls on the same trip. Which states...etc. I originally planed a cow/bull trip but now everybody is advising not getting a cow only tag so I switch to a bull/big bull plan. I would like an high odds first bull followed by a big bull otc unit. I will not want to purchases the second tag until I punch the first.

17-Jul-14
I believe for YOU that would be a great idea!!!

17-Jul-14
I really think you would be better off buying a tag in CO. Its closer to BAMA and lots of OTC units.

Since you have NEVER been on a hunt like this just go and enjoy the mountains and try like hell to kill a elk.

A dead elk on the ground will be a huge eye opener for you. Good luck. HUNT

17-Jul-14
The work starts if/when you get 1 down. Baby steps TBM, baby steps....

17-Jul-14
I would go to Colorado OTC either sex and just focus on 1 elk with your limited vacation. You could start out cow/spike in Utah with an OTC tag in LE unit. Kill the first elk you see then finish out in CO OTC. 2 elk of any sex on one ten day trip would be a pretty big feat, doable but not highly likely.

17-Jul-14
Stop telling him to come to Colorado.

17-Jul-14
Agree.

A bull on the ground is better than two in the field. If you've never archery elk hunted before, odds are you're not going to get one. But, it's still fun as hell trying.

First things first . . . get one down and packed out; then decide from that point what you want and/or have time to do.

Best of luck. Please let us know how you did or didn't do this season.

17-Jul-14
Whats a matter Dink. Scared TBM is going to take the title of CO sexiest bowhunter away from you:) HUNT

17-Jul-14
As has already been said. You need to shoot the first one before you can shoot a second one. Wait until you get the first one back to the truck before you even think about a second elk -which will have to be a cow.

Getting two bulls would also require you to hunt two different states. I don't know of any states that allow you to shoot two bulls in one season.

17-Jul-14
Dink, if Steve could swing by the pot shop on the way to the woods maybe he could truly reach that next level thinking he's looking for. Maybe TBM should get his ssdbs(single season double bull slam) in Washington and Colorado.

17-Jul-14
I think that is an awesome plan TBM. Just go to Idaho OTC and kill the first bull. Figure 1 day to hike in and kill your bull then pack out the next day with the full bull and your gear in one trip.

Plan 1 day to butcher and drive to Co. kill a 350 class and pack out. Should not take more than a long weekend plus drive time.

Its just that easy.

17-Jul-14
The best morning we ever had was 2 buddies and I shot 3 elk. 2 bulls and 1 cow. All the fun happened in an 1 1/2 hours.

It wasnt any fun after that getting them out.

17-Jul-14
God laughs at the plans we make! ;-) Just saying.......

17-Jul-14
Instead of trying for two bulls, which is pretty unrealistic for a newbie on a limited budget with limited time, try this:

Get an OTC bull tag and an additional cow tag. Call in the bull and cow together. Wait until they line up right and shoot through the cow (thinner) and into the bull. Kill two with one shot. Probably never been done before in modern times.

Should be no problem with that monster-killing outfit you shoot. And you'll be a legend for all time. Probably even get a Simmons hat or something for the feat!

17-Jul-14
Instead of trying for two bulls, which is pretty unrealistic for a newbie on a limited budget with limited time, try this:

Get an OTC bull tag and an additional cow tag. Call in the bull and cow together. Wait until they line up right and shoot through the cow (thinner) and into the bull. Kill two with one shot. Probably never been done before in modern times.

Should be no problem with that monster-killing outfit you shoot. And you'll be a legend for all time. Probably even get a Simmons hat or something for the feat!

17-Jul-14
TSSSDBDCFDS.

Two States Single Season Double Bull Double Cord Firewood Delivery Slam, the stuff all Bowsiters dream of, unless you're TBM then it's just HDYLMK!?

Im pull'n for you man, serious. Id love to see a semi-live TBM elkhunt!

17-Jul-14
Just focus on learning the game and terrain... Any elk taken on the first hunt is a bonus.

17-Jul-14
You guys don't understand who you're talking too....

17-Jul-14
Oh and let us know how well that turkey vest pouch works for hauling an elk quarter. If I find out I spent money on a high end back pack that I didn't need I am gonna be kicking myself!!!!

