Contributors to this thread:
bnt40 23-Jul-14
midwest 23-Jul-14
bnt40 23-Jul-14
IdyllwildArcher 24-Jul-14
BULELK1 24-Jul-14
bnt40 24-Jul-14
23-Jul-14
Given elk season is just around the corner I thought I would seek some advice from you all.

I am in the process of planning a future elk hunt. This year is out of the question for a hunt but next year I want to make it work. I do not have any preference points and I looked at the stats/draw odds etc on wgfd's website. My question is if I apply for a general elk tag and do not get drawn, can I pull out at the modify/withdraw date and get a cow/calf tag? But still get a preference point towards a future general tag?

Or, if I apply for a cow/calf tag to get some elk hunting experience will I get a preference point for a future general tag? I suspect not.

I have hunted mule deer in the area I plan to hunt so I am familiar with it. Although I would have to make a choice between four different units that I hunted.

I talked to a WGFD representative on a couple of other questions but did not ask about this. Any ideas? Thanks

23-Jul-14
Preference points do not apply for the reduced price cow/calf tags. It is a separate drawing. If you apply for the RP cow/calf tag and draw, you do not lose any points. If you do not draw, you do not GAIN any points.

You can buy a preference point right now thru the end of Sept. that will apply to next years drawing and you will have a very good chance at drawing a GEN tag. You can apply for the RP cow/calf tag at the same time. You may draw both.

23-Jul-14
Thanks for the information. That is what I will do.

24-Jul-14
You can also buy a left over cow tag when they go on sale in July if you don't draw.

24-Jul-14

BULELK1's Link
See my link above to purchase your points for all/any species.

Good luck, Robb

24-Jul-14
Thanks guys. I got an elk itch that needs scratching. Or maybe just a need to be hunting in the mountains again.

• Sitka Gear