elkbreath 20-Aug-14
Shiloh 20-Aug-14
Gaur 20-Aug-14
DL 20-Aug-14
DL 20-Aug-14
Pat C. 20-Aug-14
BlisteredHooves 21-Aug-14
17-Aug-14
Wrong! This is not TBM's thread. Thought you guessed it dintcha? lol But this thread is in his honor. First I have to ask: TBM, are you on Pat's payroll? Because your presence here is priceless. After this years elk season you will be a free agent. I'd be making demands!

Anyway... in looking at your worldwide success rate of 12% on elk I'd like to ask...

How menny elk hunterz here manigged to get an elk kilt on thare furst try?

I punch my tags steadily these days but my first two hunts 30 years ago were chalked up as learning experiences.

17-Aug-14
"I'd like to ask..."

ask = axe

17-Aug-14
Not me. First hunt, never seen one during hunting hrs. 2nd hunt we got into elk a couple times and I still can't believe how DIFFERENT it is from deer hunting. I deer hunt from the ground LOTS and I kinda run n gun em too but elk is totally different.

I hope tbm gets an elk but I think some of his preconceived ideas are going to cost him valuable time.

17-Aug-14
It was the third trip for me. All DIY on private ground in CO. Was into elk the first two hunts, but could not close the deal.

17-Aug-14
First trip I killed a cow.

17-Aug-14
First DIY trip killed a bull on the first morning. The next 3 years after that.... 0-3

17-Aug-14
Took me 6 years, but there weren't nearly as many elk back then and I was holding out for a good bull because there were some around. We didn't know about diaphragms or magical Hoochie Mamas back then, and our bugles were coiled gas pipe and wooden flutes from the import store.

After I learned to voice bugle, the game changed for me. Then after I learned to cow call with a diaphragm, the game REALLY changed.

Then everybody learned how to cow call with a diaphragm or other squeaky call, calling to the elk after they'd already spooked them or been scented or calling them in and getting whiffed, and the odds leveled back out.

Now there are so many elk a guy can practically flock shoot from any road and kill a 300" bull. ;-)

17-Aug-14
I lost a tough old cow first weekend I ever hunted them, was using a spitfire mechanical and the arrow broke right behind the insert when it hit her in a rib.

17-Aug-14
I was fortunate to take a bull my first time out.

17-Aug-14
Been twice. First hunt had some awesome encounters. One whiff at a pretty long shot that I was unable to range. Second hunt killed a 6x6.

17-Aug-14
Been two years and hoping third time is a charm. Learned a lot in two years and will continue this year filled tag or not.

17-Aug-14
Third year I finally shot a cow. Still working on shooting one with horns:) Not for lack of effort just lack of ability to keep my Sh*t together when they come in:)

17-Aug-14
Killed a 6x6 my first outing with a bow but I had a few under my belt from hunting with a rifle.

17-Aug-14
Killed bulls 1st three trips out. Struck out last year. Never had an elk in range except for the one my buddy killed

Bake

17-Aug-14
I had tag soup my first venture OTC CO trip, but since have batted 1000 on my hunts and helping others. With out a doubt some of the most humbling experiences and always learning with every boot track.

I think I'd trade 2wks of nm elk rut hunting for the 4mo of whitetail season back east every time. Bugling elk make my pants crowded :D

17-Aug-14
My 1st elk hunt was A DIY trip to Colorado, September 2002. It was actually the first time this flatlander had ever even seen the Rockies....let alone hunted there. I received ALOT of good advice right here on Bowsite....which helped the learning curve immensely.

Called in and arrowed a raghorn 5X5 @ 17 yards on my 6th day of hunting.

Went back in 2004, killed another raghorn on the 5th day of hunting. Third trip was 2007, and my 3rd bull was on the ground by day 4.

Stopped shooting raghorns after that...so I do know what elk tag soup tastes like....LOL!

17-Aug-14
First two years DIY in Oregon = Nothing (1996 & 1997)

Booked with an Outfitter/friend and went to CO in 1998, killed a bull.

I would have never killed that bull without a Seasoned veteran calling for me, and calling the shots.

