blackwolf 13-Aug-14
midwest 15-Aug-14
Florida Mike 16-Aug-14
#1BEAR 16-Aug-14
midwest 16-Aug-14
24-Jul-14

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
As part of my physical training prep for hunting out west every year, I like to sign up for races and events throughout the year to keep me focused and motivated to train.

One of my events this year was a Tough Mudder that eight of us signed up for. We did a "mudder" group training session once or twice a week for months before the event along with our own individual workouts. We had a lot of fun training together and doing the mudder itself.

It was much tougher for some of the guys than others but we stayed together as a team and finished the thing in a little over 2 hours. It was 10-1/2 miles and 19 obstacles.

I know there are other Bowsiters that have talked about doing this or were signed up to do one and I just wondered what you thought of it.

25-Jul-14
I've been thinking about doing one for awhile with some buddies, but it never seems that any are close to E. TN and if they are, it's right in the middle of hunting season. Congrats on the finish.

25-Jul-14
I did one in Charlotte NC last year. Lots of fun. I was amazed at the positive energy all around me. I saw people helping each other , laughing, all smiles. Never saw a person being pushy or overly aggressive . Even the injured were smiling on the stretchers as the hauled them out. Might do another in 2015.

25-Jul-14

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Sadly, one of our teammates found out his mother had passed away when we were 10 min. from our campground the night before the event. Obviously, he had to return home so we took turns carrying his jersey through the mudder.

This is before...

25-Jul-14

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
This is after....we all poured a little of our finish beer on it, wrapped it up in a ziplock and took it back to him.

25-Jul-14
I was prepared to comment on this... Until I realized this was not in relation to the dysentery thread and having to stay close to the outhouse....

25-Jul-14
Mudder no, but doing a Spartan Race in a couple of weeks, same basic idea.

25-Jul-14
Did my second TM last weekend in Hudson, WI. It was fine. TM has it figured out how to make money and they have the coarse/obstacles so almost everyone can do it. The people that aren't in very good shape, probably really struggle with it. Others that are in good shape don't think it's much of a challange. Even on the back of the finisher shirts they have "The toughest event on the planet.", please......that is not even close to being the toughest event on the planet. Still a really fun time and I will do another one.

25-Jul-14

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
The last obstacle is "Shock Therapy". I figured it was going to be overhyped and the shocks would be just a mild buzz. I was wrong and the 3rd jolt knocked me off my feet, face down in the soupy mud!

This pic is of my buddy Kyle charging through like a running back. He lost his shoe halfway thru and is carrying it in his right hand.

25-Jul-14
OFFHNTN, I agree with everything you said. Wish I'd known you were there, that's where we were.

25-Jul-14
Congrats.

I agree with OFFHNTN. Nowhere NEAR the toughest event on the planet.

Ironman Wisconsin for me September 7th, Wyoming mountains September 11th.

25-Jul-14
Wow, Elkaddict! Have you done an Ironman before?

That would take some serious dedication and training. Are you doing the full Ironman?

25-Jul-14
Nick, this will be my first full. Timing kind of sucks because of my impending elk hunt a few days later, but circumstances made it feel like the right thing to do.

I had planned on doing Louisville on August 24th, which would have given me a 2 weeks of recovery before the elk hunt. My uncle died of cancer on June 14th..later that morning I switched to Wisconsin and signed up to race for a cancer charity. I'll hurt for the first week of the elk hunt, but I figure this way my partner can keep up, eh:)

I've done halves and lots of sprints/olympics, but this will be a new beast for me. I'm averaging over 300 miles a week on the bike and I'm feeling good...but I'm sure the course will beat me down....but I'll enjoy the heck out of it!

25-Jul-14
Dang, man, best of luck and let us know how you do!

25-Jul-14
Last year in Ohio. It was called Pittsburgh but wasn't in pa. I had a lot of fun. Went first go, first day. Drank a lot of their beer afterward!!

25-Jul-14

#1BEAR's embedded Photo
#1BEAR's embedded Photo
I love them! Like Midwest, I do 10K races and mud races to make my preparation "fun".

Haters, c'mon......

I qualified for the Warrior Dash World Championship in October and have signed up for the Worlds Toughest Mudder competition in November.

What I'm REALLY looking forward to is Elk Hunting in Colorado in September!!!!

Midwest, I was there when you were there!!!

25-Jul-14

#1BEAR's embedded Photo
#1BEAR's embedded Photo

25-Jul-14

#1BEAR's embedded Photo
#1BEAR's embedded Photo

25-Jul-14
For similar reasons noted by the OP, I've been doing these type of races for the past few years, as motivation to stay fit year round. Have done 2 Spartan Races this year (CO military sprint, 4 miles, and Utah Beast, 12+ miles) plus another 5k mud run and have warrior dash coming up in august. My first true half marathon is scheduled for 8/2 in Estes Park, CO (7K feet elevation - gasp!). May do a Spartan Super to complete a trifecta in Oct., or possibly a full marathon.

