HuntEasy 19-Jul-14
oldgoat 19-Jul-14
HuntEasy 19-Jul-14
bentstick 19-Jul-14
HuntEasy 19-Jul-14
Don K 20-Jul-14
HuntEasy 20-Jul-14
18-Jul-14
I have this tag. We are hunting the third week of Sept. I am going semi-guided. My guides have been hunting the area for years. I hear the east side has less animals but less pressure. I have spoke to my guide many times but would like to hear from others. Sometimes a guided view can be different than a hunters.

Last year I had a 16 tag but didnt get to hunt due to the rain. Looking forward to getting back to NM. We will be supplying our own tent accomadations and food. Assuming we will just sent up camp next to a road somewhere fairly close to where we are hunting. Depending on how much the rut is in swing, herd bulls could likely be with their cows and a tall order to pull them away. What is a good strategy to hunt a herd bull in this unit/any unit that has cows? Bed down the cows and slip in close and bugle? Or just try and get in front of the herd undected and be silent?

I have never hunted this unit and would like to hear from others who have regarding the quality of the hunt and realistic expectations for trophy quality. Any other suggestions for this hunt would be appreciated. PM if needed. Thanks

19-Jul-14
Pretty tight lip'd! I can appreciate that... Looking for general info about hunting elk in 13, amount of animals, avg shooter class bull, hunting pressure, access etc.

19-Jul-14
I hunted there about 7 yrs ago mostly on east side, only one bull and 3 cows, went scouting the west side lot of hunters wetter there that year. The road forks at Datel, one goes NW the other West, there is a camp ground right outside of town and the road going west is the bounty. Rough Mountian behind camp ground,west, that had several good bulls in it that would come down to camp ground at night. Lots of Bears.

19-Jul-14
How did the hunters do on the west? If you were do to it again what side would you focus on? Were you hunting the archery or muzz? The season is only 6 days for 3rd archery which isn't much time to hunt. Pedal to the medal hunting.

19-Jul-14
I hunted there in 2012, lucked into one around 320 opening morning, sept 11 for my hunt. There were plenty of elk, but also saw lots of hunters. The area we hunted was along the reservation in a mix of public/private. The feds? cleared out part of the area due to a missile recovery one day. The other hunter with me in camp also got one around 320. We saw lots of smaller bulls, and a couple bigger. That part of the unit is like a checker board, a good GPS with up to date maps is a must. I'd like to go back one day. Good Luck!

19-Jul-14
Thanks. I'll be sure to get load the maps onto my GPS. I've got my mind made up on a 320+ but the elk may have a better idea. Bentstick, PM sent.

20-Jul-14
Was in that unit 3 years ago and was able to ride along on a flight scouting. Very large unit, seen some decent bulls and the terrain wasn't bad. If your going Semi-guided I would think you should be fine. When I was there it rained for 12 hours straight and the roads where really, really, REALLY bad.........

20-Jul-14
Thanks Don. After last year, we will anticipate plenty of moisture.

• Sitka Gear