trkyslr 07-Aug-14
Billincamo 07-Aug-14
cantclosethedeal 07-Aug-14
Lone Bugle 07-Aug-14
Crockrj 07-Aug-14
HDE 07-Aug-14
2rope2 07-Aug-14
06-Aug-14
I recently bought a brand new Matthews chill X. I put a black gold 3 pin ascent sight on it. I had 5 pins before and i wanted fewer but didn't want a single pin sight. The pins where set at 30/40/50 yards. 50 is the floater pin. The sight has a dial and comes with several sheets with different yardage distances on them, each are for different FPS. So I am no expert at all. But the way things were suppose to be done is you mark the sight needle at 30 and the back out to 80 and match up the 30 and 80 yards mark. then peel off back and stick on. I shot bow through chrono and I am shooting about 310 FPS. I have a 30 and 7/8 draw length and pulling 74 pounds.

Now with all that said the highest any tape for the sight reads is 324 FPS. So I could not get any of tapes to match and the tape that read 324 was a foot high at 80 yards. Therefore I called black gold and they told me the FPS was a guide line but didn't always match up exact.

So my question is do I get new sight all together or make my own sight tape. Any help. For right now I am going with making my own sight tape

07-Aug-14
A lot of that was confusing and you may be over thinking it. Being the site is a slider your 50 (3rd pin) is the slider pin. So you should have the site set so your 30,40,50 are on and site needle should be on the 50 not the 30. Then based upon your speed and practice you find the correct yardage tape to dial in past 50 using your 50 pin. Hope this helps.

07-Aug-14
Find someone with archers advantage program and print out the correct tape, stick it on, check it and sight in. Don't buy a new sight when all you need is a tape set up correctly.

07-Aug-14
Another vote for Archers Advantage. Most Archery shops will print up a couple site tapes on waterproof paper for a couple bucks. The most accurate method is still getting two sight marks as far apart as possible. i.e. move your sight window up and sight in you bottom pin (50 yd in your case) at 20 yards. mark this spot on the sight housing. Then, drop your slider down to shoot as far as possible using the same bottom pin (70-80yds) and mark this on your housing. With these two distances your site tape will be highly accurate. Good Luck

07-Aug-14
just make a new tape! Black Gold sites are awesome!

07-Aug-14
"So you should have the site set so your 30,40,50 are on and site needle should be on the 50 not the 30. Then based upon your speed and practice you find the correct yardage tape to dial in past 50 using your 50 pin."

^^^^^ This.

Also, I have the same sight and mine are set up with 20, 30, 40, and my 40 is the floater. One of the easiest ways to find the correct tape is to use a caliper and measure your top and bottom pins on your sight (your 30 & 50) then transfer that measurement to the correct tape.

07-Aug-14
I just got a 3 pin Ascent like you and really like it. Here's a tip: go to www.sandsarchery.com. On it, there is a really good video on how to set up the sight and finding the sight tape. That's what I did and have never chrono'd my bow but I am using the 294 fps tape.

07-Aug-14
Thanks for input. I do like the sight. Sorry turkey slayer if I didn't explain good. Sometimes hard to translate thoughts into words correctly. I had a five pin sight on previous bow if that helps. Lonebugle. Thanks I went and got some labels and a sharpie with fine point. I plan on making my own scale. HDE. I am going to look up your link now

Thanks

• Sitka Gear