WoodMoose 13-Aug-14
Tom 13-Aug-14
sticksender 13-Aug-14
Tom 14-Aug-14
sticksender 14-Aug-14
BoonROTO 14-Aug-14
Don K 14-Aug-14
13-Aug-14
May need to take a Satellite phone on trip to NM. Live in MN but am having trouble finding one except for in the cities. I live in central MN. Anybody have any suggestions as to where to rent one?

13-Aug-14
I've had good luck with satellitephonestore.com

Next time I need one though, I'll probably purchase an InReach texting system and subscription instead. No voice capability, but it tracks your global position and also sends and receives standard freestyle text messages via the Iridium network to anyone's mobile phone or email.

13-Aug-14
Where are you going? Some units have very good reception if you have Verizon

13-Aug-14
I have always rented Iridium SAT phones (9555) from Roadposts. They are in Canada and ship their phones overnight if need be. Their gear has always been in great shape, worked good and reasonably priced.

Mark

13-Aug-14
I rented from Mobal in 2012 without a problem. This year I'm just renting a SPOT,not sure from who yet.

13-Aug-14
Sticksender, do you have any firsthand experience with the InReach or any close friends with first hand experience? I almost bought one two years ago when they first came out but decided to wait and see how bad the bugs were before making a decision to purchase one.

13-Aug-14
sent you a PM

13-Aug-14

WoodMoose's Link
I've used explorer satellite several times,,,good folks and great service,,,,

13-Aug-14
I have Verizon and there is no reception there

13-Aug-14
BoonRoto- Yes those Delorme InReach units work nicely. On my sheep hunt in NWT last month, the Outfitter was switching all his guides over from Sat Phones to InReach. The newer models are improved with more navigation features, and can be used stand-alone or linked to your smart phone. Best part is none of the struggles familiar to Sat Phone users.....no dropped calls, no hunting for a flawlessly-clear view of the sky, etc. You buy the device for 300-ish dollars, then sign up for their low-cost month-to-month subscription. You can just turn off your subscription when you don't need it.

14-Aug-14
The InReach system. How would one go about getting ahold of some local DR or emergency people if something happened on the mountain? I like the idea of texting anybody, wife would really be happy knowing everything is ok. Do local law enforcement or emergency take text?? Never even thought about it before

14-Aug-14
This page explains their Emergency Response network:

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/emergency-response.php

14-Aug-14
I was almost sold on the InReach before they were put through the paces, sounds like I am in for a trip to REI. Thanks Sticks

14-Aug-14
I just bought a Inreach SE and it was delivered today. Gander Mountain has a 50 dollar rebate and I found a instant 25 dollar coupon online with free shipping.

As far as renting a sat phone I have rented from Mobalcom and they where good.

With the Inreach costing 225, and the new plans where you can suspend the service, along with being able to pull up topos its a great deal.

• Sitka Gear