Medicinemann 10-Aug-14
Russell 10-Aug-14
TurkeyBowMaster 10-Aug-14
Phil 11-Aug-14
TD 11-Aug-14
Fuzzy 11-Aug-14
3rd Degree 11-Aug-14
09-Aug-14
I'm kind if wondering what to expect from the meat of different animals now that I am expanding my kill zone. Elk is Next on my list to fill my freezer. On a scale of 1 to 10 how would you rate elk and some of my he other critters you have killed. To kind of give you an idea of what I'm talking about, rate on taste and tenderness. Beef can be a 10, but I have had cuts that would rate a 2 but the average is around an 8. Pork is hard to mess up and rates a 9. Chicken an 8 also. For the wild game I have taken I would say whitetails rate a 6 and wild southern turkey a 7 and the corn Fed Nebraska Turks a 9. Squirrel would be a 6 even though one if the best dishes I ever ate was squirrel. Quail are a solid 9. Duck a 4.

Just rate it like you see it

09-Aug-14
As we all know there are many factors that play into the taste and quality of game meat. Assuming the animal has been handled and processed correctly I would rate elk 8, mule deer 6 (although the buck I shot last year was incredibly good), merriams turkey 7, grouse 6, dove 6 pheasant 7, cottontail 7. Not many wild game animals that i don't enjoy eating. If i didn't like em I wouldn't hunt em!

09-Aug-14
Frog legs are hard to beat! My Mothers recipe is the best!

09-Aug-14
Moose Buffalo Elk I'd honestly as soon have a freezer filled with these three than beef, after that - Pronghorn Whitetail -Mule Deer - tied Rabbit Squirrel, though, I still do so enjoy a good plate of BBQ Limb Chicken. All of the above is assuming I get to care for the meat, from a clean kill, processing, cooking and serving.

As for birds - Wild turkeys Pheasant Quail Geese Ducks Doves Prairie Chicken

In terms of quality of meat, compared to a lot of what I've eaten in the past, fixed properly I'd rate any of the above a 6 or 7 at the lowest. Duck and goose can rival good venison or beef if handled and cooked the right ways.

Don't count your elk before their killed TBM, but don't be surprised if you have a new favorite meat after you taste those first tenderloins cooked over a campfire, either.

09-Aug-14
I like them all if taken care of right and cooked right !

09-Aug-14
Elk, antelope, caribou, moose are all top shelf to me. Really want to try mountain lion.

09-Aug-14
Speed goat gets the 10 in my book moose a close second then corn fed mule deer elk is about an 8 along with cotton tails blue grouse is about a 9 I'd think. beef and pork are pretty low on the list in my favorite 10 meats chicken doesn't even make the top ten.

09-Aug-14
Taste...(based on tenderloins only, so tenderness was not a factor)

1.) Muskox (shot in Spring, not during rut) 2.) (Tie) Moose and Sheep 4.) Elk/Red Stag 5.) Mountain Lion 6.) Pronghorn Antelope 7.) Bison 8.) Bear 9.) Mountain Goat 10.) (Tie) Caribou and Deer

1-3 are all close in comparison... 4-6 are similar in comparison.... 7-10 are the final grouping.

I have had Venison that was great, and I have had Elk that was so-so.....I have had some awesome Pronghorn Antelope medaillons, while others had a strong sage taste to them.....but after hundreds (if not thousands) of wild game meals, the quality of the meat depends largely on four or five factors....the animals diet, time of year that the animal was killed (i.e. rut can impart a strong taste)), preparation of the meat while afield, proper physical tenderizing of the meat (use a Jaccard meat tenderizer!!), and depending on your personal palate for chemical tenderizing, the use of a marinade (some don't want to "mask" the flavor of the meat, others want to experiment).

I didn't rank birds and small game....but I have a KILLER recipe for any of them.....run some through a meat grinder and make into ground meat. Make into patties. Dip in an egg wash, roll in bread crumbs, and brown each side in a frying pan. Then put into a casserole dish and prepare as a "Parmesan".....I have converted vegetarians with this recipe!!

Tenderness...("tough" for me to evaluate.....because I ALWAYS use a Jaccard)

1.) Muskox 2.) Sheep 3.) Moose 4.) Elk/Red Stag 5.) Bear 6.) Mountain Lion 7.) Pronghorn Antelope 8.) Caribou 9.) Deer 10.) Bison 11.) Mountain Goat

Again, I have had some awesome Bison.....but only when tenderized....I will also submit that the degree of preparation (especially tenderizing with a Jaccard) will have a HUGE impact on how the meat turns out. I will also state that I have had excellent meals of Mountain Goat that were tenderized with a Jaccard (in fact, I ate them with a plastic knife and plastic fork).

I believe that it is important to serve wild game immediately after removing from the heat source....as the meat will continue to cook for a couple minutes even after being being removed from heat....the more wild game is cooked, the chewier it becomes (to me)....I cook wild game to rare/medium rare....then remove from heat. By the time I am done eating, it is medium rare most of the time. I always have all of the other dishes cooked and on the table, before the meat is done cooking.....when it hits the table, we start to eat immediately.

The outcomes can vary dramatically, so it is really difficult to compare objectively.

09-Aug-14
I prefer elk over beef.

You can expect well over 200 lbs of meat from a bull.

09-Aug-14
Top shelf in order: Grouse, moose, snapping turtle, bear, elk, snowshoe hare.

Mid grade-goose, duck, caribou.

Burger meats-caribou, deer, duck.

Won't eat em but I use for bear bait-jack rabbits, beavers, coyotes.

Caribou and duck can range from OK to burger only.

