Vids 14-Aug-14
danny.a 17-Aug-14
justinspicher 17-Aug-14
Aaron Johnson 17-Aug-14
ohiohunter 17-Aug-14
Aaron Johnson 17-Aug-14
ohiohunter 17-Aug-14
13-Aug-14
I hear a lot about what people do to get themselves in shape for the mountains.... does anyone stretch in the am or when they are done in the evening? I have played a lot of basketball and can do a lot of things but I know my body always takes it better if I stretch. just curious doing my first diy in under 30.

13-Aug-14
I do before and after every workout. I especially like to work my spine with cat stretches and twisting. The older I get, the more important it is to keep my flexibility.

13-Aug-14

tobinsghost's embedded Photo
tobinsghost's embedded Photo
All day long!!!

I bought a piece of pvc and cut it to my liking. I use it to stretch out shoulders, do overhead squats and side twists. The big gals in the office laugh at me as I do stretches while waiting on the printer. They just sit all day on their rear ends.

13-Aug-14
Yes. And before I head out to hunt I always use my Bowfit to loosen up draw muscles.

Tobinsghost, I bet those big gals have some "stretch marks" of their own! :-)

13-Aug-14
The older I get the more important it becomes for me!

13-Aug-14
All day long!!!

I bought a piece of pvc and cut it to my liking. I use it to stretch out shoulders, do overhead squats and side twists. The big gals in the office laugh at me as I do stretches while waiting on the printer. They just sit all day on their rear ends.

13-Aug-14
Always. Herniated 2 discs years back and now its a necessity

13-Aug-14

Cazador's Link
I do a couple "shake weights"

13-Aug-14
getreal- Sounds like you're talking about stretching during hunts. If so, yes each morning before climbing I find a chest-high deadfall, stump or steep bank, etc, and stretch out both legs. Then repeat in the evening before crawling into the tent.

cazador, there's something a little bit disturbing about that ad...

13-Aug-14
sticksender u got it... not too interested in these guys stretching the rest of the year.... mainly while hunting in the mountains

14-Aug-14
If your working out, gotta be stretching out. A good midday stretch keeps my body from tightening up and you stay feeling good day after day. My partners laughed at me the first day or two I stretched at camp, but by day 3 they followed along everyday.

14-Aug-14
I never ever used to stretch. 3 years ago, at 43 years of age I partially tore both achilles tendons while running hills getting ready for Colorado. The past 3 years has been hell to say the least. My left one has finally healed (by doing NOTHING over the winter) and my right one is almost completely healed. I now stretch before and after I do ANYTHING.

Trust me, you don't want partially torn achilles ~ the doctor even said it's better to completely tear it because then they can go in and fix it and you are back at it in 4 to 6 months. With partially torn achilles the normal heal time is 2 years.

14-Aug-14
If any of you have a dog watch what they first do when they get up from a nap. Stretch! Do what the dogs do!!

14-Aug-14
"Do what the dogs do!!"

My tongue isn't that long.

I mostly run and they bounce back and forth on the importance of stretching. I believe the latest is you shouldn't stretch before running, but it is hard to keep up. I always start out with an easier jog before working up to faster speeds. So, that is a kind of stretch.

14-Aug-14
Whenever I hike, run, bike or use the machines. Like Bear says, I always stretch the calves and achilles. Nothing worse that trying to come back after a torn(or partially torn) achilles!

It doesn;t take long for a thorough stretch. You can do all body parts in less than 10 min. But VERY important.

I don;t do ANY exercise/activity without doing at least 5 min of stretching.

14-Aug-14
I read John Douillard's book, "Body, Mind, and Sport" about 3 years ago and have integrated his program into my daily routine.

In the AM I do 10x "Solar Salutations" - it's a full body yoga stretch, hitting the legs, torso and upper body just enough to get in-the-groove.

I also do these before and after workouts, paired with some rubber-band work and time on the foam-roller.

Recently I've started using a lacrosse ball to work on my back, IT band and Achilles tendon when they get extra tight.... something I'd highly recommend.

KOBE BRYANT reached the ago of 30yrs and recognized his athletic performance was decreasing... to extend his career he stretches for 30mins before and after games, workouts, etc. This stuff works, and only takes 1/2 that amount of time for a 'normal' guy... definitely worth checking out.

14-Aug-14
Lou let me be the first to say ewwww!

Get real if its not a habit u probably won't do it while ur hunting.

14-Aug-14
Dynamic stretching before working out always, static stretching ONLY after working out and the body is warm, pliable, and able to accept the stretches. Static sustained stretches are designed to hold a position for a joint or a muscle that is minimally challenging. The focus is on relaxing the body part being stretched and letting it go further on its own. Research suggests that holding the position for 30–60 seconds will increase flexibility in the tissue; conversely, done prior to activity, static stretching may actually inhibit the muscle’s ability to fire.

14-Aug-14
One advantage to getting older is you listen to your body. I stretch 2-3 times a day. Muscles shorten over time, you lose flexibility- stretching is key.

14-Aug-14
getreal - I always stretch before hitting the hay. I don't always sleep that great in the tent, and stretching helps me sleep better. My legs feel better in the morning and takes less time to get them warmed/loosened up. I don't normally stretch in the morning, preferring to get the blood flowing and moving the lactic acid from the day before out of those muscles.

14-Aug-14
I have come to believe stretching and maintaining your range of motion in all joints is paramount to staying in good hunting shape. I spend 15 minutes every morning stretching my hammies and shoulders before I go to work. I'm convinced it is what is keeping me working as I have bad shoulders and lower back (sciatic) issues otherwise. For my workouts, I usually run 2-3 times a week and do weight work a couple times a week. But I stretch religiously every morning.

14-Aug-14
my chiropractor recommends that I get out of my office chair several times a day and stretch and roll my head around to keep my neck limber. one year I was doing Tia Chi stretching exercises during my lunch and he commented on that my joints was doing better than normal. I changed jobs and gotten out of that routine and now doing worse.

14-Aug-14
I always stretch before workouts, and always before putting on pack and hiking up the hill.

17-Aug-14
Scoot X2 "I stretch every morning (mostly hamstrings and back), before and after every workout, and most nights before I go to bed. I also stretch my hamstrings and back before I leave camp in the morning on a hunt and occasionally during the day if I start to tighten up. For me, an ounce of prevention is definitely worth a pound of cure." I also use a basketball aired up tight and roll up and down on my back, relieves tight muscles

17-Aug-14
Made it a habit to stretch before work and before bed each day, regardless of the time. Make it a habit and you'll be better off in the long run.

17-Aug-14
I prefer to warm leg muscles up and get good flow to your extremities with a brisk walk or light jog for five minutes before stretching. Cold muscle stretching doesn't do much for me personally.

17-Aug-14
Ahh, but be careful aaron. Warm stretching has I higher probability of injury.

17-Aug-14
Really? Please do explain.

17-Aug-14
my bad, It's the opposite... had a tbm moment

• Sitka Gear