I've done 2 Tough Mudders in the past, and I am signed up for the CO tough mudder in September. It was supposed to be the week before I go elk hunting, but my plans have changed and elk hunting has moved up a week. Priorities. No TM for me this year :)

25-Jul-14
I guess I'd agree that Tough Mudder isn't that tough. But they say up front it is a Challenge, not a Race. It's not timed, with the only goal to finish, and you can walk it if you want. No penalty for not completing obstacles, you can go around them if you want. It's only as tough as you make it, and really is more about the camaraderie and finishing together (cool that the OP's team finished as a team and had their teammate there in spirit).

TMs obstacles can be a bit more mentally challenging than other races (ice bath, shock therapy, elevated water pit jump), but I think the Spartan Races are tougher. The obstacles are more physically demanding, albeit more conventional, and you get a 30 burpee penalty for each obstacle failure. and it is a Spartan RACE. it is indeed timed, and encourages that aspect of competition.

Both are great events, just depends on what kind of challenge you make of them.

25-Jul-14
Geeeezzzzzz Nick----

NO wonder when I share Wyo--Elk country pix with you---

You always state that they look Mild....and I thought ya ment the 35 night/65 day temps!!! haha

You Da Man Nick!

Good luck, Robb

25-Jul-14
Never mind, totally misread the title.....

Sounds like you folks had a great time and congrats on working for and finishing off a goal. That in itself is pretty cool.

Never heard of such a thing till bowsite... the things you learn here....

26-Jul-14
diggerson, I'm looking for a Spartan Race Beast for next year. Sounds a little more of what some of us are looking for.

#1BEAR, sounds like we should have had a Bowsite meet 'n greet! Since you were a Legionnaire, how was the big slide through the flames?

Robb, no doubt those mild little hills will still kick my ass!

26-Jul-14
Not if I got to put a # on my 4 head and get about 60 pounds of tattoos. I think I'll pass...and...stick to BOWHUNTING topics.

26-Jul-14
Yes, we need more "next level" BOWHUNTING threads on here like TBM's "Preparing Feet" thread. Thanks for keeping us on track, bud.

27-Jul-14
TBM- Fitness isn't an integral part of bowhunting when all you do is sit in a blind waiting for a bird with the brain size of a pea. (There are enough videos of Mossy Oak wearing bubbas to demonstrate that fact) But when a hunter is chasing the bugles of a full time elk with legs 3 feet long, fitness is an integral part of bowhunting.

27-Jul-14
TBM- Fitness isn't an integral part of bowhunting when all you do is sit in a blind waiting for a bird with the brain size of a pea. (There are enough videos of Mossy Oak wearing bubbas to demonstrate that fact) But when a hunter is chasing the bugles of a full time elk with legs 3 feet long, fitness is an integral part of bowhunting.

27-Jul-14
Not unusual at all for me to cover 5 or more miles carrying blind bow video equipment etc while Turkey hunting so being in shape is a plus with Turkey as well.

27-Jul-14
Z

The turkey has a brain the size of a pea. True.

So does the turkey you are trying to reason with.

27-Jul-14
midwest, Glad you had fun and found it rewarding. I still haven't committed to a Mudder and am glad after hearing you recount Shock Therapy. I would have wasted a registration fee. :)

What did you do for footwear and how did it work out?

27-Jul-14
Owl, Just wore an old pair of running shoes that were at the lawn mowing stage of their life. I tied them extra tight to the point they were actually starting to hurt my ankles in order to minimize the amount of sand migrating to the inside. They were sacrificed to the dumpster god when we got back to the campground.

28-Jul-14
That's pretty cool Nick. Nice job!

Not quite at that level myself yet, but if you ever need a team member, let me know.

Bill

28-Jul-14
Bill, Be thinking about Chicago, May 2015.

...and you are absolutely at that level...it seriously is not that hard, just fun.

28-Jul-14
I'm sure I can make that happen, lets plan it.

I'm doing a full marathon on June 6th in South Bend, IN

28-Jul-14
Awesome....I'll be in touch when we have full commitment from our team.

28-Jul-14
I just signed my 21 year old son up for one in October....my tough races are confined to bodys of water due to all the titanium and stainless steel in my leg.... but I am signed up for the 5K Tampa Bay Frogman swim in January and am shooting for the 24 mile Tampa Bay Marathon swim later in the spring.

The tough mudder looks fun....I hope you guys were able to raise some money for Wounded Warriors as that is what tough mudder is all about if you ask me.

28-Jul-14
Midwest ~ the slide was awesome. Had to wait a while to get on it, but had some great conversations with those around me in line. When you came off the end of the slide it felt like you had been shot out of a cannon! It was great, well worth the wait!

Next year we have to stay in touch and rally at the race. I plan on doing the course twice on Saturday next year....I'd love to run it once with your group!

