DWarcher 10-Sep-14
HCGunther 10-Sep-14
HCGunther 10-Sep-14
HCGunther 10-Sep-14
HCGunther 11-Sep-14
Hunting time 23-Sep-14
'Ike' (Phone) 24-Sep-14
05-Aug-14
Well, I finally get to go play this year. Two weeks of work too! Is there any advice out there I just can't live without for unit 111? Besides the usual "go scout" or "call a biologist". Schell Range vs. Duck Creek Range? How high to hunt? Any opinions? How about the Creeks on the east side? Cleve, Taft, Mocoy, Piermont, or just stick to the loop? I'm open to anything. Good places to visit in Ely, food, camping, Cave Lake...etc. Gotta be some knowledge out there? Thanks in advance!

05-Aug-14
Grats on that fantastic tag!

I was there a month ago.

There were dozens and dozens of elk coming out of the east side of 222 just south of the windmills and feeding in the private property and BLM land in the valleys of 115 (mostly in the BLM land). I couldn't believe how many elk there were out in the open and a lot of that part of north west 115 is BLM land. They were literally crossing the highway. I had a bull that looked like he would end up well over 300 inches once he was fully grown (still in velvet and growing 5 weeks ago) hop the fence as I drove by at 6 PM. I saw the two herds both coming and going (a week apart) in the same general areas.

The cows seemed to stay out there all day, while the bulls went back and forth into the east side of 222's mountains during the day, but they were showing themselves during shooting light.

I was there for a family vacation in the National Park and did all my scouting for a future hunt in 114, so I can't help you out as far as the high country in 111 goes, and I never went through Ely, but there is good eating at the stateline place down highway 50 on the east side between 114 and 115. It takes about 45 mins to drive from the windmills to the restraunt at stateline.

There's two places to shower in Baker. One is at the gas station in the far back right of the parking lot. It's cheaper (2.50), but not as clean as the RV place which is behind the red building with the big Budweiser neon sign (5.00), but you have to get a hold of the camp attendant to pay there so I imagine there's no super late/early showers there (gas station is 24 hrs). There's a couple places to eat in Baker, but their hours are limited and they were randomly closed when they were supposed to be open.

Once you fill your tag, go see Lehman Caves in the National Park, it is something else and I promise you will not be disappointed (you'll need to make a reservation).

05-Aug-14
Kalamazzo Creak......

I have had the bow buck tag twice and the muzzy buck tag once, antelope bow buck twice.....

I have some experience in the units (s).

Toss me a Email if you would like and I will get my maps out...

[email protected]

Good luck, Robb

PS- I presume you are talking bow bull tag dates?

06-Aug-14
Thanks guys! Exactly the kind of info. I was looking for. I guess I left out some important details. Yes, it is a Archery Bull Elk tag in 111-115. I will be hunting from Aug. 28 - Sept. 13. Gonna make it a point to hit Lehman's Cave now. Great lead on the shower situation too! Thank you so much. E-mail coming your way Robb...

06-Aug-14
NV has tough dates for archery. Last year shooter bulls were solo and silent for the most part. Might have to hunt them like mule deer, put them to bed and sneak in.

06-Aug-14
NP and GL!

Hope to see pictures of your hunt!

07-Aug-14
Keep in mind that the last week of your bow elk dates are the opening week of the muzzy muley buck hunt...screwy for sure!

Good luck, Robb

20-Aug-14
Anyone else want to weigh in before I head out to the great outdoors? I have not been this excited in a long time!

21-Aug-14
Good luck HCGunther. You have a hell of a tag in your pocket. Don't put too much pressure on yourself. Enjoy every aspect of the hunt. The good ones do not come around often enough. Shoot straight.

21-Aug-14
You have my cell number, keep in touch and feel free to reach out if need be!!

Good luck, Robb

PS-Pick a High spot to set-up camp as these down pours are unforgiving!

09-Sep-14

HCGunther's embedded Photo
Here he is...I think I did o.k.?

09-Sep-14
I would say so! He obviously liked to play in the mud. Congrats

09-Sep-14
wow! Congrats! Ground blind I assume?

09-Sep-14
A keeper. Congrats!!! How about a good story to go along with the pic.

09-Sep-14
Huge bull! Congratulations. Tell us the story.

09-Sep-14
looks like a great bull would like to see some more pics

See rick m I told u Nevada ;>

09-Sep-14
Great 3rds.

09-Sep-14
Very nice Gunther! How bout the story? Mike

09-Sep-14
Sweet!

10-Sep-14
Looks like he piled up in a wallow. Bet it's a good story!

10-Sep-14
Dang what a beast! Congrats!

Best of Luck, Jeff

10-Sep-14
WOW what a great bull...congrats!

10-Sep-14

10-Sep-14

10-Sep-14
Thank you for all the kind words and congrats. Yes, I spent quite a few days in my blind to make this one happen. I got to watch him for nearly 10 minutes at 20 yards getting busy in that wallow (pictured above). A cow came in which made him finally stand up and turn broadside, giving me a clear chip shot at 20 yards.

11-Sep-14

How about the one I didn't get?

23-Sep-14
Any advice for the any weapon hunt in November? Found elk in junipers this weekend. Does anyone know if the stay there or head up to treeline/aspens. Would like to stay away from groups of huters/combat zones. Was looking for rough/ tough to get to areas but only found deer and grazing sheep.

24-Sep-14
That's awesome, congrats...

• Sitka Gear