wilhille 27-Jul-14
WapitiBob 27-Jul-14
Sapcut 28-Jul-14
LINK 28-Jul-14
txhunter58 28-Jul-14
Unit 9er 28-Jul-14
WapitiBob 28-Jul-14
26-Jul-14
Any OTC units in NM.. maybe near Albuquercue?

27-Jul-14
Several, but only for turkey and bear.

27-Jul-14
Sapcut... they are all OTC... down there that means that by the time you draw you'll be Old, Tired, & Crabby! lol

Good luck!

27-Jul-14
good one MP. :)

27-Jul-14
You might look into landowner tags...they are more or less OTC! NM screwed up a couple years ago and pretty much made drawing tags for nonres public land DIY type hunters impossible. What NM has done to nonres is a shame!

27-Jul-14
Funny and true Mule Power

Jims, too,...and so much of it is federal land where the animals roam.

Just the opposite in Kansas, they're making it harder on residents to hunt deer.

27-Jul-14
New Mexico is just as hard on residents also when it comes to getting tags. Without landowner tags, a lot of resident guys wouldn't get a chance to hunt. And now with the outfitters buying up the landowner tags, its getting harder and harder...

27-Jul-14
Actually, you have a chance at drawing a tag every year so no mule power, your acronym is pretty much wrong Your acronym works for states with bonus points or preference points though.

27-Jul-14
So your saying, there's a chance...............

27-Jul-14
Well I guess NM won. They have successfully steered me to take my nonresident self elsewhere.

27-Jul-14
Mule Power,

I may be able to afford a drop camp this year if I had that deposit that I unfortunately gave up a few years ago in Montana :)

27-Jul-14
There's a chance.

And to be honest, those that don't want to spend the app money on that chance, bye. You act like it hurts us when in reality, those tags get drawn by non residents. So, you're really not hurting new Mexico's economy by not applying. The same amount of non residents are going to be here regardless if you decide to be in the game or not. But if it makes you feel better by holding your breath and throwing a tantrum, so be it. The other non residents will thank you by upping their odds.

And don't say you could care less either or else you wouldn't make it clear that you took your ball and went home.

Post not directed at anyone personally.

27-Jul-14
I need to read the fine print...

Barbary has an OTC hunt.

28-Jul-14
I personally would not have time to apply for anything. I guess I could but if I draw a tag I may not be able to go and waist the tag. I never know if I can elk hunt each until the very last second. I am also looking to hunt with a couple hours from Albuquerque, CO Springs, or Denver airports....due to being about $300-400 flight.

28-Jul-14
I hear people say there are more elk in CO than any other state. The only problem is your hear all sorts of people hunting two weeks and not seeing an elk. The two units I've hunted in NM you knew you were going to see elk nearly every day and big ones at that. I would try to find a way to start putting in for draws in quality states. However if you don't it makes my odds better.

28-Jul-14
Wilhille:

I have never applied for a NM tag and probably won't. However it was my understanding that a few years ago they lowered NR odds substantially (unless you hunt with an outfitter?) So currently the DIY NR hunter has a noticably less chance now than he did.

It is the same story all over the west, lower opportunity for NRs is just fine with residents. Imagine that!

28-Jul-14
We're tired of all the Big oil money Texans buying all our land, draining our lakes, and killing our game. Well, that's what we like to say anyway...

The residents of NM are the ones who have been screwed for years. There is still plenty of opportunity for out of staters to hunt here. I see more out of staters every year, than in-state. What's that say?

28-Jul-14
That you're in the wrong unit?

• Sitka Gear