Jack Harris 13-Aug-14
TurkeyBowMaster 13-Aug-14
IdyllwildArcher 13-Aug-14
04-Aug-14
Jury summons for September 11th.

04-Aug-14
Extension

04-Aug-14
Having a tag and getting a new job and not having any vacation time!

04-Aug-14
Drawing the AZ archery elk tag after 21 years of applying and finding nothing but people running all over the unit. Most do whom were not permit holders, just out trying to locate a big bull and get a bounty for it. One of the worst hunts of my life.

04-Aug-14
Throw it away

04-Aug-14
Just go in and say "guilty" when they ask you the first question. You will be hunting the following morning.

04-Aug-14
Tell them you don't believe in the Criminal System...Then again, maybe not as they could throw you on a Civil Trial...

04-Aug-14
...no tag in your own State for 7 years and then reading stories in hunting magazines from non residents who drew premium units you've been applying for 2 years in a row.

04-Aug-14
I got called my self from sept 1 to dec 31s. I sent them a letter saying I was 360 miles east of there with no phone or any other way to reach me. And I live in another county.

04-Aug-14
Tag soup

04-Aug-14
I had tag soup last year. I also had a great hunt. If I didn't have a tag I wouldn't have had the great adventure that I had.

04-Aug-14
1. No tag two years in a row...

2. First timers, rookies, and greenhorns thread...

04-Aug-14
Jury Summons cure - call in sick or ask for a deferment.

Having a prime tag and not getting to use it because of, all the dumbest reasons, work.

04-Aug-14
Yes get an extension. Usually if you go in advance and let them know you've had a family vacation planned they will reschedule you. Be courteous when you talk to them.

04-Aug-14
Yes get an extension. Usually if you go in advance and let them know you've had a family vacation planned they will reschedule you. Be courteous when you talk to them.

05-Aug-14
How about having to testify as a witness in a poaching case that has drug on for over a year? Sept. 22nd

05-Aug-14
GM, hunt from the 10th to the 21st.

05-Aug-14
Getting a tag and then losing your job and other financial calamities so that by hunting season you not only can't go on the hunt, but you're not sure if you'll even have a house to live in next month.

05-Aug-14
Served once as a foreman on a murder trail. I was hesitant at first but it created a Great sense of duty! Take what comes your way so the bad guys don't "walk"! Support the victims and witnesses! It will work out for the best! C

05-Aug-14
Worse than no tag? Getting the tag you've been waiting on, then not being able to use it, turn it in and lose your points.

05-Aug-14
I can appreciate the situation of losing a job and not having the funds to go, but if that were the case for me, hunting would be the last thing on my mind especially if little ones depend on you for their wellbeing.

Hunting is a luxury, not a necessity...

As far as being involved in something that relates to a game law violation (essentially helping out the game and fish division), I would feel the game department would owe it to you to allow your hunt to continue - if even under special and extraordinary circumstances (as in between two seasons with no one else in the woods with you).

05-Aug-14

samman's embedded Photo
samman's embedded Photo
Where a t-shirt with this on it. You won't get picked for a jury.

05-Aug-14
No muley tag.

05-Aug-14
Having a special draw tag and not being able to use it! It may happen to me this year. We are in between housing and if we don't get re settled before my hunt is scheduled, I will not get to use my caribou tag.

We are waiting to hear if our application for a new condo has been accepted. Actually so far in the process we are approved, but....the major hurdle, and the last one to get through is the income limits. It is NOT low income housing, it is called tax credit housing. The income limit is $47,480 and my wife and I have done all kinds of calculations and have come up that we ARE under the income limits. but, it is up to how the Condo people do the calculations and see if we are under the income limits. We are supposed to find out sometime this week!

I sure hope we get approved....it will mean we are out of storage for the first time 4 years and save almost $1300 a year. And, we just found out that my son qualifies for Denali Kid Care....government insurance so we will be saving another over $300 a month that my wife won't have to pay!

So if we get the condo, we save money, have the biggest place we have lived in in 10 years, and....I would get to use my caribou tag too!!!!

05-Aug-14
Obama giving you the ebola virus for Christmas.

05-Aug-14
Waiting 10 years to draw a AZ elk tag only to rupture your achilles on July 3rd! Did I mention I also drew my 2nd NM elk tag in 15 years of applying as well?

05-Aug-14
I think you meant 'Obama giving you ebola virus for kwanzaa'

05-Aug-14
Wow, thanks for the pick me up guys. Hoping for the deferment, but I don't know when to say I can go in.

September is elk so that's a no go.

October is Antelope and the beginning of muleys.

