wyobullshooter 14-Aug-14
Jeff Durnell 16-Aug-14
moosenelson 17-Aug-14
coyote hunter 17-Aug-14
BOHNTR 17-Aug-14
13-Aug-14

TREESTANDWOLF's embedded Photo
TREESTANDWOLF's embedded Photo
I had the opportunity to hike10 miles of the Appalachian Trail last weekend with Ridgerunnerron.

Weighted pack and all with plenty of fluids, but some food would have been a good idea, considering how many calories we burned.

Just looking for some ideas and input from the non - rookies!

13-Aug-14
Peanut butter and bacon with bagels or totillos, GORP, Power Bars, Jerky, PB&J sandwich, and I too like fruit snacks. If water is available I have even packed an MRE or Mountain House with my small stove. Bean burritos are good too.

13-Aug-14
I like jack links cheese and pepperoni stick combo packs.. I prefer the jalepeno one. Rice crispi treats..

13-Aug-14
I make a mix of almonds, craisons, and m&m's.

13-Aug-14
Peanut Butter, Bacon, and Honey Burrito's.

13-Aug-14
I make fruit leather from applesauce,strawberries,rasberries and or blueberries,bananas and honey. Grind it up in a food processor and spread it on fruit sheets in my dehydrater

13-Aug-14
These are great, we have a 20 miler coming up and some of this is coming with us!

13-Aug-14
I find the snickers peanut butter bars to be hard to beat. (Yellow wrapper) they warm me up on those cold November morning sits. I buy me bite size by the bag

13-Aug-14
Lots and lots of dried prunes. :) I mainly eat jerky, pb crackers.

13-Aug-14
There are a few snack items that I won't be caught without in my pack this fall:

- Bacon Jerky (never get tired of it, can't say the same for beef jerky)

- Freeze Dried bananas & pineapple (munch on the bananas all day to help prevent leg cramps)

- Kind Bars (they come in a dizzying variety, without the monotonous flavor of protein bars)

- Almond M&M's

13-Aug-14
Fuzzy Bars!

13-Aug-14
Phillipine brand dried mangos.

They'll blow your mind and you can eat them for breakfast or a snack.

13-Aug-14
The power bar type things get really old to me, and I buy several brands every year. I just stocked up yesterday at REI. Can't even remember the different brands I bought.

I will put in a plug for Honey Stinger waffles though. I really like those little things, and they pack quite a few calories if I remember correctly. I always have some of those in my pack whether out west or home for treestand hunting

Bake

13-Aug-14
Mouthful of dried beans for breakfast, lots of water for lunch, then you just swell up for supper

13-Aug-14

IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
Hard baguette, package of pepperoni, and some hard cheese like Manchego.

Cut it open, throw in the pepperoni and cheese, wrap in foil, throw it on the fire.

When it starts to sizzle, flip it. When it sizzles again, take it off.

So much better than Freeze dried meals and you can keep the ingredients in your backpack for days (ziplock the bread) without them going bad or getting smashed.

13-Aug-14
Dang, Idyl, that looks good!

13-Aug-14
Peanut butter, bacon, and honey on a whole wheat bagel!

13-Aug-14
Wow your campfire sandwich looks good. I might have to try that with thick slabs of my bacon jerky in place of the pepperoni ;-)

13-Aug-14
Idyl, I didn't think you Californicators could have any kind of sandwich without avocado on it??? ;-)

13-Aug-14
This sounds unserious, but has anybody tried dry dog food. It's got everything an active dog needs and I know it want hurt you because my baby use to eat the heck out of it right out of the dogfoid bowl

13-Aug-14
My neighbour went in a dog food diet for those reasons. Long story short he wound up in the hospital with tubes in his nose.

Apparently got hit by a car when he was peeing on a fire hydrant.

13-Aug-14
SEND THIS PERSON TO THE EDITORS FOR ATTENTION...

This sounds unserious, but has anybody tried dry dog food. It's got everything an active dog needs and I know it want hurt you because my baby use to eat the heck out of it right out of the dogfoid bowl

Only you TBM, only you!!! LOL

13-Aug-14
Honestly hard to beat almond snickers bars for me. Good protein and plenty of catbs.

13-Aug-14
Midwest, it'd definitely be better with avocado, but they're too dang heavy and when ripe, they get smashed in your pack.

13-Aug-14
I looked at this thread hoping for some new ideas for snacks while antelope hunting. Some of it sounds pretty good. But bean burritos in a pop-up ? I don't think so ! And dried prunes, love 'em , but no way ! LOL

13-Aug-14
TBM,

woof, woof!! Scooby snacks are good.

13-Aug-14
King size Babe Ruth

13-Aug-14
You can aways take foiled wrapped tuna/tuna salad or salmon on 2 pieces of tortillas.. I also like the bacon peanut butter with honey on tortillas.. But I premix the honey and peanut butter together.. Ed

13-Aug-14
so far nothing here is very impressive...except that sandwich. I for sure have never had anything like that in my day pack.

