Tom 20-Jul-14
Pop-r 20-Jul-14
Russell 20-Jul-14
AZ~Rich 20-Jul-14
Pop-r 20-Jul-14
oldgoat 20-Jul-14
HDE 20-Jul-14
20-Jul-14
Sights on bows may not magnify targets or project light. Thats what the rules say for NM archery. My question is are lighted sights legal? They do not "project" light.

20-Jul-14
That's kinda a dumb question sir. No offense intended whatsoever. It (the light) "project's" light onto your pin's or there would be no need to have it or want to use it.

20-Jul-14
Not so fast there Pop.

Yes they are allowed. NM is referring to lasers projecting aiming points.

I elk hunted in NM last year and had the same question. I called DNR with the same question.

It is a good question and its no time to ask if a game warden approaches while hunting.

20-Jul-14
Besides, In most circumstances with today's fiber optic sights, that light does not actually project onto the pins as it did with old style pins, but rather, the "light", whether ambient or from a small LED bulb, is carried down the individual fiber optic fibers to their ends which are heated to form a mushroomed tip that allows dissipation of the light (i.e., a glowing point).

So, it was not a dumb question at all.

Russell is right with "projection" in the regs referring to projection of a light on the target.

20-Jul-14
I stand corrected.

20-Jul-14
If my sights could cast a beam i'd be superman! They can cast a glare though! Used to be able to scare the hell out young sailors with my glare!

20-Jul-14
A game warden (now retired) tried to challenge the legality of lighted fiber optic sights a few years back right in good 'ol San Juan County, NM. The game warden lost as the judge interpreted it as laser sight vs. visual enhancing light.

• Sitka Gear