November is the hard rut for muleys.

December and January is for the birds.

05-Aug-14
I drew a NM early season archery tag for Sept 1 - 10. I will be serving as a witness Sept 5 for my grandson's custody case. I promise the duty is worse than missing the hunt.

06-Aug-14
just go in and tell them you can't make it, you have a hunting trip.

Second when you go in tell them you are not racists, you just hate everyone!! Should be easy to get out of!!!!

06-Aug-14
Worse than no tag?? I hate to be a downer here, but there are pretty close to a billion things that are worse than not drawing a hunting tag!

Give thanks for the healthy children in your life! Be glad if you were born in the United States of America!

These are simply two things better than not drawing a hunting tag. I don't have time to list the other millions of things.

I'm a die-hard hunter, but let's remember what hunting is about....it's not tags! Hunting is about experiences. When I don't draw my tag, I try to find a youth who can be introduced to hunting and the outdoors. In NM, there are ALWAYS left-over youth tags available after the draw (sad). I get the kid a tag and then introduce them to our passion. I get into the field and a kid gets addicted to our passion. To me, very few things in life are better than drawing a tag.

Serving on a jury during bowhunting season is a TOTAL DRAG!. I sympathize. But, if that situation represents one of your worst dilemmas you are more fortunate than 95% of the humans on this planet.

For that reason, I say you are one lucky individual!

06-Aug-14
Worse than no tag? Getting a tag and then finding out from the landowner that EHD wiped out the whitetails.

I'm living that nightmare right now.

Shadow Man

06-Aug-14
Worse than no tag? Getting a tag and then finding out from the landowner that EHD wiped out the whitetails.

I'm living that nightmare right now.

Shadow Man

06-Aug-14
A sick child in the family

06-Aug-14
Getting a cow tag with max points in a great unit because your application was filled out wrong!

...damn dyslexia!

06-Aug-14
Having people on Bowsite taking your question literally.

GhostBird....ouch!

12-Aug-14
I can see you all and then raise you.

Live in the United Kingdom where bowhunting is illegal. And there are no elk.

Still, I'm practicing with serious intent and planning to hunt in the Rockies somewhere before too much longer [2015 or 2016]

12-Aug-14
Worse? Hunting without one.

12-Aug-14
Had shoulder surgery in April and still having issues drawing my bow...then getting a summons for federal jury service for the whole month of September, and when I called to try to get it delayed, they told me that having an elk hunt scheduled wasn't a excusable reason to delay it...So I guess that elk hunting just isn't meant to be this year.

12-Aug-14
GB...now that is funny. I have sent back a number of tags over the years....get over it and hunt something else.

12-Aug-14
I'll tell you what's worse, having another spine operation (#5), a fusion in two different locations and having to turn in a white-tail buck license that I have waited for several years to get.

12-Aug-14
Without a doubt, shoulder surgery and rehab.

12-Aug-14
anytime I think "what's worse" .... I think back to my ACL surgery

then I get to feeling a lot better

12-Aug-14
Getting a tag and wondering how I applied for that unit/time, in a state that doesn't allow turn-ins without losing your points.

A debilitating injury in the runup to the hunt, in the same situation as above. Someone near and dear getting very seriously injured or ill.

Your wife scheduled to have a baby (gotta keep a lid on the romance 9 months before prime [hunting] season), or your kid planning to get married, at the same time as your hunt.

In my experience jury is easy, tell them you have a conflict and they will just bump you to another date.

12-Aug-14
No tag 6 years in a row

12-Aug-14
wow Barty1970,

you win for sure

12-Aug-14
with 3 weeks to go the only thing worse than no tag is listening to those that have one... lol

13-Aug-14
Thanks Leo17; had to share my pain, y'know?

Still, the British Bowhunters Association is moving forward to have fairchase ethical bowhunting reintroduced as a legal means of take...

13-Aug-14
Having health problems now and DR says may not be able to go. Got stiffed by X hunting buddies last year twice and did not get to go. Have a guided trip all paid for this year and now in jeopardy. Hope doc figures this crap out fast. Supposed to leave Aug 30th. WTF next!!!

13-Aug-14
Hmmm...I'll fold

Tom has the hand :-(

Sorry buddy

13-Aug-14
Cancer. Sorry somebody had to say it

13-Aug-14
Being super ecstatic over getting to go to an otc unit with heavy pressure and low success and not knowing the difference?

13-Aug-14
You guys crack me up.

Condolences to the guys going through heck.

There's always a tag. Even if you don't draw, there's leftover and some reasonable OTC tags. Far better than not hunting in sept

• Sitka Gear