09-Aug-14
Buffalo Mountain Angus (Moose) Elk Deer

09-Aug-14
Thanks for the tip on the Jaccard, Jake! I've got a mountain goat hunt this fall and I'm bringing the meat back, so I've now got a Jaccard on my wish list.

09-Aug-14
I use the Jaccard so much, that years ago, I started a thread about them....they are awesome!!!!!.....and I have no affiliation with them whatsoever......

09-Aug-14
How does Mtn caribou taste (killed during rut)?

09-Aug-14
In some cases, even a "rutty" animal can taste alright...especially if chemical tenderizers (marinades) are employed.....I would still use the Jaccard, as well, because it increases permeability by an incredible amount, allowing the marinade to work its magic throughout the meat....

09-Aug-14
Thanks for the response MM. I need to buy one of those Jaccard tools.

09-Aug-14
This is like asking what is a pretty woman. I can't taste what y'all taste, and that's evident in the opening post. If beef rates higher than deer, I need to know what you are doing to screw that deer meat up !

09-Aug-14
I hope I wasn't being redundant starting this. I remembered a similar thread last year but I didn't know how to search it. Glad I did anyway because of the Jaccard info...thanks MM. It sounds next level..hope it's not too expensive.

09-Aug-14
1. Mt lion

2. Bear

3. Antelope

4. Whitetail fawns

Moose elk deer. Mostly sausage and burger when have 1-4

Need to get one of those jaccards last years bull elk was so horribly tough

Birds 1. Ruff grouse

Have to find out what marinades and sauces to use that makes game meat better than pork and beef. Anyways wisconsin pork and beef far out ranks any game meat I ever had Generally it's fat that gives meat it's flavor and most game meat has little muscle fat and as game meat fat except for lion and bear generally doent taste to good by itself. Of course most game animals are taken at height of the rut so not fair comparison to the neutered pork and beef

09-Aug-14
TBM,

Last time I checked, the three row model was $39.99. The one row model is $19.99.....but I would really rcmd the three row model.....

10-Aug-14
RE the Jaccard: Yes, it's a much better value ... three rows for the price of two!

But seriously, I use mine all the time. I didn't even know they made a single blade version. That plus the marinating box attachment to my Food-Saver and you can make even the toughest cuts tender. I even use it on chicken breasts. All those holes plus the vacuum pulls the marinade all through the meat. It really doesn't even have to sit, although I always let it. Whip it on the grill ... shoot, now I'm hungry for dinner and it's only 7AM!

10-Aug-14
$19.99 delivered via eBay. Just bought one (3 row).

Tks again MM.

R

10-Aug-14
Russell,

A three row Jaccard for the price of the single row Jaccard is a steal of a deal....you won't regret it...

10-Aug-14

Russell 's Link

10-Aug-14

TurkeyBowMaster's embedded Photo
TurkeyBowMaster's embedded Photo
I got one of these.

11-Aug-14
You know, I'm to the point now that if I see a thread that TBM starts I don't even read it anymore........

11-Aug-14
Antelope is funny. I've only had it a couple time (MT lope) and it was awesome. That old cowboy Leroy knew how to take care of game though, and he picks eaters as shooters. I've heard others say it was nasty. Maybe how they were handled? What they eat? Don't know. But that I ate wasn't just good,it was great. But really haven't eaten enough of it regularly to get an overall feel for it to rate.

The moose I've had was very very good too. (NYBob is a great cook) But the problem with only having eaten something a few time is you may be eating something that was cooked by someone who can make an old boot delicious. Or could be eating something that wasn't taken care of well and cooked by someone who could screw up a pop-tart. And all else equal, a young female is normally going to be better eating than an old gnarly male anything. Any game overcooked is a tough nasty mess.

Elk is very good and I've eaten a bunch of it so have no problem rating it. Most of the deer I've had were OK. Never had any corn fed whitetail, but the woods whitetail tried was on the par with the muley and blacktail. Edible. If I had plates of other meat on the buffet line I probably wouldn't touch it.

I'm lucky in that my main prey is axis deer, and their reputation for great eating is legendary. I'd rate them and elk right up there, the age, cuts and preparation can give the nod to one or the other, the axis maybe a slight edge overall.

Medium eats, our mountain pigs are good, but lean as can be for the most part. Can't cook it like a person would for most pork. Pheasant I shoot a lot and eat a bunch of it. If prepared right it is pretty good.

Lower end the turkeys I've had from here would go with most of the feral goats near the bottom. Mouflon a step over those, I've had good luck making breakfast sausage links out of em, the oily nature works well there.

But.... in answer to the question..... yes elk is very good, better than most deer, and when you get one you get all the meat you want, or can, handle.

11-Aug-14
I wuold have to second Huntcell on the mountain lion, tasty vittles!

11-Aug-14
There are so many things you do to meat. From field dressing to marinades to cooking process to recipe. The best way to compare is to cook them all the same way: seasoned with just salt and pepper, med rare at most (unless requirede to kill Salmonella or the likes). Goose however, has to have a good recipe.

Jaccards work if needed, but not needed for tender meat. It will definately help tough meat. The more important factor is to take the animal best for eating, and handling properly. A good recipe cqn make a poor eating animal taste good. That's why I like the salt & peper method.

Just make sure you don't push too hard or go too fast with jaccard you can ruin the tips. I have worked at a restaurant and guys used to go to fast hard and mess up the tips.

TBM, your device will work, just won't cut like the Jaccard. I'll say just about equal.

Recipes can make a world of difference.

Rice wine vinegar is great in marinade's for venison.

Fallow deer is awesome. Just about any game is better than anything in a store!

• Sitka Gear