elkmtngear 16-Aug-14
grasshopper 16-Aug-14
WillPower 16-Aug-14
badbull 16-Aug-14
Gene 16-Aug-14
caller79065 17-Aug-14
Florida Mike 17-Aug-14
15-Aug-14
Are snakes (rattlers) a problem in CO in Sept?

15-Aug-14
Depends on where you are. Below around 8,000 and you might see some. Above 8,000 and the probability goes down, above 9,000, pretty unlikely although there are always exceptions.

15-Aug-14
Really? Snakes are what you're worried about?

15-Aug-14
Come to Flar-duh! We got snakes, our snakes have snakes. Mike

15-Aug-14
What Mike said! :)

15-Aug-14
A couple of years ago a prairie rattler crawled into an antelope blind with me. I discovered if you scream like a little girl really loud they will run away!

15-Aug-14
Was it the screams or the involuntary waterfall that did it? Mike

15-Aug-14
I am not afraid of snakes; I repesct them. When I was younger I would catch them. I spent time in the mountains looking for timber rattlers.

I have turkey hunted in TX and never seen a snake. In the middle of the day during down time I looked for them; never seen any.

I was just wandering if I need to be aware of them when I am hunting Western Co in Sept.

15-Aug-14
Snakes have no sense of hearing. So, if alone and you scream, no witnesses. :)

15-Aug-14
All I know is that Rattlesnakes taste good.....with butter and garlic.

15-Aug-14
THUNDERHEAD...that was AWESOME!!!

15-Aug-14
Biggest rattler I seen in the wild was my first confirmed bow kill and as mentioned it was delicious, but I coated with flour and seasoned and fried it, tasted like frog legs to me. And just for the record, it was in the Sierra Madres of California at over 8k feet. Only rattler I've ever seen in high country and I killed it so your safe!

15-Aug-14
Saw a large diamond back in the Gila. We were probably only at 7k at the time. I don't mind snakes but if they are poisonous or aggressive they die. My older friend swerved to miss him and said "that snake is not hurting anything".

15-Aug-14
I did manage not to pee my pants.

I don't mind snakes, used to own a python. I shifted my body to look to the far left and I heard this funny sound. (he didnt really buzz just shook his tail back and forth once or twice)He had crawled under the blind and was laying inches from my camera and pack. Maybe a foot from my boot. I swung my leg up and to the opposite side of the chair screaming the whole way. He turned and departed the way he had came. The blind was backed up in a tall patch of weeds so I never saw him again.

15-Aug-14
Some of you obviously have never hunted in AZ before! I know you asked about snakes in CO and I have no comment because I've never come across a rattler while elk hunting there. In AZ there are plenty of snakes and one in particular you need to be aware of, the Mojave Green Rattle Snake. Very aggressive and if it bites you you'll be lucky to make it back to your vehicle. Google it and you'll see what I'm talking about. I saw one in unit 10 on an elk hunt. I threw a rock at it to scare it away and the damn thing came after us. Like I said, very aggressive and very poisonous!

15-Aug-14
I've seen one at just under 10k in Co. and know of a den site at 8400ft. on the NM line.

16-Aug-14
Some of you obviously have never hunted in AZ before! I know you asked about snakes in CO and I have no comment because I've never come across a rattler while elk hunting there. In AZ there are plenty of snakes and one in particular you need to be aware of, the Mojave Green Rattle Snake. Very aggressive and if it bites you you'll be lucky to make it back to your vehicle. Google it and you'll see what I'm talking about. I saw one in unit 10 on an elk hunt. I threw a rock at it to scare it away and the damn thing came after us. Like I said, very aggressive and very poisonous!

16-Aug-14
Be afraid....be VERY AFRAID! Seriously, they are out and about in September. I ran into one above 9000ft. so IMO elevation means squat.

16-Aug-14
Hunted NW CO 15 years 8500 to 10,500 ft...never saw a snake of any kind. Lions and Bears, but no snakes.

16-Aug-14
I swear I involuntarily jumped 15 feet vertical and 12 foot forward in one bound last time I got buzzed. It was a world record jump, to bad no one witnessd it.

16-Aug-14
Interesting, have only run into rattlesnakes in the Missouri Breaks, things were everywhere !

16-Aug-14
If you are hunting antelope in northern Colorado, you should be aware of them. The strain up there seems more aggressive than any others that I have run into. They seem to be a smaller variety but fast......badbull

16-Aug-14
For those of you that haven't seen this footage of our Bowsite founder, Pat Lefemine, you need to check this out!!!Go to Photos/videos,click on Bowhunting TV,go back to March 31 2008, and check out "Trapped in blind with a black mamba", Part 1 an 2. WOW - now there is a snake that do not want to run into!!!!

17-Aug-14
My wife and I were stalking a bedded group of elk in some open country last year in northern NM at about 8600 ft. We removed our boots when we got within a couple hundred yards and were only wearing one pair of thick socks. I was in the lead, when my wife said "Ronnie" fairly loudly. I stopped and she said "snake". We were in some low sage, and I couldn't see it. I walked back to her and she pointed and finally I saw a small, dusty blue looking rattler about 14 in long. She said I stepped right over it, and she only saw it just before she stepped on it. I tried to kill it, but it got into a hole. Im kinda glad it got away since it gave me a pass. That's the first one we have seen in 7 years. It changed my whole outlook on stalking in socks. I will still do it, but I will be looking at the ground a lot harder.

17-Aug-14
"It changed my whole outlook on stalking in socks. I will still do it, but I will be looking at the ground a lot harder. "

Hahahahaha, welcome to Flar-duh! When your surrounded you always look "a lot harder"! Mike

• Sitka Gear