JakeSaenz 07-Aug-14
Charlie Rehor 07-Aug-14
Elkaddict 07-Aug-14
Beendare 07-Aug-14
coelker 09-Aug-14
JakeSaenz 09-Aug-14
8pointer 09-Aug-14
07-Aug-14
Hi everyone - just joined Bowsite after a friend and I were speaking of the upcoming Elk Season. He said this was a great forum for advice and am glad to have found it.

I am looking for some advice from some seasoned vets in the colorado area. This year I'll be up for the Month of September with an either sex OTC archery tag. I have the entire month so open to any suggestions.

Being a Texas boy I'll only have a few days prior to the start of the season to do some in person scouting. Most of it so far has been using GE and CPWD statistics.

What I am looking for is a legal animal with a bow. I am not concerned with trophy's or even really a bull, Just a great experience and some meat in the freezer.

The type of hunt I like to do is one where I can get deep, I'm young, fit, and enjoy hard work. I like packing it in on foot and staying out for multiple days.

I have 4 GMU's in mind - 211, 36, 43, and 74. I choose those regions for various reasons such as having hunted them before, knowledge of the area and friends hunting in the area. 211 has a great 5 year success but no wilderness and is mostly BLM. 36 is where a friend got a muzzleloader tag, and 74/43 was recommended by a friends and have hunted there before.

I guess my question would be if I was looking for a GMU with large road free areas and a decent amount of elk where would you guys suggest looking into?

I still have a few weeks to shoot, practice calling, and scout online. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Stay safe out there, - Jake

07-Aug-14
Welcome! Always amazes me when someone finds Bowsite for the first time! I don't know why but I just assume everyone knows about it! It sounds like you have some good intel already with your past hunts but I'm sure you'll get some more ideas! Good luck! You are very fortunate to be able to get a whole month straight to hunt! C

07-Aug-14
PM sent.

07-Aug-14
I've hunted 36 and 74 in the past and can give you some direction there Jake if you like...just PM

09-Aug-14
I would skip 211... The only reason it is so high on success is the large amount of private land. Of the blm and public the majority do it is either land locked or wide open flats. The higher success rates are due to a lot of cow tags and the the high abundance of outfitter in the unit. It would be one the few units I would absolutely direct people away from. There is no where near enough animals and access to make it worth the time and effort.

Seriously I would put unit 211 in the bottom 10% of of units I the state for September bow hunt. Even knowing the unit well and having access through private land I do not hunt the unit during archery. On the flip side a 3rd or 4 th season rifle tag can be amazing in the unit with a little weather!

Another big factor is a good chunk of the western 1/2 of the unit is ranching for wildlife and will end up harboring a ton of animals from the blm after the get just a little pressure...

09-Aug-14
Thanks Coelker - I was wondering about the rates and lack of forest land - great info! Best of luck this season.

09-Aug-14
coelker is correct. The BLM land in 211 I would consider to be migratory elk in 3rd and 4th rifle. I killed a cow on BLM in 4th rifle one year.

• Sitka Gear