TSI 01-Aug-14
mixed bag 01-Aug-14
Z Barebow 01-Aug-14
Fuzzy 01-Aug-14
jims 01-Aug-14
Genesis 01-Aug-14
tradi-doerr 09-Aug-14
31-Jul-14
There's an interesting post running now in regard to blood tracking techniques. Unfortunately I'm orange-red color blind. Does anyone else do much bowhunting that is color blind. If so, do you have any pointers on trailing after the shot. I'm wondering if there are any colored lenses or anything else that may overcome the problem? Obviously, hunting with a non-color blind partner...but I often hunt alone!

31-Jul-14
X Chrome lens for one eye

31-Jul-14
Provide will make blood foam up

31-Jul-14
I've used a product called Bluestar mixed with windshield wiper fluid. Spray a fine mist to detect blood.

You need a very dark night as the blood glows blue.

I bought some for a nice buck I hit last year. Never found the deer.

31-Jul-14
Same boat as you. No magic bullet other than I looked at contact lens per Genesis.

Genesis- Have you used this lens or know of any one who does?

I don't think my color blindness is traditional red/green. It has been described to me as a color sensitivity problem. Some reds, but browns and grays are the toughest.

31-Jul-14
While training we did one for a guy but most cases are to beat the color plate test for a job.I don't offer it to those patients as an option for liability reasons.

They will help with contrast with green-red when fit on the non dominant eye.

It used to be supplied as a rigid lens but now a soft lens version is out but I wouldn't think it would work as well but I do not know that as fact.

31-Jul-14
Red-Green is far more common than blue-yellow but RG "color weakness" more common still.

31-Jul-14
Get a dog.

31-Jul-14
But I thought that dogs were color blind too?

31-Jul-14
Can you elaborate on the chrome lens? Can I use a chrome lens from Walmart or do I need something special? Do I need a contact or sunglass lens work?

01-Aug-14
X Chrome isn't a "chrome" lens it's actually red in color and will carry with it the same need for a professional fit whether you decide on a rigid or soft lens

Your doctor will have to order it regardless.... some may have even forget they are out there.

Her is a link for one softlens manu

http://www.techcolors.com/ProductsandServices/Zeltzerxchrom

Disclosure:I just googled this company up as I'm not familiar at all with this company,your fitting Doctor will make the determination what's best

01-Aug-14
http://colourvision.info/

01-Aug-14
Russell why did you not find the deer? Did you you run out of Bluestar or did the Bluestar not work for you? Did the blood trail just stop?

01-Aug-14
I ordered the Bluestar training packets a couple days after I shot the buck.

Prior to that, we searched for two days. The local gamewarden helped too.

The deer stopped bleeding and wind moved in scattering leaves.

The Bluestar worked well for 10 yards or so until there blood sign stopped and leaves scattered.

I carry the stuff in my truck in case I ever need it again.

01-Aug-14
Red/Green Colorblind andf an avid bowhunter.

1) Battery powered UV light and fluorescine dye mixed with hydrogen peroxide.

2) Get really good at reading other sign and understanding wounded deer escape behavior.

3) Learn not to "push" poor hits.

4) Cultivate close friendships with color-visioned people.

5) Get a good tracking dog.

6) Sharpen your shooting skills, knowledge of game anatomy, and learn restraint on shooting.

01-Aug-14
1) Cobalt filter (blue) over light source will be cheaper and work as well.

01-Aug-14
@ Genesis really? cool!

that's why I love this site....

01-Aug-14
I already have the UV light I use for my work so....

01-Aug-14
Cobalt filters are available as slip overs for penlights also so you may get some mileage out of that depending on what you are doing....

01-Aug-14
I'll google them, thaNKS!

we use fluorescine to demonstrate proper handwashing, and to trace the source of surfacing sewage back to point of origin (I work in public health)

01-Aug-14
Just follow the spiders. 'Nuff said

01-Aug-14
Look guys, I know I preach this to everybody, but color blind is such a bad deal to a bowhunter that makes it mire important to shoot a huge head because they kill so much quicker. Two things...Huge broadheads will kill quicker so most of the deer you shoot you will hear fall. Coc heads with sharp tips and extremely sharp blades create less shock and feathers do also so mist deer will go a few feet and stop. This and the other advice will combo to next level performance.

01-Aug-14
P.s. string trackers are not a bad option either.

01-Aug-14
TBM why do I routinely watch my deer fall shooting those measly 1 1/8" 3-blade VPA"s??? Last year's buck only made it 40 yards on a 2-lung full pass-through. Would a bigger head made it only 20 yards? One thing for sure about colorblind - shot placement is most importand so you do watch them fall. I would rather have a color blind good archer that doesn't get nervous and only takes and makes the highest percentage shot angles over a color-seeing archer that all-too often has to rely on a trail.

