Bullwinkle 18-Jul-14
Beendare 18-Jul-14
jims 18-Jul-14
Backpack Hunter 19-Jul-14
Amoebus 19-Jul-14
butcherboy 19-Jul-14
IdyllwildArcher 19-Jul-14
17-Jul-14
My favorite/most comfortable daypack is an older all black Kifaru.

Is pack color (non-camo) a deal breaker for bow hunting elk? I wish the darn thing was brown or green so I would at least feel a little more "hidden".

17-Jul-14
I hunt with a Dana designs pack that is nowhere near camo. Actually it is 80's green and blue. My buddy has the same pack in red. We kill elk every year and have never had a shot over 30 yards. If you want I can find you the footage of me standing in the middle of an elk herd with the pack on when I shot a 320 bull. It is actually a really boring video but is good evidence that the pack color doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter, at all. If you like the pack, use it.

17-Jul-14
Makes no difference to the elk, just us hunters:)

17-Jul-14
My favorite hunting pack is a Gregory, and it's orange. I think the only color I'd stay away from is brown like a deer or elk so I don't get shot by some idiot if I'm out during rifle season...

17-Jul-14
I also have a Dana designs Bombpack, in orange. Many an elk has gotten a ride in it!

17-Jul-14
Only guys that have camo packs will be more likely to lose them when they drop them to make a stalk on a critter. I don't buy camo knives because when you set it down in the woods its hard to find. I try to make things as dummy proof as possible, cause Murphys law can really suck at times. Mike

17-Jul-14
Based on these replies, maybe I'll paint it orange!

17-Jul-14
Great Googlie-Mooglie. Camo will not hide you. It is not magic. You do not have to wear camo drawers or use camo toothpaste. A black pack will work just fine and won't spook a thing. Every see a black stump or log in the woods. The entire woods are not camo in brown and green and whatever.

Take a breath and ease up. I have killed a ton of deer in brown shorts, an off-white, no face mask or paint and wearing tennis shoes. Dang. think of all the animals at close range while wearing blaze orange.

17-Jul-14
Only if they're sneekin' up on you from behind.....

17-Jul-14
"You do not have to wear camo drawers or use camo toothpaste"

WHAT!?!-I've been brushing my teeth with camo face paint for nothing?

18-Jul-14
If you think you need it camoed, just pin some camo netting onto it.

18-Jul-14
The way I figure it, if they see my plain green McHale first- I'm doing thing wrong

18-Jul-14
If you are elk hunting open country with a pack that doesn't blend with the country..the elk may spook if you are hunting with a black and other non-camo packs. If you are hunting dark woods or thick brush it likely won't matter as much. I would take a guess that if you are hunting fairly open country that has lots of black bears a black pack would be a bad idea! I'm green-orange color blind and orange actually blends in pretty well for me but black stands out like a sore thumb in most terrain.

I use a different pack for hunting that I do for hauling camp/meat. I use camo 2200 to 2800 cu in daypacks for hunting and a 6,000+ cu in pack for packing large/bulky loads.

19-Jul-14
I have been successful for quite a few years with a non camo pack...did just get a deal on a camo one though.

19-Jul-14
I use an EMS pack for all my extended hunting. You should be fine.

The non-hunting packs are usually cheaper for the same quality - although the hunting packs are getting a lot better.

19-Jul-14
Camo doesn't matter. I try to use mostly drab colors like grey, brown, green, etc. My Kifaru T2 is foliage green and the elk didn't care one bit what color it was. In fact, I wasn't wearing any camo. Just a green plaid shirt and green cargo pants I bought at Wal-Mart.

19-Jul-14
I use a non-camo pack for meat and going in, but hunt with a camo fanny pack (Badlands).

First pack out is my and dad's bows with dad's backpack and a load of meat while he stays with the meat and starts a fire. I come back with poles and 2 backpacks.

• Sitka Gear