AZ~Rich 17-Aug-14
IdyllwildArcher 17-Aug-14
WapitiBob 17-Aug-14
Knothead 17-Aug-14
ABQBW 23-Aug-14
'Ike' (Phone) 23-Aug-14
WapitiBob 23-Aug-14
15-Aug-14
For anyone interested in really understanding how the Arizona draw system works, Steve Chappell (Chappell Guide Service) has an excellent DVD out that explains the system, in detail. In addition to explaining the draw system, Steve also points out strategies to give applicants the best chance to draw a tag and avoid some common mistakes.

This DVD answered some questions I had about the confusing draw system and the information could prove to be priceless - and there are a couple of hunts included too!

15-Aug-14
...or inquire with WapitiBob. :-)

15-Aug-14
There is that option too!

15-Aug-14
Too funny of a Thread!!

What is next--a Huntin' Fool Strategies Thread?

HAHA----lame....

Good luck, Robb

16-Aug-14
Jeezus h, $49.99 ??

$$

Several of us will tell you anything that's on that DVD for free.

16-Aug-14

Ed's Link
The woman who facilitates the draw did an interview with a Phoenix radio station earlier this year. At the bottom of the article is an audio clip of her explanation of the draw.

-Ed

16-Aug-14
She did a spectacular job of explaining it IMO.

16-Aug-14
Ed, good info but that interview was 100% resident-based....no info on the intricacies involving NR's in the draw.

But then again, none of the NR draw stuff is a mystery anymore, since WapitiBob and others have long-since cleared it all up for any Bowsiter who's even mildly paid attention over the past several years.

And it was all done for free!

17-Aug-14
More power to Chappell if he can get people to buy it, but don't people ever read a proclamation anymore? It's not that complicated.

17-Aug-14
The only two things that are different for Non Residents in the above explanation are (1) NR trophy fees are more which everyone knows and (2) in hunts that are high demand like sheep, buffalo, elk, or antelope the 10% NR Cap is being implemented.

Meaning: If by chance the number of NR applicants who are lucky and draw tags reaches 10% (rounded down) of the total tags for hunts like elk. antelope,deer turkey and javelina; all subsequent NR applicants for those hunts will not have a chance for any tags still left in the draw.

For Sheep and Buffalo hunts the NR rule is the Dept will make available no more than one NR tag or 10% of the total hunt permit tags (which ever is greater). For Bighorn, NRs can draw no more than 50% nor more than two available tags in any given hunt number. In hunts where there is only one tag available, no NRs will be considered for the draw.

For elk, antelope, deer, turkey, javelina if there is 10 or less tags in a hunt, only one can go to a NR, and similar to Bighorn, if only one tag is available it cannot go to a NR.

17-Aug-14
You can't spend all of February - June turkey/bear hunting.

I learned all the western state draw systems in one off season. Between the DFGs websites and just discussions here with info from Bob, Robb, and others, everything you need to know is at your fingertips for every state and just takes some time and research.

You'll learn so much along the way, you'll end up with better hunting opportunities in the long run if you just learn it all yourself.

17-Aug-14
The 10% NR cap is going to a 5%/5% split, Bonus Pass/1-2 Pass in 2016. If only a single NR tag is available, it will be available to the Bonus Pass applicants.

A new draw report that Amber and I have discussed for the last 5 years showing applicants by Bonus Point level, split res/NR, on a per hunt basis is in the works but may be part of their "upgraded" membership in the new dept Customer Portal and not published on the web.

If you don't know which hunts "historically" have tags dropping down to the 1-2 pass, you're chances at a NR tag are slim to none with less than max points. Even then, things can change. Looking at the mags and Hunters Trailhead odds, none of them have those actual numbers.

17-Aug-14
My advice to NR's with max points is to rethink draw unit strategy. If/when they go to the 5&5 rule it will be more difficult to draw. Better use those points fast and then start over. At least you will have a chance to draw every year if this goes through. This is also very good news for the NR's without max points. Especially the NR newbs just entering elk scene. Good Luck

23-Aug-14
I am so glad I cashed in my 14 elk pts in AZ this year. I don't think I coulda done better next than the U1 tag I drew this year with 15 pts. This is undoubtedly the first time I didn't get slaughtered by a change in a bonus pt system.

23-Aug-14
Marketing...Plain and simple!

23-Aug-14
Yur gunna like that unit 1 tag.

• Sitka Gear