21-Jul-14
Hoochie Mama Rocks! haha

Good luck, Robb

21-Jul-14
Ask Bigdan! Haha!

21-Jul-14
Don't even let Dan see it! Mike

21-Jul-14
Most elk rut across the west rut at the same time every year. With the peak being around sept 20-25. Anytime in sept is a good time to be in the woods. Good luck. HUNT

21-Jul-14
The Hoochie Mama gets a bad rap, but truth is...it's not a bad call at all. (I wish I had invented it)

Best thing to do though is learn to use a diaphragm and not have to "use" a call when you really need to be holding still.

21-Jul-14
Mine has been sitting in the closet collecting dust for a while now. Just gave it to my 2 1/2 yr old son. He thinks it's great to make "elk sounds" with it.

21-Jul-14
redneck, I have had good success with the hoochie mama and would recommend it. there are a lot of variables to your question of how often you should be calling.

as for the rut, are you hunting the coast or further inland?

a good general rule for the peak of when herd dominance is being established is September 10th. i have experienced this from the high country of Colorado and new mexico, to the coast and cascade range of Oregon.

the peak of breeding is different then the peak of establishing herd dominance. bull to cow ratio and predation are two very important components to this.

individual experiences of both hunters and elk can and do vary.

21-Jul-14
Get two of them and when you get out into the woods about every ten seconds give a squeeze with both hands and it mite be good the pick up a third one keep in in your back pocket So when you set down on it goes off and you sound like a hole heard of elk in the elk game we call that a butt call.

21-Jul-14
I would leave the hoochie mama on the shelf. Buy a good open reed call instead. Also get some diaphragm's.

21-Jul-14
BS. The hoochie mama is quite productive when used appropriately for some intended targets. Consider your target and your methods. You only need two if you lose one.

21-Jul-14
You can do a lot more variety of calls plus have your hands free with diaphragms. It's pretty tough to change volume with a Hoochie. If elk are close the Hoochie is pretty darn loud and aggressive. If you are hunting call shy bulls they will likely take their cows and run the other direction!

21-Jul-14
The only time I've used one is when I'm mimicking herd talk early in the season, and will use it while calling w/ a mouth call to sound like two talking at the same time. I honestly seldom use it anymore because the sound is so distinctive.

21-Jul-14
The Hoochie Mama is a good, realistic call, however it does have one drawback. It sounds exactly the same every single time. I don't use it very often, except as a change-up to my diaphragm. I'll give 2 or 3 pushes in conjunction with my diaphragm to sound like several elk. I won't use it more than every few minutes, and once I get in close, I never use it. As stated, nothing is better than a hands-free diaphragm when things start getting exciting.

21-Jul-14
I have never been able to use diaphragm calls (as much as I would like to, they are superior calls for many reasons). My choice of cow call is the Abe&Son; can make a variety of different sounds with it as well as vary the volume. IMO a great second choice to diaphrams.

21-Jul-14
The hoochie mama make good sounds but should not be the only cow sound you should be making. I use 3 others and mix up the sounds. I use the others 2 - 3 time more than the hoochie mama. I keep a diaphragm in my mouth from the time I leave camp to when I return. I keep the 1 and 2 layered reed calls in my pocket that is easily accessed. I used to bugle quite alot but now mostly cow call. 8 - 10 cow calls and shut up for 10 minutes.

21-Jul-14
Its popular to hate the hoochie. Ive seen it work though. My first year hunting elk, I spotted a big bull in a meadow my very first evening out. The wind was right and I squeezed the hoochie. He ripped off a big bugle and started coming right at me. I screwed it up, but that bull liked that call. Still bothers me. Only big bull ive ever had a decent opportunity at. I think hoochies have a time and place. Just Dont over do it. Use sparingly.

If it works and they start coming, shut up and get ready to shoot him.

21-Jul-14
If you want to stampede a heard of elk on public land that's the call I'd use. Tie one on each heal with bellows down. Each time you step they will call. Years ago on opening morning in Oregon before sunrise I saw a heard of elk. Hit that hoochie mamma twice and they were gone. I lost that call and NEVER will get another.

21-Jul-14
i've tryed reeds and never got good at them so hands on is my game ill get the little mama and a bull call sound like a small herd i use to rifle hunt in oregon in washington there is a hunt that you can get a spike or a cow and for deer 3 pt or better in the same unit and time but it in nov snd dec do i dont now when to rut is on both big game

21-Jul-14
Never had a problem with mine calling elk in. Just have to know what you're doing I guess...

21-Jul-14
I've called in a number of elk with the "Wayne Carlton's Squeeze Me Elk Call" it's easier to operate while bowhunting because you can put it in your pocket and press the squeeze bulb with one finger instead of having to holdoit in your hand like the hoochie mama. Google it!

21-Jul-14
I've called in a few bulls and on cow with a hoochie. They aren't bad, but they are overused. I generally use a combination of a hoochie and mac daddy without the grunt tube for cow talking. It's a fine tool to have in the box, just not the one you want to go to every time.

21-Jul-14
I wouldn't call myself a fan but when I first started elk hunting I used it and I know of one 320 OTC bull who died at the hands of a hoochie.

21-Jul-14
I've talked to Dan on the phone and he's coached me through the basic and advanced training for the Hoochie...

I've now added two Hoochie's and a mini Hoochie to my calling tactics...They don't stand a chance now!

21-Jul-14
They're like a boomerang for me. Every time somebody gives me one, I give it away, then somebody else f I've me one as a well-intended gift.

Two problems with them- hunters squeak them at elk after they've spooked them. Education. And they make only one tone, over and over. Cow elk don't do that.

21-Jul-14
"Years ago on opening morning in Oregon before sunrise I saw a heard of elk. Hit that hoochie mamma twice and they were gone. I lost that call and NEVER will get another."

Too bad you're blaming the Hoochie Mama. I understand though, it's the easy out which most people embrace. The first question would be why "Hit that hoochie mamma twice" when you "saw a heard of elk."

You obviously do not know why but, you're certain it was the fault of the call.

Carry on........

FYI, heard = herd

21-Jul-14
learn to use a diaphragm so you won't sound like everyone else spooking the Elk.

21-Jul-14
I use several different calls but I sure wish I had a video of the morning I squeezed the Hootchie Mama call in NM a few years ago. All hell broke loose and a big 6x6 with his head up bugling came running out of the woods and across the meadow looking for the cow that just made that call...It worked that day.

22-Jul-14
Hoochie actually sound better than the convoluted cow calls some folks get into.

They think they are in the orchestra pit doing Beethoven or something. First sign is when they close their eyes to call..... =D

22-Jul-14
Elkhuntr I happened that particular year to go hunt with my son in the silvies. Everybody and there cousin had a hoochie mama in that area. Driving around on quads road hunting around Delentment lake. I've never seen so many road hunters. People blowing tose things from the road, it was a mess. The week we were there in that area out of over 100 hunters two elk were killed and one of them I shot. Having never hunted there I didn't realize what it was going to be like opening morning. Never used a call the rest of the time I was there except to stop the elk I shot.

22-Jul-14
I don't use one and these guys can knock them all they want but they have brought in many elk. If you can't use a diaphram this year then go for it. As in all calling be selective about your set ups. You can call elk in with it. Good luck.

• Sitka Gear