azarchery 27-Jul-14
bohunr 28-Jul-14
bohunr 28-Jul-14
Ollie 28-Jul-14
LINK 28-Jul-14
WYelkhunter 28-Jul-14
'Ike' 28-Jul-14
22-Jul-14
Their is going to be a full moon, when I am in Colorado. I have never really paid attention, if the full moon is a factor or not. What are your thoughts and/or experiences.

22-Jul-14
My understanding based purely on the THEORY...is that elk can do whatever they need and want to do by the light of the moon...BUT this means they often get restless around mid-day, which can be a good time to hunt close to where they've bedded

22-Jul-14

elkmtngear's Link
There have been quite a few threads on this...here's one (see link)

Best of luck, Jeff

22-Jul-14
I am going to find out. Drew a tag and thats just the way it is. Hunted last year during it and it was tough. But there were other issues going on also. So will find out this year. Just glad I drew a tag and am going.

22-Jul-14
yes, my observations in a full moon show deer movement mid day....not so much in early AM and late PM. 1000-1400, best times....

22-Jul-14
There are quite a few factors that can change things up in regard to moon phase. If it's hot and dry where you're hunting the elk likely will be out a lot more in the cool of the night. If it's cloudy and cool they will likely be more active than if hot and dry. If you are hunting high elevation they may be more active during hunting hours than if you are hunting low elevation. If you are hunting thick timber areas the elk may be tougher to find...if you are hunting open sage with few trees they will be more visible regardless of moon phase. Try to think about what you would do if you were a giant bull in the particular area you'll be hunting.

22-Jul-14
One

22-Jul-14
Good r Bad ?--Simple Solution--hunt all day-- your there, he's there, make every second count--

22-Jul-14
One Of the most posted topics here. With the old search function you could pop up enough enough to read on for hours.

I personally am hunting after the full moon phase this year to avoid it.

22-Jul-14
Does it really matter? With the limited time a person has to hunt, you have to be out there whenever you can. Don't listen to all the mumbo jumbo. Just hunt. see you on the tundra. Rory

22-Jul-14
Generally speaking, those that have been successful during a full moon will say it doesn't matter, those that haven't will say it does.

Temperature and moisture (or lack thereof) will effect elk activity FAR more than moon phase. As others have said, just go hunt. Heck, if I waited for every condition to be perfect, I'd never leave camp! ;-)

22-Jul-14
Well said wyobullshooter! I hunt OTC CO the opening weekend and then back the next week for 12 days regardless of the moon. I have actually taken my last two bulls during a full moon. One early morning and one at 6:30pm. I hunt all day. The bulls are moving and so am I. Find one and close the gap.

22-Jul-14
What wy said. Seems that first cold front that swings through near the rut is like flipping a switch.

Moon may or may not have a bit of effect, but certainly nothing like the temps and weather. But it is what it is.

22-Jul-14
I've been careful to observe elk on full moon hunts after reading all the comments and have not seen any difference on those hunts. The caveat is, those hunts were in better than average states/units. Lots of elk, decent temps and some moisture.

23-Jul-14
I don't think the bulls care about the moon, early season they are trying to prep for the hierarchy weather it be morning noon or night. As they get closer to the rut they only care about the Putang and where they can get it, so they gonna be running and gunning all the time.

You have to find them, regardless of time and figure out how to get the one you want. Chess with a changing board and changing pieces?!?!?

GL all !!!!

23-Jul-14
As others have stated, elk activity can be affected by many things including temps, precip, moon, etc.

The rut however, is unaffected by those things. The rut is driven by cows entering estrus. That is dictated by the species gestation period which doesn't change as dramatically. lol

If your hunt is during the rut (I'm assuming it is) then I suggest focusing your planning more on the rut and less on the inconsistent variables.

23-Jul-14
Does a full moon effect elk? Maybe, but so does a million other factors.

I've got lots of trail cam pics of elk herds and rutting bulls actively coming to water at 1:30 am in Sept. with a 1/4 moon that has already set (i.e. as pitch black as it could be), so my opinion is that the effect of no moon is NOT that they don't move around at night.

Plus, they've already shown that elk and deer can see into the ultra violet spectrum, meaning they can see way better than humans in the darkness. This is consistent with what I have experienced.

Lots of debate on the subject, but one thing is for sure, you can't kill one if you are not out hunting them. Good luck,

25-Jul-14
Go to www.usprimetimes.com and enter your hunt location to find out the best moon phase time of the day for the full moon week which I believe is the week of Sept 7. This might help in giving you an edge as far as what time during the day/ days would be the best during that full moon week. Some follow the so lunar tables, others do not. My grandfather was a firm believer in them as far as his fishing time went. As mentioned above, when one only has a week to get the job done, you just have to get out there no matter what, full moon or not.

25-Jul-14
I think this is 2 different conversations.

If the elk are in the rut moon doesn't really play as big a role.

If they aren't in the rut as many have said and written about. It can be very tough.

If you are in the later you will definitely feel it.

26-Jul-14
I always had my doubts about a full moon hurting hunting. That said I have been on some long trips with a full moon in the middle and it seemed to me I saw less game during the full moon. Noticeably less.

It does not affect my choice much though - and how I hunt.

26-Jul-14
Sage Buffalo + 1.

If not during rut, It could make a difference......other than that......would a full moon affect YOUR romance? I think not.....

26-Jul-14
My experience is that when there is a full moon the elk are more active at night. Because of that (and my ability to see a little better because of the moon) I will leave camp around 3am and find the elk hoping to be very near when light comes. Also, they will bed earlier and tend to move around some in early afternoon, maybe going to water.

27-Jul-14
I've never been able to tell it makes a difference. More elk activity at the fringes of the day regardless of he moon phase.

27-Jul-14
the only thing I've noticed is when sitting water in the evening, they will hang out on the fringes of the waterhole a couple hundred yards and wait for dark. been trapped in my treestand more then once trying to wait them out until the last second. only to have them come in after shooting light.

28-Jul-14
We never worry about the moon phase unless we need an excuse!

28-Jul-14
We never worry about the moon phase unless we need an excuse!

28-Jul-14
Perhaps it makes no difference if you still hunt bedding areas but it sure makes a difference hunting the edges of open parks in the evening. I had a hunt with a full moon right in the middle. Good elk activity coming into the parks about 15-30 minutes prior to dark. When the full moon hit, no elk in the park during shooting time. You could hear them making their way out of the dark timber but it was dark by the time they made it. After full moon passed, elk coming back into the park with shooting light. You can't kill an elk if you are not in the woods hunting. That said, if I only had one week to hunt I would give serious consideration to the moon phase when deciding which week to hunt.

28-Jul-14
Elk no doubt go to bed earlier on a full moon making it harder to get ahead of them. Adjust accordingly and all should be fine. Given the choice I would hunt after the full moon. Moon or not look at the bright side, a day of bad elk hunting beats a day on the couch. If that's the timeframe your hunting make the best of it.

28-Jul-14
We have seen no proof at all that the full moon changes the elk moving patterns in the areas we archery hunt.

28-Jul-14
I'll tell you in a month or so, as that's what I'll be chasing them in...A full moon!

Worried? Not really, as I've talked to Dan and Jaq, Bob and a few others and still feel I can get it done if I do 'my part'...

• Sitka Gear