milnrick 23-Jul-14
Rayzor 23-Jul-14
Ylpmin 24-Jul-14
Nick Muche 24-Jul-14
greenmountain 24-Jul-14
Seminole 24-Jul-14
Outdoorsdude 25-Jul-14
22-Jul-14
So I need to figure out a good broad head for my wife to hunt elk with...

She is currently shooting around 50 pounds with a 100 grain head. Arrows are Carbon Impact hunter XLT 6000 8.2 grains per inch and about 26" long.

I am thinking a solid cut on contact 2 blade broad heads.

What would be a good option...

22-Jul-14
Good Trade! But how many heads you want?

22-Jul-14
It depends on the day... Some days a lot less than the others

22-Jul-14
If she is on the smaller side a big mechanical should put her down quick with an amazing blood trail, she probably wouldn't even make it out of the kitchen. If she is on the heftier side you would be better off sticking with a solid cut on contact design. Something that would punch through heavy bone, and pass through is what you want. With proper shot placement it should be a short trail to follow..

22-Jul-14
The gals I set up when I had my shop that killed elk all of them shot Bear Razorheads with out the bleeders.

22-Jul-14
Carbon Express F-15 will zip thru a bull and he'll bleed like a stuck pig. The dual bleeders work as advertised.

22-Jul-14

TREESTANDWOLF's MOBILE embedded Photo
TREESTANDWOLF's MOBILE embedded Photo

DRT by Dirtnapgear.

*lifetime warranty * 125 grains or 100 grains by removing the collar * Also available in single bevel * Reshatpenable

The heads fly very good.

Good luck and have fun!

22-Jul-14
wives are considered "thin skinned game" and any COC should work

22-Jul-14
Terminal T 100's. Three blade fixed, low profile and thick blades. Good luck! C

22-Jul-14
I set my daughter up w/ Magnus Stingers. A great cut on contact head from a company w/ great service.

22-Jul-14
My wife shoots a 45# Hoyt CE at 24.5" draw. With these lighter set-ups you need a heavier arrow, relatively speaking, without compromising speed too much. She is currently shooting unvented VPA 3 blade 125gr, on FMJ 500 shafts with a 20 grain outsert up front for more FOC. The specs are 421 gr. arrow weight (9.4 gr./#draw weight), 16.8 % FOC, at 199 fps.

This is what we have developed over the years. She used to shoot 100 gr heads (various brands), lighter arrows with less FOC. While that worked most of the time, we just had too many good hits that resulted in poor terminal performance, especially on larger critters like elk. We could improve penetration bit more by using a 2 blade, but I just like the wound channel of a 3-blade better, and the VPA is about the most ideal head available.

For the record, she has killed whitetail and mule deer, pronghorn, elk, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, caribou and turkeys.

22-Jul-14
I agree with much of what Ziek says above but I favor the NAP Thunderheads in 125 grain.

The penetration advantage of the two-blade over the three-blade is minimal when the three blades are thin and the angle is less severe, while the additional cut area and cut shape advantages to the three-blade are still there.

I've shot the TH's for many years and found them to be durable and reliable, and the blades are easily resharpened to an excellent edge using a Lansky or similar system and finish stropping with some polishing compound. I also touch up the points with a stone to assure the easiest entry possible through the hide. Both point and blade sharpness are good from the package, but both can and should be improved by hand to get the best results possible.

I think getting the best sharpness possible on blades of good quality is the most important factor in getting good blood trails and recovering the animals. IMO, the Thunderheads have the best total package combination for lower-KE hunters.

They have held up very well for me on heavy bone contact. Killed one young buck on an unexpected quick shot on the ground at ten yards, when my string hit my sleeve and sent the shot into the heaviest portion of the pelvic girdle. On cleaning him, I found that the head had penetrated the near side of the girdle completely, cut the femoral artery, then buried almost to the trailing edge of the blades in the far side of the bone.

22-Jul-14
I had my wife using Magnus Buzzcut s this year I'm switching her and me to single bevel grizzlies this year. I like the "S" cut wound channel a single bevel creates. Supposedly the owner of Magnus recommends the buzzcut for lower power setups and is his go to head for himself. For what it's worth!

