Elk
Contributors to this thread:
steff 08-Aug-14
Charlie Rehor 08-Aug-14
KY EyeBow 08-Aug-14
Yates 08-Aug-14
BG33bow 08-Aug-14
08-Aug-14
I'm hoping to put my Unit 1 tag to good use in a few weeks. Any recommendations on processors? Also, rough estimate on shipping meat home to NY? Thanks!

08-Aug-14
Springerville is a big town and I remember seeing multiple processing places while there in 2009. I was hunting Unit 15 in New Mexico and unfortunately did not need a processor. It will be very expensive to ship home. Friend shipped a processed elk a couple years ago to Illinois and it was $1,200. Good luck! C

08-Aug-14
I used Rusty's in Springerville a few years ago and was happy.

08-Aug-14
Was Rusty's something else in the past? I know where Rusty's is and I was not happy with the business in that location back in 2001.

08-Aug-14
Funny story. Last fall I killed a nice bull in unit 1. So I take my bull to Rusty's to get processed. I was happy with the job they did. A few months into eating the meat I dig in my chest freezer and pull out 2 packs of tenderloins. The funny part is I had hit my bull a little high and did not look for him until the next day. Meat was all good but I usually never gut my animals I debone them and leave the guts in and did not retrieve my tenderloins. Thanks to Rusty's for the yummy tenderloins. But felt a little bad for the guy who lost his.

• Sitka Gear