Of course, back then I didn't know about places like Bowsite where I could git idjicated like TBM iz dewin!

Best of Luck, Jeff

17-Aug-14
It took 6 hunts and 11 years for me to kill my first elk in 1991. It was a spike that I hit in the hind qtr. Thankfully, I hit the femoral artery and he only went about 350 yards. I've been about 70% since. All archery, never even had a rifle tag. Once I figured elk out and their patterns my success rate increased dramatically. In those early days I used to walk around just hoping to find something. Now I know what they do and where they are going.

By the way, I learned this all on my own. My dad was not a hunter but I had a couple friends in HS who got me into bowhunting. We camped together but we each went our separate way come morning. At night we sat around the fire eating crappy food and talking about our days adventure. We never got an elk or deer but we had a lot of fun.

17-Aug-14
Insane luck my first ever elk hunt lasted about 3 minutes of shooting light. Cow down on public land.

I was taking pictures before the sun came up :)

17-Aug-14
First year, and then on average every 1.3 years.

17-Aug-14
I killed a cow on my first and only trip. Using a 180 gr. Powerpoint broadhead out of a .300 WSM. Man, that thing is fast ! I know, I know...........she ate good though.........

17-Aug-14
Educated...not hardly...but I have confirmed whar I know about Turkey hunting will work on elk. I can relate to most everything everybody says about elk hunting because it is so much like Turkey hunting. So, if I might pre date my answer to September 16, 2014, yes , I killed a nice 300 inch herd bull on my first outing, Lord willing and I get out there and figure out how to get a tag so I can be legal. I have know interest in anything other than a legal public land bull.

17-Aug-14
On my 1st trip to Colorado elk hunting (2003) with a group that had hunted that area for 12 years. On my 6th day I roamed into a valley bottom alone, I Hoochi Mama called and had two bulls bugle back. After a few bugles back and forth I had a 5x5 charge down the drainage and gave me a 51 yard broadside, double lung, heart shot. I watched it travel 70 yards and fall over dead. Then the real work began. I've been hooked since.

17-Aug-14
My first year bowhunting elk was (1988) and my buddies invited me to tag along with them... First six days I didn't see a thing but my buddies would come back to camp and tell these crazy stories about all the elk they had seen, heard and chased. I'm thinking what the hell is wrong with me, I suck at this.... Then on the seventh day the sky opened up and rained elk all around me. Bugles everywhere, I didn't know which one to chase. Then after 2 hrs of almost constant bugling (hundreds), they shut up. So now i'm thinking damn this is fun and I head back to camp. So I walk a little ways and think maybe I should bugle. I get an immediate response and no sooner than i pinpoint his direction I see him walking right at me, bugling every step of the way, at about 75 years. I get on my knees and he's getting closer and closer. I think crap this is going to happen and come to full draw. He stops at 15 yards, facing head-on and I'm at full draw right in front of him. My buddies told me never take a head-on shot so I hold at full draw waiting for him to turn sideways. Just when I think I can't hold any longer he turns. I let it fly and watch as my arrow buries in his chest. He walks about 20 yards and lays down. He's DONE.. Anyway, that was my first year, beautiful 295 5x5. One more note... nobody ever mentioned ivories (not ovaries TBM) and I didn't get them. So don't forget the ivories....

17-Aug-14
My first elk hunt was many years ago. I had a leftover cow tag for first rifle. I shot my cow on the last day with about a half hour of light left.

Fast forward to last year. My first archery hunt. After learning as much as I could from here I set out for Co. I didn't tag an elk last year but we seen elk every day and had a couple of chances that we blew. So I walked away thinking last year was a success.

Hopefully this year is the year I get my first archery elk. August 28th is right around the corner and I have a Co tag in my pocket.