01-Aug-14
6 of the 7 shot last season were non heart or lung shots...my recovery distances were less than 40 them. I attribute the close recoverys on bad hits to coc Broadhead and feathers, plus a fairly quiet bow.

01-Aug-14
Understand that with the Cobalt Filter you will still need Sodium Fluorescein to map out the PH difference the blood/fluid manifests on leaves/dirt.....

Their may be far easier ways to skin this cat...I dunno.

01-Aug-14
A guy could make a handsome living selling troll food please don't give it away...:)

01-Aug-14
6 out of 7 bad hits, from the master, the bow master????

TBM, your fleeting grasp at the fame you so need is now gone forever.

Calling all tracking spiders...

01-Aug-14
Understood TBM - but I still think accuracy and shot placement trumps all. I think if you took a poll across bowsite over 99% would agree. I am just not comfortable with a philosophy that espouses "heck it don't matter where I hit that critter and my big heads are hard to tune cuz they so big they will die in site anyway". I can't argue with your success but it's diametrical to my core.

01-Aug-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
"licking sounds"?

01-Aug-14
Mine is so bad that I won't even try to follow a blood trail without a buddy. They will find huge splotches of supposedly bright red blood that I can hardly see on the green or brown foliage even when they point it out. Fortunately, my little kids aren't color blind and they make great blood hounds when my buddies aren't around. Good excuse to start them young!

01-Aug-14
Bowsite should have an ask the expert button for TBM.He seems to be an expert on everything.Shoot big heads and you can hit non vitals and get under 40yrd recoverys---seriously thats bad advice!Hit vitals and problem solved.this guy make me cringe just thinking anyone my actually do as he says,ouch

01-Aug-14
Bowsite should have an ask the expert button for TBM.He seems to be an expert on everything.Shoot big heads and you can hit non vitals and get under 40yrd recoverys---seriously thats bad advice!Hit vitals and problem solved.this guy make me cringe just thinking anyone my actually do as he says,ouch

01-Aug-14
I use a friend almost always.If no one available,I'll mark the spots as find them with toilet paper.Looking back at all the markings really helps determine their route.I also rely a lot on tracks an scuffed up areas where they stumbled.I've tracked a few deer by following the trail in the leaves and not loking for blood.Downhill is usually very easy to follow their trail.If I lose the trail,I'll wait for one of my kids to get home and help.Another method I use is a grid search or looking around water sources.Most animals I've shot head right for water I its not the best hit.Good hits I usually watch them fall.so I feel this post is more about marginal hits where the animal travels some distance.A one lunge elk can sure cover some ground.I learned that first hand. I may just purchase some of the items noted on here just to be prepared.I will say the worst animal I ever blood trailed was a black bear.Those darn things have fur that soak up the blood and fat to clog holes.Give me a wounded elk or deer any day

01-Aug-14
Jack Harris- You are trying to reason with the unreasonable. You are trying to polish a turd. It can't be done. The following quote is appropriate.

"It is impossible to soar with the eagles, when you are on the ground with the turkeys."

Back to something applicable. My goal is the most blood on the ground as possible. Specks don't work for me.

And as others have mentioned, grab your friends or family. I still remember the time I shot at a buck and the arrow deflected off an unseen branch and hit him in the rear 1/3 of the body. (Shot in the evening). I made no effort to track him that night. I knew it would be tough. Returned the next morning with my daughter (~9 years old at the time) and a fellow hunter. Trail was tough and getting worse. We finally reached trail junction and we thought the deer could have went down one of three trails. My daughter was tired and sitting on a log. As I was on my hands and knees and the other hunter was looking elsewhere, my daughter calls to me. She asks me "Is this blood?" She had found a piece of fat ~1/2" long and 1/8" wide with a tiny blood smear. I had to grab it and smear 1' foot from my face to verify. (I would have never spotted in on my own) 40 yards later down that trail was my deer. (300 yards+ past the shot)

I have lost trails and had my buddy come out and spot blood while walking that I couldn't see on my hands and knees. (And Coleman lantern)

01-Aug-14
Z Barebow, I have had parallel experiences. I also have found a couple deer by "other sign" that color sighted hunters gave up on.

01-Aug-14
I imagine there are "tendancies" for wounded game such as heading downhill and possibly to water that might help narrow down routes game might take after the shot. Can you think of any others?

01-Aug-14
Sure.....the faster they leave the shorter the dash

On pass throughs animals have a TENDANCY to arc away from EXIT hole

On non pass throughs they have the TENDANCY to arc away from the ENTRANCE hole

09-Aug-14
We have found that a small spray bottle with peroxide works pretty well, but after a rain it's useless.

• Sitka Gear