GBTG 13-Aug-14
Z Barebow 13-Aug-14
Sage of the Sage2 13-Aug-14
jims 13-Aug-14
Tracker 19-Aug-14
Fuzzy 19-Aug-14
livz2hunt 19-Aug-14
10-Aug-14
Just wondering how many of you seasoned veterans camp out with the herd when dark falls, rather than going back to base camp. I mean if you are in the elk and it gets dark, seems to me leaving that spot and getting back to your truck or atv then motoring back to base camp would be a lot of lost time and travel.

10-Aug-14
I usually carry camp on my back or spike in. I got sick of walking back to the truck/basecamp about 3 years ago. Too much wasted time and energy.

10-Aug-14
I'm not saying that it wouldn't work in specific cases, because I have done so when conditions warranted it.....but elk will be moving around in the dark, and you'd put out scent all night....which might scare them away. I suppose it depends on how close you planned on camping to them, and if they have had previous hunting pressure.

If you were in sheep country, I'd have to agree with the strategy, if you put a shooter ram to bed, because they'd probably stay in same general locale.

10-Aug-14
"...depends on how close you planned on camping to them."

LOL

I used to bivy hunt all the time, staying with the elk as much as possible. They don't seem to be nearly as spoked by people or human scent in the dark.

One example: After dogging the herd all afternoon, I "camped" under a huge spruce on the edge of an aspen/meadow area about 100 yards below a wallow. (No fire, or stove, just cold food - always). The downhill branches of the spruce had recently been raked by a bull. During the night, after the moon was up, I was awakened by the sounds of elk walking and talking, and soon a bull bugling near the wallow. Soon enough the bull sauntered up to the tree I was under, and started to lightly rub the branches. I was laying there, up on one elbow, close enough to touch his nose. By the time I realized I might be in trouble if he got serious about abusing the tree, he noticed something - me, under the tree. He jumped back a few yards, stopped and looked over his shoulder. When nothing chased him, he just wandered off. I lingered there for a while in the morning, and the herd returned. The bull wasn't what I wanted, so I let him walk.

Many times over the years I had elk very close (another time, almost stepped on) and been serenaded most of the night while bivouacking this way.

Even if they weren't still there in the morning, those were memorable nights!

10-Aug-14
I don't understand why people hike 5 miles to elk.

IMO, you should be within 500 yards of them by legal shooting light if you know where they are.

Walking around doing locators from 6-8 AM when you should be on them hunting, is time wasted.

Early bird gets the worm.

10-Aug-14
I don't think the majority of Elk hunters are in good enough areas to be able to move within 500 yards by shooting light. From what I read most are hiking miles just to find an Elk.

11-Aug-14
That's true. So find them.

Then wake up earlier and be in their area well before sunup or sleep near them if that's far away - that's what I'm saying.

I was within 500 yards of elk before shooting light 6 of 10 days in a grizz/wolf infested general tag zone in WY last year and I hunted 4 different spots. The common denominator was leaving camp with enough darkness to hike at least 3 miles (with a half-crippled partner) and follow the bugles and upon finding them, getting on them before light and not hunting them when the wind sucks, which blows them out.

I think the number 1 mistake unsuccessful elk hunters do is hunting high pressure zones like CO OTC. I think the number 2 mistake they make is hunting elk in their beds after 9 AM (or hiking too far to elk and getting on them after legal shooting light which drastically cuts the amount of time they can be hunted with predictable winds), which sets them up for swirling winds and blowing elk out of an area where they know they are which means starting over at square one: hiking a million miles looking for elk. It's a story I read over and over and over from folks who hunt hard, but are unsuccessful year after year.

My first year elk hunting, I did the same thing. I thought my strong legs were what would buy me success. I've been successful ever since reading a certain someone's advice to let them rest and hunt them the next day instead.

Doesn't it make sense, that they would learn to survive by only sitting down to sleep while the wind gave them the advantage to bust stalking predators?

11-Aug-14
Of all of Bowsite's regular posters, I'm probably the most recent to hunting, least experienced of guys.

Except for equipment or backpacking advice, when it comes to hunting, I'm only posting if I've read someone else's advice who is much more experienced than I am, and then put that advice into practice with successful results. I killed my first elk with 23 months of hunting (not elk hunting, not bow hunting, hunting period) experience.

Getting on top of elk before 1st light and leaving them alone if I haven't loosed an arrow by 10AM is advice that I read from Dan Moore after my first unsuccessful elk season. Since putting into practice his advice, I'm 2 for 2. If it works, it's worth repeating.

I have nothing but respect for you Bob, which is why I explain myself.

11-Aug-14
I can think of lots of areas that if you camp right on them, come daybreak they are gone- like in Nm when they come down to those big meadows at night.

If they are in a remote basin with little pressure, yep, you want to be right there close at first light.

11-Aug-14
I've had some success sleeping with the herd during mid day. When they settle down and stop moving around, intake a nap with them. Then, I'm right there as soon as they get up for the evening. I also like to get on elk 1-2 hours before first light. This way you can sometimes judge their direction of movement and get in front of them before first light.

11-Aug-14
Nothing better than being within "close" proximity of the elk in the early morning. I learned a long time ago, to save time and energy, bivy camping was the way to go.