17-Aug-14
By the way Mule. When I read the topic I thought for sure TBM. Lol

17-Aug-14
ive been fairly lucky having been on 11 archery elk hunts and killed 13 elk. never been skunked yet and have tons of great memories.

haven't been on an elk hunt since 09 with two other bowsiters due to family obligations, but finally getting the business and all that lined up so I can take some time off in September. wont happen this year but next year for sure ill be back at it.

michael

17-Aug-14
First hunt (gun) I shot a bull elk and a mule deer buck. That was the last time I gun hunted either. The next rip (first time with bow) I shot a bull elk and did so on my third trip. My fourth trip was to a good unit in NM and I drew on a bull at 20 yards that to this day would be my best bull and I ended up passing on the shot. I knew that I had a chance at a really good bull and took my chances. That changed my luck and I ended up with tag soup that hunt. I did have two more close encounters on that trip but was unable to close the deal. If I remember correctly I think that I had that trip and the next three that were unsuccessful before scoring again. One of those I missed a bull and the other I had a bull at 30 yards and spooked a cow with him when I lowered my rangefinder after ranging him. I feel lucky to have had all of the good encounters that I have had.

18-Aug-14
Tag soup 1st trip

Successful year 2 and 3

Year 4 is about to start...

18-Aug-14
Drew the Valle Vidal first try and was successful on a nice bull, drew the day before on a nicer bull but he winded me at 13yds.

18-Aug-14
if he eats dogfood he might gain an edge in trailing the herd

18-Aug-14

StrutNut's embedded Photo
StrutNut's embedded Photo
I was fortunate enough to harvest this elk on a DIY hunt in CO on public land. It was my first and only elk hunt to date. I called in several bulls but never got a good archery shot. Proud as can be with this one. I watched it drop 20 yards from where I shot her. I cant wait until I can afford to do it again!

18-Aug-14
There is really not an angle I can't take so that tips the odds way in my favor.

18-Aug-14
"We didn't know about diaphragms or magical Hoochie Mamas back then,Jaq"

You may be removed from Bigdans Christmas list for that comment! LOL, Mike

18-Aug-14

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Killed my first bull on my first elk hunt in '98

18-Aug-14

What a great experience for two flatlander cheesehead rookies. Here my buddy is loading up the horses we rented from Sombrero to pack my bull out.

18-Aug-14
TBM - If you haven't figured out "how to buy a license" yet, and don't know what area you're planning to hunt (Limited Draw vs OTC) then you may be in for a surprise!

Start reading the regulations NOW, as they ain't like 'Bama....

>>>>------Good Luck------->

18-Aug-14
I thot fur shur this TBM thred

I killed a spike my first time out but that was a rifle hunt right out your backdoor Mule Power. Haven't bowhunted elk yet but hope someday!

18-Aug-14
I struck out on my first year. Got a cow the second year. I have high hopes for year three.

19-Aug-14
1st elk hunt 2007 learned the rookie lesson, don't shoot an elk in the shoulder (staredown at 10 yards for 1 min), 2nd Elk hunt tag soup, 3rd hunt in 2012 took a big 6X6. Going back this year to MT for my second bull Elk by bow.

19-Aug-14
I still think you have some ace up your sleeve that you're not talking about TBM. An outfitter.... something.

Otherwise this is a reality check for you. There is such a thing as luck. But when you have never done something before there is no such thing as skill. Skills are acquired.

Numbers don't lie... 90 out of every 100 elk hunters go home empty handed. What makes you immune to that fact?

You know I wish you all the luck in the world man. Just keep your expectations realistic and have fun man. Now that you are laid off I think you should just move to Montana. Frank Zappa did. lmao

20-Aug-14
Killed a buck my first year with a bow, but it took me 6 years to kill a bull. Since then I have taken 7 and averaged about 2 every three years. All on Oregon public land.

20-Aug-14
"Numbers don't lie... 90 out of every 100 elk hunters go home empty handed. What makes you immune to that fact?"

I would bet that of the 90 that don't get it done there is at least one or more weaknesses in their game. Maybe they don't have a feel for the wind, or maybe they move at the wrong time, or can't perform under pressure. Possibly they are bad shots or use less than the best equipment. Maybe you they are weekend hunters, have limited time. Maybe they camp too far from elk, or lack mobility. Maybe they are lost at what they are doing...kind of like Johnny Manziel looked the other night. Possibly they don't know how to call, or when to be aggressive. Possibly they have a fear of going in ok deep, or are hunting poor areas with too much pressure. I might fall in some of these catagorys but hopefully not many. I think the turkey hunting has me closer than many..maybe even most. Sometimes the elk win...that's ok. But the same 10% that has success usually has success every year for a reason.. it can be figured out. I think every now and then someone can be in that 10% having never even hunted elk...I think that someone is me. Time will tell!