17-Jul-14
Dear Lord, I hope I don't hear banjo music motoring in on the access road this Season!!!

17-Jul-14
We really should all chip in and turn TBM's first elk hunt into a movie. I'm not exaggerating when I say it may be the best hunting video of all time. Sort of Swamp people meets Blair Witch Project meets Talladega Nights= instant classic!!!!!!!

17-Jul-14
"Dear Lord, I hope I don't hear banjo music motoring in on the access road this Season!!!"

-Stalk faster...I hear banjos.

17-Jul-14
I heard TBM had a small part in the movie Deliverance.

squeal boy!

17-Jul-14
I can't wait for TBM to come back home with an elk!

All you naysayers will be amazed...

17-Jul-14
Of course, you guys all know what's going to happen: TBM is going to park somewhere random on a forest road, walk 100 yards into the woods wearing his turkey vest and two left boots of different brands, give out a couple turkey yelps, and kill a nice bull with one of the five different brand/size arrows in his quiver.

And right down the road will be a camp of four Bowsiters who haven't seen an elk all week.

We'll all have to quit the elk forum after that....

17-Jul-14
Probably ham blast it and it will make it back to the truck before it drops!

10 foot pack out:)

17-Jul-14
Meet me in sw Montana after u pack out your CO bull. . .

17-Jul-14
+1 Andy J

I would pay to watch the movie.

17-Jul-14
I hope you're successful this year tbm. But there is a strange feeling that I have telling me that for some reason the trip isn't goint to happen...... prove me wrong......

17-Jul-14
Travel and setup/breakdown of camp: 2 days

Quartering and packing out an elk killed less than 3 miles from camp without an ATV: 1 day.

You're talking about 5-6ish days of very little hunt time for two bulls in 2 different states.

I've thought about the extra tag in one week trip myself. It's not worth it. Better to sit on your rump and enjoy the mountains and fish or sit on your elk carcass with a bear tag if you kill the elk early in your trip.

That said, I have two either sex tags this year. One in Wyoming, one in Idaho. I'm leaving on the night of the 8th and driving home on the 28th. I'll consider myself very lucky to be coming home with two elk.

17-Jul-14
"Of course, you guys all know what's going to happen: TBM is going to park somewhere random on a forest road, walk 100 yards into the woods wearing his turkey vest and two left boots of different brands, give out a couple turkey yelps, and kill a nice bull with one of the five different brand/size arrows in his quiver. And right down the road will be a camp of four Bowsiters who haven't seen an elk all week.

We'll all have to quit the elk forum after that...."

Yup!

17-Jul-14
Rumor has it Bigdan is going to help him out.

17-Jul-14
I just looked at the 2013 elk thread and compared it to the southern Turkey thread and said hey, I might ought to try for two bulls. There is some really big otc bulls killed. I can't hold out for one because I need meat. If I vet meat I will try for a big one. Far is the work...work ain't nothing for me. I been working all my life. It want take Mr long to have one parted out and in pillow cases.

17-Jul-14
Personally if I were half as good as you I'd try for 3 bulls.

17-Jul-14
Tbm, just when I start to think you're not a delusional nut job, you post something like this and totally redeem yourself.

17-Jul-14
On the other hand, I can see it happening. Like when an 8 year old catches a 50" musky on a worm and bobber with a zebco 33.

Nothing surprises me anymore.

17-Jul-14
go to idaho, where you can buy two bull tags.

17-Jul-14
I'm a southern boy. More southern than you in face TBM.

its not that elk are hard to kill. turkeys can be harder to kill than elk.

its the rocky freaking mountains they live in that will kill a mans will to hunt.

I hunt turkeys on a public land that 180,000 acres in ms.

I hunt elk in units that are 30 square miles, and you can walk for days after day - and hunt the same place every year and never see it all.

The mountains are big - they elk are few - and you want realize that until you get out there and your lips are cracked because you been sucking wind like a howling monkey @ 10,000'.

Good luck and kill a bigun.

17-Jul-14
Eagle eye, you got my vote for best comment on this one. So far.

17-Jul-14
TBM, you need to get bull tags for Wyoming and Colorado in adjacent units. You can straddle the state line and take a satellite bull and the herd bull as the herd passes from one state to the other. Should be pretty simple. Then you can deliver firewood and bale alfalfa the rest of the time.