Being too close can cause problems as I have had elk get down wind of my sleeping during the night and send out loud warning barks.

Now I may bivy sleep down wind, but a 1/4 mile away and still be able to hear them in the night.

Most often, I will wake up around 3am, and do a locator call on the bugle.

Yea, there have been times when the elk herd kept me awake most of the night or an unknown bull bugles across the meadow an hour before day light.

Time to go hunting and sounds I would have never heard if I had not been there early and all night.

Sort of like the tree falling in the forest. The question may be, "if elk bugles in the night, and no one hears the sound, did it really happen at all."

If you are not there, I guess it did not happen.

My best, Paul

11-Aug-14
AZBUGLER...that is my "normal routine" as well.

Best of Luck, Jeff

11-Aug-14
liv2hunt,

As stated by Ziek previously, if you are going to "sleep amongst them", I would definitely plan on cold meals....no fires.

However, I have previously wondered if fires make a difference either....they might smell smoke more often than human scent in really dry areas.

As is ALWAYS the case, people will have stories which can support either course of action. However, there are some commonalities....no one disagrees that it is imperative to be IN your elk area before (or no later than) first light.

12-Aug-14
Had them barking at me in the dark and long gone before daylight - so close but not too close.

12-Aug-14
I know a few guys that have slept with the herd! Their standards aren't very high and they usually refer to it as "hogging". I am more of a one woman man and she ain't no hog.

12-Aug-14
I was thinking maybe take along the pocket rocket and be ready ifn need be. Throw up a tarp and sleep in a bag on the ground, 1/4 or so away from the herd if I can find em.

12-Aug-14
Now I've heard it all, don't even try explaining to me what a "pocket rocket" is.

12-Aug-14
Google it!

12-Aug-14
Got ya. I thought it might have something to do with hogging. :)

12-Aug-14
we normally hear bugles at night right from base camp.

12-Aug-14
Camp close, have a fire, enjoy yourself. Elk won't be spooked by your camp...

12-Aug-14
My wife broke me of that chit 32 years ago !

13-Aug-14
I always want to be on the elk by first light. Even so, I have never killed an elk before 10:00am.

13-Aug-14
No one mentioned that it is just fun to sleep with the herd. Who cares if it's tactically efficient. It usually is the best part of an elk hunt. Breathing the fresh night air, watching shooting stars, listening to bulls crack heads and scream all night. Dreaming about how big that growler you keep hearing might be. I'd rather experience 6 nights of this and go home empty handed than go back to base camp at night and tag a big bull.

Almost.

13-Aug-14
ABQBW +1

13-Aug-14
In 2004, I set up camp at the edge of a very large meadow in a long valley. (Probably 3 miles long). I was tucked slightly into the trees.

Night #1- I had a herd of elk come out around midnight and they were going wild. I had bulls bugling, fighting, cows calling, you name it. I had two different elk come so close to my tent I could here their footsteps. I thought I was going to get trampled as the bulls were getting chased by what I suspect is the herd bull. This went on until 5 AM or so. Needless to say, I was ready to go in the morning, but would need a nap later!

Another time my buddy and I had a bull bugling while we tried to sleep. He kept getting closer. He finally was so close, we could hear him breathing. He bugled so close I thought my tent was vibrating! He finally spooked as our 7 day old clothes must have spooked him. In the morning, we could see his hoof prints and where he spooked. He was 12 yards from my buddies tent.

I have learned from these incidents. Yeh it is cool, but I have an aversion to getting busted. I like setting up my camp at the edge of a steep cliff. (Think where a mule deer would bed. Anything going low will have to try real hard, and anything above will likely pass without getting a wiff.

13-Aug-14
I know a couple of guys that hunt like this. The elk I hunt are generally moving to a different spot when the sun starts up. I tend to camp in somewhere I can get up in the morning and move to get ahead of them before they get there - not 5 miles away, but maybe a half mile. "Bedding down with the herd" sounds like fun, but doesn't seem necessary if you are familiar with the area and the way the elk behave in it. But, then again, I've never actually tried it.

13-Aug-14
I wouldn't exactly say I sleep with the elk but as I get older (and smarter) my preference is to backpack a spike camp close to remote elk hangouts so I'm not wasting time and energy. It's also a lot easier to spend quality time early and late in the day hunting rather than hiking in and out of deep, dark canyons if I know my camp is in close proximity of the elk!

19-Aug-14
IdyllwildArcher has given great advice here in that if you do not get an arrow loose back off and plan for the evening. If I am packing back in the morning and trying to intercept elk going to the bed I will carry my hammock. Once the elk make it to the bed I stretch out and relax. Read a book and take a nap waiting to intercept them as the move in the evening to water and feed. Traipsing all over the mountain is doing more harm that good. At my age I need to limit my wasteful walking and staying near the elk whether it is during the day or overnight helps. You just have to do it smartly.

19-Aug-14

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
it happens

19-Aug-14
I will be hunting public land otc tags that I have never hunted before, but going with a friend who has been there before. He is not the hunter I consider myself to be. His idea of hunting and mine are considerably different. The camping aspect is the part he enjoys, while I do enjoy camp with friends, its being the ultimate predator that I enjoy most.

• Sitka Gear