13-Aug-14
Snickers, Clif Bars, jerky, Honey Stinger Waffles, trail mix. Did I say Snickers?

13-Aug-14
maple syrup is a good substitute for honey on the bacon/peanut butter/tortilla bombs

if it's warm I take Paydays. Never melt.

13-Aug-14
forgot small bite-size tootsie rolls also no melt but can be tooth breakers in extreme cold so just let them rest between your cheek and gum for a while

13-Aug-14

Russell 's embedded Photo
Russell 's embedded Photo
Here's some of the snacks I carry. Clif Bars and Shot Bloks for carbs (energy). Quest Bar for protein.

13-Aug-14
Smoked almonds, dried pineapple chunks, honey roasted cashews, goldfish crackers. That's my usual snackage.

13-Aug-14
In addition to stuff mentioned above. A package or 2 of spam singles, jalapeño Vienna sausages or barbecue , referred to as "bull peter" in our camp. Always have a handful of assorted candy bars. Use your imagination, lots of great snacks out there.

13-Aug-14
Bite sized snickers, I greatly prefer the almond ones when I can find them! We also like wheat thins. Salami sandwiches with muenster cheese is our lunch. We like to make the sandwiches with the Sarah Lee sandwich thins I think they are called, they don't get mushy like regular bread, also helps to put the condiments between the meat and cheese to keep need from getting soggy too! The Roman legions marched on the known world with salami in their bellies for fuel!

13-Aug-14
^^^ Gross

13-Aug-14
What's gross? Salami is dope!

13-Aug-14
Idyll, I think I'll just pack that on my next hunt to have as a mid week dinner. Something to recharge the soul.

13-Aug-14
Lara Bars are always in my pack.

14-Aug-14
Clif Bars, trail mix that I put together myself - mostly nuts w/ dried pineapple and apricots, dates are great for quick energy.

14-Aug-14
dried FRUITS OF ALL KINDS PLUS Almonds ARE ALWAYS WITH ME ON A DAY HUNT USE YOUR IMAGINATION FOR comboS.

14-Aug-14
TBM that explains a lot

14-Aug-14
Edit Your Thread Submission SEND THIS PERSON TO THE EDITORS FOR ATTENTION...

SEND THIS PERSON TO THE EDITORS FOR ATTENTION...

"Why is this on my post???? I never reported anything??? I was enjoying the thread and boom this shows up on my post???

14-Aug-14
I tried the dog food thing, but stopped, because I went to lick my balls and fell off the couch

I will be taking some other sandwiches along this year, tried them the last couple years, and they'll keep for a couple days if kept moderately cool. . . . croissants, cut in half, pepper jack cheese, turkey and ham, spicy mustard

I've eaten the peanut butter and bacon sandwiches, actually really like them when warm. But can't hardly choke them down when more than a day old

Bake

14-Aug-14
A couple packs of frosted Poptarts(I like blueberry and strawberry) make a pretty good snack. Easy with no fuss. Plenty of calories with a sugar pick me up.

14-Aug-14
TBM, if you knew what they put in dog food for fillers you wont have let your baby eat any of it, IF you had let your baby eat any of it to begin with.

14-Aug-14
Bean burritos in camp are fine just remember the Beano or substitute fart prevention. Your buddies will thank you!

14-Aug-14
I tried the dog food thing, but stopped, because I went to lick my balls and fell off the couch

Hilarious!

14-Aug-14
yep, Fuzzy Bars! :-)

14-Aug-14
An Apple is my favorite trail snack.

14-Aug-14
Cliff bars are nasty to me, but I love them Honey Stinger Waffles. Mike

14-Aug-14
Bake, you win :-)

14-Aug-14
Have any of y'all ever been around a restaurant when the pumpers come by to empty the grease bins, grease traps, or grease barrels?

The smell would knock a cross-eyed buzzard off of a gut-wagon.

That stuff goes to a rendering plant.

From there it goes to soapmakers, and dogfood manufacturers.

Seriously.

14-Aug-14
Fuzzy, I used to be able to empty a few myself for bear bate so yes, I know exactly what you are talking about! Makes great bear bait though.......

14-Aug-14
I've had the same morning snack for the last 30yrs. Homemade elk summer sausage and trail mix (M&M 's, fancy mixed nuts, and cashews). I will admit it's sometimes hard to wait till it's "morning snack" time!

16-Aug-14
Veggies, nuts, seeds, low sugar fruits, good trail bars like some of the Kind bars, and I'll eat wild edibles when I come across them, in fact I always take grocery bags with me and sometimes I come back with more food than I left with.

17-Aug-14
If you knew the meats that go into dogfood you wouldn't wanna touch it.

We dehydrate bananas, make jerky and this year we are doing candied bacon. Stuff is awesome!

Tried dehydrating water but couldn't find a container that would keep it fresh.

17-Aug-14
Moosenelson don't be holding out on us !!! Tell us more about the candied bacon !!!!! LOL

17-Aug-14
ProBar.......meal replacement. The Berry Blast is the bomb. All natural and very healthy. Will ward off any hunger for sure while giving you energy.

• Sitka Gear