20-Aug-14
One thing to keep in mind Johnny Turkey...

Johnny Football has all the confidence in the world too ;^)

20-Aug-14
TBM,

How much of an adjustment was it for you to learn to cow call and/or bugle, with a diaphragm call, versus using the same mouth call design for clucks, yelps, purrs, cackles, gobbles, etc? ....or are you using a different type call?

Will your hunt be entirely solo.....or are you bowhunting with a friend, that will be calling from 50-100 yards behind you?

20-Aug-14
No Way! It took me close to 10 years I believe.

20-Aug-14
I've never blown an elk call in my life but have coyote howled and it's not much difference. I'm not worried about the calling...I'll get that down on the way out there. Got order a cow call and a bugle in my he next day or two. Yep...I'm hunting solo. I consider that an advantage.. two is one two many when it comes to hunting..three is a cluster freak. So what if it takes me 4 trips to pack one out..at least I killed one. Now if a bear gets me it would be great to have a buddy.. everything is a trade off.

20-Aug-14
"I'm not worried about calling...I'll get that down on the way out there"

Oh boy...

20-Aug-14
Soloing a bull is awesome, but it's not easy. Even if you know what you're doing.

20-Aug-14
after 6 to 10 hunts full of mistakes,I finally atarted killing elk. Then went 23 for 24 hunts.

20-Aug-14
Thread title should actually read:

"How many started "elkersizing" a month before they left, blew a few calls in the truck on the ride out, bought the tag at the last minute, and went out and killed an elk"

20-Aug-14
I atarted killing elk in my mind years ago...ready to do it outer body.

20-Aug-14
Thanks to my dad's learning curve being used on him and then given to me, I started out hot out of the gate with a bull every year from 14 till 22 and sometimes a cow to boot. Then, I switched to trad and that flipped my world upside down for a year, I just couldn't figure out how and when to draw, it was amaxing how different it made everything initially. I got close to a ton of elk but couldn't quite get it done. The first trad year was rough, out of frustration! Got that worked out the next year though and have been getting at least one every year since, now 13 years later.

But, I went with my dad every year since I was knee high and saw him go almost all of those without one. First bull I saw him kill, I was 12, back when Don Laubach was just starting to bring out E.L.K. calls.

I heard once, and I believe it; 10% of hunters kill 90% of the elk.

Getting one your first year, especially for you dudes living at 500 ft and not hunting with someone who has been there or at least knows the area, is a tall order but it can be done. Good luck to all.

20-Aug-14
Elkbreath,

How bout a friendly tip on drawing with trad gear. I have killed a few bulls, but this will be my first year trad and I don't have many elk to practice on in Ms;)

20-Aug-14
Last year was my first year and I killed a bull day two. Felt it was a gift but I suppose I did a few things right from all the threads I read on here and followed Elk101's methods for calling. Also had a local guy help me out to put me in the area and understand some of the daily patterns but I was hunting by myself when I killed the bull.

20-Aug-14
You guys make it sound difficult. It's just like hunting turkeys. You call they answer and come running. The secret is all in finding the tree that elk roost in at night. Set up nearby in the morning, throw out some elk decoys and whack one. Easy peasy. Just watch the TV shows. Only takes 15-20 minutes to bag an elk.

20-Aug-14
More like Brian Bosworth instead of Johnny goofball. Most remember what happen to big Bos when he met up with Bo Jackson.

20-Aug-14
I misunderstood the jist of this thread. I thought you were hunting elk in a kilt

21-Aug-14
I am the 10%... I have killed over 20 bulls with a bow all on public land in Idaho and Montana.

Most of em by myself.

When you hunt by yourself it is harder. Doing the calling and shooting is not easy.

Early season you might get a silly raghorn to make a mistake but herd bulls don't go down easily unless you are on ranch with Primos boys.

• Sitka Gear