Jack Harris 13-Aug-14
TurkeyBowMaster 13-Aug-14
Jack Harris 13-Aug-14
elkbreath 13-Aug-14
TurkeyBowMaster 13-Aug-14
jbone 13-Aug-14
Outdoorsdude 14-Aug-14
12-Aug-14
My intent for this post is NOT to hear about favorite broadheads for elk. With all the new BHs produced over the last few years, I am curious to see how many are still using Simmons Landsharks for elk. Would also like to hear if you quit using them and why. Thanks to all.

12-Aug-14
I might have a couple of them in my quiver this year along side a couple of grizzly single bevels. Never used them for elk before.

12-Aug-14
I can't believe TBE hasn't jumped all over this yet.

12-Aug-14
Yeah me too unless it is him incognito!

12-Aug-14
Landsharks with Trebark camo would be a deadly combination...

13-Aug-14
Man Genesis if I thought it would work I'd try it, I'm a pretty good elk hunter, I call them in every year, but I'm a horrible elk killer!

13-Aug-14
I was almost positive this was an EBR (elk bow rookie) thread!!

13-Aug-14
Simmons tree shark, glue on with insert, is still my favorite broadhead.

They penetrate very well and open great holes. My last handful of elk have all fallen to them very swiftly. I've used many others, but I can't imagine a better head. I shoot a 70# longbow.

13-Aug-14
I can't imagine why not. It's known to be a quality fixed blade that is tough and penetrates. Get it razor sharp and good luck

13-Aug-14
Why not shoot them...probably not the best at longer ranges or in high winds. Harder than most heads to tune. Have to have sharpening skills to get them hunt ready. Seem to be harder than most to get to spin true. Heavy. Probably the best under 30 elk head made for all angles and poor hits.

13-Aug-14
Wait I think we may be onto something. Could harder to tune heads in any way shape or form lead to poorer hits? Could there be a connection or some symbiotic relation between the two?

13-Aug-14
Don't be silly guys. A properly tuned bow will shoot this head as straight as another. And that goes for most any head. They fly better than darts, as I've seen a lot of guys throw darts.

If they aren't flying well, you have tuning issues and can't hide them with fixed blade heads. I've not had any spin issues for years, from tree shark glue ins to smaller and lighter land shark.

Heavy, you bet, mine are 300gr with insert and consistently shoot through elk at a smoking 180 fps. Again, not a problem, they've treated me more than wonderfully.

Yep you are going to have to add a sharpening skill to your woodsmanship, or get to know someone, either way I can't see how that's a negative.

"probably not the best" is a pretty week way to make a point. I've regularly seen them shoot great past 50 yards out of a mathews. But you're right, they are the antithesis of a glorified field point expandable head which masks shooter error, until they lose all energy on a bad impact, barely penetrating.

Poor tuning skill, taking poor shots and poor sharpening skill aren't reflections on what is a very deadly broadhead.

If those are your reasons quitting using them, great...assuming you've ever actually used one in the first place.

13-Aug-14
I've probably killed 10x the game you have with Simmons and absolutely believe every bowhunter should try them even if they have to hire them sharp and tuned. You don't know who you are talking too...that's obvious. I havnt stopped using them on elk...I have never started because I have never hunted elk. I plan on going for them this year, Lord willing I will be out in 3 weeks. Lots to do between now and then. I just answered your question based on what I see in most archers...too lazy to do the work and go the extra mile and that is what Simmons call for...getting off your rear and working. Most archers don't own a Broadhead target that will slow one down.

13-Aug-14
I've killed most of my elk with the landsharks (155 maybe 160 grain) broadheads. I love them. I shoot them with an Easton Axis arrow (forgot the specs - sorry, I shoot what works and replace when I need to). I use a Bowtech Allegiance #76.

I have blown through every elk I have shot - from 10 yards to 26 yards (longest shot on an elk - hear shot).

I think the heads are great (personal choice/opinion). I will not change from them. However, I will not use them on elk this year since I did not draw a tag (DANG!!!).

JBone

14-Aug-14
The first two Elk I ever shot were with Simmons heads. They worked great! But then I couldn't find them when I went to buy more, and now they don't even make the replaceable blade heads any more. Shame too, at .080 they were thick. So I shoot Magnus now.

• Sitka Gear