29-Jul-14
I will be at the Colorado Tough Mudder on 6 SEP. Yes, taking a brief time-out from chasing bulls!

29-Jul-14
Straight Arrow, cool on that Frogman swim!!!

29-Jul-14

Straight —» Arrow's Link
Thanks Elkaddict. It's my forth time at the Frogman Swim....for me that 5K is just a normal sunday workout but it's for a great cause and I have made some really good friends and some of them former SEAL's. I also now know a number of the folks at the Navy SEAL Foundation now and that has been fun.

The open water event sells out in minutes since 2012. As of last year we started a new event called the Virtual Frogman Challenge...of which I am the "race director". I hope to have full details out soon as we open registration on August 6th which is the anniversay of the Extortion 17 shoot down where the helicopter air crew and "Team 6" operators were lost in 2011.

I also have a news article being published by Mel Stewert former Olympic Gold medalist on his swimming news site www.swimswam.com on August 5th. Hoping to get some decent turn out for the "virtual" event.

The Frogman Challenge was created for the long distance swimming community but we will also be honored to partner with anyone who wants to dedicate a really hard athletic endeavor....some of you guys could easily do it.

Climb all the 14ers in colorado or ski every double black diamond along I-70, do the North American Grand Slam and dedicate it to the Nacy SEAL Foundation...do whatever it is you do.

The foundation loves this stuff....set your goals, raise funds and earn some cool stuff from the SEAL's. At the Frogman Swim we commonly give out shadow boxes with a SEAL K-Bar knife inside and some really cool SEAL challange coins and other stuff for our really successful fund raisers. Of course everyone one gets a really rare and one of a kind t-shirt from Forged. (www.forged.com)

The content is being changed quite often right now as we fine tune the rewards being offered but will be final by the end of the week.

www.virtualfrogmanchallenge.com

29-Jul-14

Straight —» Arrow's Link
screwed up the link...try this one.

29-Jul-14
For some reason I'm challanged posting links today

www.tampabayfrogman.com www.virtualfrogmanchallenge.com

29-Jul-14
Very cool, Straight Arrow.

Did some lap swimming this year for the first time in a long time. Swimming will kick your ass!

29-Jul-14
no actually running will kick my ass....

30-Jul-14
My boss did one a couple weeks ago and tore his patella tendon on his right knee and had operation and can't drive. No boss for a couple more weeks!!!! lol

Loving It !!!

31-Jul-14
Seems like a good way to get hurt right before season starts, have fun I'll pass!

11-Aug-14

Bob H in NH's embedded Photo
Bob H in NH's embedded Photo
Just did a Spartan Sprint yesterday. I haven't been this sore in years!

We went as a 6 person team, partially to support my nephew who has Marfans disease (he did the Spartan Varsity Kids race and I was wildly impressed!).

Our team was myself, wife, two sons and their girlfriends. Activity/Atheletic ability ranges from College Level Soccer player to 50 year old woman who struggles to jog a 5K, but will try ANYTHING with her family.

This was a 4.8 mile course, and oh my god, I didn't know they'd find that many hills. It was INCREDIBLY FUN for all and after the first mile I don't think we ran any of it, walked it all, stayed as a team.

Several obstacles where "team or individual" like walls. Individuals had 7 foot walls, teams had 12. We got into a system to get everyone over!

Worst obstacle was a triple whammy combo: Start at the top of a hill about 125 yrds long (it was a snow tubing place). Run/walk down, then:

Hercules Lift: Sandbags on pulley with a rope, 30 feet up, 30 feet down. Guys bags weighed more than girls. Using just body weight alone really didn't work.

finish that, then: Rock carry. 5 gallon bucket of rocks. My guess is mine weighed about 50-60 lbs. Was WAY more than a 25lb bag of lawn fertilizer. Go UP the 125 yd hill, then back down. Spill any rocks - 30 burpees. This obstacle alone had the most people taking breaks.

Finish that off to climb over a bridge, then back UP, under the barb wire, over an inclined wall then more up.

We had a blast, laughed, got muddy.

11-Aug-14
Nice work, Bob and family!

11-Aug-14
Oh and to keep it hunting related. Wife is my elk hunting partner, sons grew up hunting and the two girlfriends are "interested" in trying.

13-Aug-14

15-Aug-14
Bill in MI and #1BEAR,

We're signed up for Chicago 2015!

Any other Bowsiters in? It would be a good time!

16-Aug-14
" Even the injured were smiling on the stretchers as the hauled them out."

Well that kinda makes me feel better, NOT! LOL, Mike

16-Aug-14
midwest....I've been to Chicago for the last time in my life. Too liberal for me. Only thing good there is the White Sox stadium.

I AM however sighned up for MN in 2015 and am going to do 2 laps.

Also am looking at Wisconsin in 2015.

16-Aug-14
Yes, Minneapolis certainly isn't a liberal city. ;-)

• Sitka Gear