22-Jul-14
I agree with Russ, The Thunderhead is a hard broadhead to beat, and has been proven for many years. You can get them in a 125, or 100 grain version. A friend of mine set his girl freind up with a hoyt bow and 2016 arrows and thunderhead 100's. She killed a cow elk at 25 yards with good penetration. Also killed hogs with that set up and hogs are a tough critter. If you are looking for a good cut on contact I would recommend the Magnus Stinger 2 blade. 100 or 125 grain. Both, are excellent broadheads. Good luck!

22-Jul-14
I had my wife using Magnus Buzzcut s this year I'm switching her and me to single bevel grizzlies this year. I like the "S" cut wound channel a single bevel creates. Supposedly the owner of Magnus recommends the buzzcut for lower power setups and is his go to head for himself. For what it's worth!

22-Jul-14
Yep. We both shot Thunderheads - back in the day. But they are not a COC BH. They don't even have a trocar point lined up with the blades. It's a pyramid tip. There are better choices today, especially for a lighter set-up.

22-Jul-14
A sharp VPA is the ticket. They even make one in pink!

22-Jul-14
A sharp VPA is the ticket. They even make one in pink!

22-Jul-14
Fuzzy...that's just plain sick, ...and I wish I'd have thought of it first!

Hard to beat a Magnus Stinger or Buzzcut. I've yet to see when they don't fly well from a bow, and you can not beat the guarantee.

If she flinches, and puts one into a rock...free broadhead.

Great company service, and easy to sharpen, too.

22-Jul-14
Boy, I'm amazed this thread stayed on track at all...

23-Jul-14
My wife has been using the 100 gr Slick Trick standard for the last two years and they seem to do the job.

23-Jul-14
here is our combo for the girls. Do not go to short on carbon shafts 25 inch is about it to keep the spine working. To much weight of the shaft hurts the performance on short draw lite poundage bows. Magnus or Zwicky broadheads in the 5/16 size mounted on one piece glue in broad head adaptors from 3Rivers archery these weigh 20 gr. Clean the shaft then Epoxy in the adaptor let dry overnite. Then mount the broadheads with epoxy and let dry . note some broadheads will not spin, try then first befor the epoxy. This is a very good combo for the girls,the very best for elk, with a short draw and lite poundage setup. Hope this helps.

23-Jul-14
COELKER

I think you're on the right track with arrow and broadhead selection. That said, here's what Millie (Lady Bowhunter)has for her arrow/broadhead set up: Victory "Pink Arrows" (spined at 45-65)cut 26.25 inches, with Montec 100 CS broadheads. Her bow is a Quest Bliss 26" and 50#.

I don't think your wife will have any problems with the set up you're planning to use. The key will be shot placement and having razor sharp broadheads on the business end of the arrow.

Good luck

23-Jul-14
I've been doing a lot of testing with light draw bows in the 40-50 range recently with our various heads and a pile of different arrows. I say forget the speed and go with a heavier 2 or 3 blade in the 125-150 range (150 is a sweet spot). Any of them will work on a perfect broadside behind the shoulder shot but hit that shoulder and you'll be glad for the extra weight. Add a footer and it will be more likely to punch through than break the shaft too.

If you choose 100s a heavier insert, half out or outsert help things too.

Our VPA Pink Line heads are available in 100, 125, and 150 3 Blade as well as 125 and 150gr 2 blade.

24-Jul-14
The slick trick 100s will do a great job for your wife.

24-Jul-14
My wife shoots Slick Tricks out of a 50lb bow and she has yet to lose an animal...sure wish I could say that.

24-Jul-14
I have to wonder. Assuming good arrow flight, why don't we all shoot cut on contact heads? Just a thought.

24-Jul-14
VPA or Magnus.

25-Jul-14
Another tip o' the hat to Buzzcut. The Mrs. here shoots 'em, I'm still working my way through all the Stingers I own, someday I'll be flinging Buzzcuts too.

• Sitka Gear