Do you have a gopro you can mount on your hat?

17-Jul-14
Damn YOu guys are rough on old TBM. He's gotta feel like Private Pile after he got caught with that donut in his footlocker.

TBM I don't know what you can get done so I won't say. If the success of your hunt is based off of how many elk you can kill in a certain number of days I'm certain you will be missing out on the spiritual experience of the hunt. That my brother is what makes you need to go back again and again to revitalize your soul by being in those wonderful wild places with all those wonderful wild critters.

It's the SSS. SUPER SOUL SLAM!

17-Jul-14
Wow...Ted Nugent on Bowsite!!!

17-Jul-14
Like a bad dream...

17-Jul-14
I always love the first time a new hunter walks up to an elk and realizes how big they are.... To break down an elk can take a full day if you are by yourself and it dies in the wrong spot. Good luck moving a bull out of the brush or picking out of down timber or that little crack it rolled into.

Even with help breaking an elk down to pack will usually take over an hour...

17-Jul-14
I've walked up to a hundred of them and every time I realize how big they are. They seem to get bigger as I get older.....

17-Jul-14
Hay guys in 2005 I killed 3 bulls in 6 days and all of them made P&Y. After TBM gets his second bull He can drive to Montana Buy a unlimited bighorn tag Kill a Ram. He's TBM He never thinks about eating a tag. If I were him I would go out and buy a new freezer.

17-Jul-14
That's because you're shrinking Lou

17-Jul-14
Elk hunting is like masturbating. Once the shooting is done you have a real mess on your hands.

17-Jul-14
Go look at a big pony. Not a mini. That is almost how big a big bull is. When you pick up a big bulls head they just seem massive.

17-Jul-14
3 in 6 days is thick...counting packing and travel time the killing part must have been less than 24 hours of actual hunting time. Wonder what the dates of those kills were? Sounds like a Montana unlimited tag is tough.

17-Jul-14
Not yet, Ike. Out of curiosity I had my wife measure me and start a "shrink scale" like the inverse of what we had as kids. Still 6' 3". For now...

But I swear the global warming must be making the bulls heavier, or something.

17-Jul-14
Not for you TBM you could take are sheep guy with you OnlyGaveUpOnce. You could take a gun with you and fill your ram tag if you want to. Its not a bow only hunt.

18-Jul-14
The tags are unlimited but the quota is around 2

18-Jul-14
But most of them never are filled

18-Jul-14
Go straight to Washington, D.C. That's the only place in this country that a rookie can get BULL followed by MORE BULL!!!

18-Jul-14
Sethosu, hilarious!

bohunner nailed it! If I ever go on my first elk hunt a successfull trip in my mind will be taking a quick nap in the sun against a boulder under a pine tree next to a small stream, and getting startled awake by the sounds of elk! fugetaboutit!

18-Jul-14
I know they usually don't get filled, I have been watching them for the past few years, even had a friend of mine from Montana get one (tag not a ram) a few years back. He put in about 10 days and never saw a legal ram.

Every year I toy with the idea but for a non resident its a really stupid buy, but I want to hunt sheep while I can still really go. I also think its a wilderness unit so I could take an elk with a rifle starting mid September.

18-Jul-14
It depends on the unlimited unit. But most of the 500 units fill there quota . I was in one of those units last year for 21 days and saw sheep most ever day. But I didn't see ONE elk the whole time. HUNT

18-Jul-14
Wow...Ted Nugent on Bowsite!!!

Thanks!I like Ted 50% of the time all the time.

BTW-There isn't a single one of you on here that can say they didn't get a little emotional or spiritual feeling the first time they called in bull and took it down with a bow. If you didn't you are a zombie vampire!

18-Jul-14
I like your style TBM, 2 years ago I went on my first DIY hunt in an OTC unit in colorado, Everyone told me not to get a bear tag since i Should concentrate on a bull first.

Well I killed a nice 6x6 and a chocolate sow in 2 days. HYDYLMK

20-Jul-14
Don't think he meant six consecutive days Couple days hunting Nevada couple days for that monster Az unit 8 bull and couple days for Mt bulls. Bigdan spent more days traveling than hunting that year

• Sitka Gear